Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
The chances are that the doors were not even locked despite leaving the keys in the ignition.. which in itself is a big no no.
If The passenger door was opening first then the entral locking was probably never engaged in the first place.
The moral is . Never overnight
in a Service station especially one near a ferry port and never leave keys in the ignition.
If we ever just stop in a service station one of us always stays with the van and all doors are kept locked even if just fuelling up. (y)
The OP was very lucky.
There is a nice secure campsite near Charles De Gaul road, in Calais, 5 minutes to sea front, about 20 minutes by the river to Calais centre where there are some nice restaurants, biggest pain about Calais was getting through the Port we thought in April it would be quick it took us about 1.5 hours to reach ferry park.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just put a rachet strap between the door handles and due it up
Not a deterrent. Friends of ours, getting out of Spain when COVID hit parked in a motorway services near Claremont Ferrand after driving for 12+ hours.
The scrumbags managed to force the passenger door open enough to cut the strap.
Friends woke up and only an empty pair of old trousers were stolen.

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Just thinking; our next trip later this month will be the first overseas with Jazz. She might look the part, but if burglars arrive with a ball or a frisbee, she'll be useless.

I have a cheap auto-play MP3 player connected to the rear speakers & wired-for-power via a relay from the alarm siren-output, and I've also fitted a manual inline off-switch so I can disable it when/if we have dogs onboard. ..... The only recording on it is a looped recording of one of our old pups that woofed like a savage wolf (but was in reality as soft as andrex), and when activated, it sounds from the outside like the Hound of the Baskervilles is trying to eat its way out.

Total cost sub-£15 and a couple of hours of easy wiring-in, and fortunately I've never needed it in anger (yet).

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
That's worrying. How can it be so easy to get into? What's the best way to overcome this, please?
When stopping at night I always ratchet all doors together that way they can't be opened from the outside even if they manage to unlock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I stayed the night in a motorway rest area on the E17 in France, heading towards Calais. At 6:30am I woke up to the sound of my cab doors unlocking, and the interior light came on in the cab. Then the passenger door started to open. I yelled "HEY" and it closed again, so fortunately nothing was lost. The motorhome is based on a 2017 Fiat Ducato chassis. The keys were in the ignition and I was sleeping in the back. There is no way that they could have had advance access to the actual key as I parked and went to bed without ever opening a door. My question is how did they manage to unlock the cab doors? Did they somehow pick the lock on the driver's side before coming around the the passenger side? Did they have a way of remotely reading the chip in the key that was in the ignition? Or is there another way of remotely defeating the locking system?
I don't want to sound unsympathetic or obnoxious in any way, but I really can't believe that anyone would contemplate stopping overnight on a motorway rest area in France after all the posts and publicity they've had on M/home fun and numerous other Motorhome websites, it's lucky they didn't open the drivers door first and spot the keys in the ignition and grabbed them and ran, you've had a really lucky escape.....just sayin.

Apr 22, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
GR73tLX:fzBDbY!
Exp
Burstner I'm new
We use these at night and every time we leave the moho together with the usual steering wheel, outer wheel, etc locks.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 082918.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Easiest way to unlock a van door? Force a screwdriver in, worse as this method will normally disarm alarms connected to the OBDP (alarm “arms when the door locks)

Motorways Aires? Thousands of people use them every night in the Summer, it’s what they’re for

Old ladies in convertible cars, asleep with a travel blanket over them, bikers asleep in sleeping bags next to their bike, families asleep in their cars, roof and windows open, all en route, all getting on with their lives, all using a facility designed to allow travellers to take a break and sleep, not forgetting the rufty tufty motorhomer’s, white knuckled, peering out through the cab curtains running commentary to “Doris” inside armed with an upside down can of pepper spray, wondering if they should remove their socks and crocs and Rohan trousers, or leave them on and sleep in shifts, ready for the inevitable break in!

We have always used motorway Aires when travelling, doors locked, alarm on and armed, bikes locked and protected via the alarm and I sleep like a baby.

I have no issues with people not using them! I just react to people try to put their own fear and neuroses on others “Ooooooo you mustn’t do that” “Oooooooo it’s not safe” when the facts are completely opposite

It’s really fine, it’s what they are there for

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not a deterrent. Friends of ours, getting out of Spain when COVID hit parked in a motorway services near Claremont Ferrand after driving for 12+ hours.
That's desperate, was there a trouser shortage in Covid as well?

OP
OP
seascape72
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
I can't recall all the numerous times we have had dire warnings about sleeping on french motorway Aires. And also leaving your keys in the ignition ( ask your insurance) .
Now just because I have said it in this thread , all of a sudden it's ok , so carry on.
I think a little common sense is in order. We have all been conditioned to think that leaving keys in the ignition is a sin. But surely there is a difference between leaving the keys in the ignition and the vehicle unattended (big no no), and leaving the keys in the ignition while staying inside the vehicle with all the doors locked. Anyway these Aire scumbags are not trying to kidnap the vehicle and sleeping occupants. All they are doing is trying to sneak in and swipe cash and valuables, so they are not interested in the keys. I'm not saying I am proud of accidentally leaving keys in the ignition but I don't think it is as ridiculously reckless as some people seem to be implying. I only mentioned it in my post because I wasn't sure if keys located near a locked door could somehow be scanned from outside and provide method of entry. We now know that is not what happened.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
but I really can't believe that anyone would contemplate stopping overnight on a motorway rest area in France after all the posts and publicity they've had on M/home fun and numerous other Motorhome websites,

I really can't believe that anyone would contemplate leaving their home unattended when in the UK a home is burgled every 160 seconds.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I acquired the car in the article below after it was stolen from a driveway by the central locking being opened using a tennis ball with a hole in it placed over the key hole and bashed. 18 days old. Loaded onto a recovery truck in the middle of the night.

It was a hoot to drive.
View attachment 943262

View attachment 943263

View attachment 943264

Ah good old days.- I had one of those i the 80's. Actually I had 2. The first was stolen, joy ridden and written off after being found in a field.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We’ve dumped ours all over Europe, service areas included, only issue was in Schiedam Holland when nutters were banging the side of the van

You can get robbed on a campsite, car park, anywhere, surely everyone has parked up at the roadside, in a carpark and walked to shops etc.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Another one here who thinks the Motorway Aires are a fabulous free resource, especially if you have a Motorhome, and people really shouldn’t be put off making them part of their travel plans. I am normally in a hurry so a days driving, overnight on the motorway and I’m in Portugal the next (as an example). My bag with wallet and passport normally comes to bed with me, however, must confess, I have woken up many times when everything is still on the table. What eddie said is spot on. Almost a party atmosphere at many motorway Aires during July and August.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Did you know that thieves can pick locks!

The big question is why do we "lock them up" when we catch them?

Could it be that not all thieves can do all things?

My Personal Best break in and hot wire in under 20 seconds for MMM a few years ago!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I've slept in many motorway services on the continent some time in the UK but at hideaways I know.
Both in motorhome and when on motorbike tour.
Never been robbed ,gassed,or mugged. But always used with due diligence .
Never ever with keys left in ignition.
Heosafe locks on all doors (used them for years)

Though many years Back whilst wild camping at Port Bacares F the boss left washing out and one the kids spare swim costume went walkabouts found on the sand the next day .

Less wine, and more lock up self security when parking I recon.

As for opening locks a Tibbe key can be purchased online at the usual sites very easily

Screenshot_20240902_104839_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
if you have a Motorhome, and people really shouldn’t be put off making them part of their travel plans. I am normally in a hurry so a days driving, overnight on the motorway
What a great thread. It has reminded me to appreciate how wonderful it is to be old and retired.
I'm never in a hurry and never use motorways. During 40 years motorhoming I've only toured abroad as I only have a 20 miles drive to France (Newhaven port) and abroad I'm spoilt for choice with numerous peaceful places to overnight and no pre-booking necessary. :giggle:

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Fiat started fitting internal 'deflector' plates in 2017 to prevent this happening. Mine is a 2017 manufacture and I found them when I fitted Proplates. Still fitted the Proplates as a visual deterrent.
So does this mean Ducatos newer than 2017 are not vulnerable to this type of attack, or just a bit less vulnerable, or still as bad? Any personal experiences of owners with newer vans would be very helpful.

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Hang a cheap movement alarm in the middle, something like:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So would you advise others it’s a good idea ?

I'd advise others that the first and most important rule of Personal Security, is that "Everyone is responsible for their own security". It's a choice you make yourself.

Would I advise someone to park on an Aire and leave doors unlocked, or insecure? No, but plenty do just that, in fact most, if not all, of the reports of theft we read here, that is the case.

Further advice I might offer if asked; is that a couple of hours rest at a motorway service station is probably 1000 times safer than driving tired. And would also add that feeling safer sleeping at a proper aire, is just a feeling, and is probably no safer nor more dangerous than a motorway aire.

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740FGJ
Exp
Since 1986
Stayed at the Avia service area just north of Lyon two years ago, parked next to three other vans, a Dutch man came to us Sunday morning and said he’d been burgled, cash,cards,laptop taken, no sign of forced entry, we then realized we too had been burgled whilst asleep, cash and cards taken, no sign of forced entry. Someone suggested a scanner was used to gain entry?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back