Help me generate power ... mechanically! (2 Viewers)

Deleted User
Perhaps using less electricity is the way to go, we are supposed to be camping, especially when off site:)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The Honda EU10i 12 volt output is limited to 8 or 10 amps, not sure which. I have mine running on gas but couldn't say it is any quieter than when I ran it on petrol - if it is then not much. Having said that it is not as noisy as some generators.

Dave
Nobody should ever use the 12 volt output as it’s next to useless !
Far better to plug in a 12 volt smart charger to match your particular batteries.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Perhaps using less electricity is the way to go, we are supposed to be camping, especially when off site:)
My mate uses power only for lighting and he lives in his van with nothing but the upside down flower pot on his gas hob for heating.

Deleted User
My mate uses power only for lighting and he lives in his van with nothing but the upside down flower pot on his gas hob for heating.

I've still got some gas mantles if he can find the fittings:)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'd go for the smallest generator you can. To run heating appliances from electricity generated by gas/petrol is much less efficient than just using gas directly. You have refillable gas so its about as cheap as energy can be.

The telair generator looks quite good for occasional use but are expensive and apparently need quite a lot of servicing/parts replacement if used regularly. If desperate you could always stay on a site for a night to get a good charge, could be quite a lot of nights for the cost of a genny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think I would use one of these. You can convert Honda engines to run off gas so will be quieter. The idea behind these is that you need 12V DC not 240VAC which you then have to convert back to DC using a charger. Output of 55A means you don't have to run it for long to recharge batteries. Bit like driving the MH really. Easy enough to wire in. As it will be on for short periods you are not really going to annoy anyone.

https://www.macfarlanegenerators.com.au/products/150/Battery-Charger-12V-55A
Is that similar to the ones I occasionally see touted at MH shows as the 'all new brilliant design' etc generator????

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd go for the smallest generator you can. To run heating appliances from electricity generated by gas/petrol is much less efficient than just using gas directly. You have refillable gas so its about as cheap as energy can be.
... hence why the only thing I would really like to run from it would be the Remoska as we don't have an oven, otherwise it would mainly be for battery charging.

The telair generator looks quite good for occasional use but are expensive and apparently need quite a lot of servicing/parts replacement if used regularly. If desperate you could always stay on a site for a night to get a good charge, could be quite a lot of nights for the cost of a genny
Stay on a site! o_O With three dogs! :eek: I'm not that rich!!!! :D2

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
... hence why the only thing I would really like to run from it would be the Remoska as we don't have an oven, otherwise it would mainly be for battery charging.

We have two dogs and have rarely paid anything extra for them, perhaps UK sites do charge though, I wouldn't know. Acsi sites usually allow two with no extra charge and you can always hide one in the washroom:D

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
On reading this thread, I should qualify that my generator is used to charge the battery via the on-board Victron intelligent charger & connected via the EHU cable - 240v

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... try telling that to my fridge! o_O

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
... try telling that to my fridge! o_O
Had the lecture from my mate at Xmas about how we shouldn’t need a fridge and don’t need tv , shower etc etc ;)
Soon told him he picks and chooses the bits of modern life he likes and so do we which means we like our modern appliances and go motorhoming not camping (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Outside of Southern Spain and the Portuguese Algarve, you would be lucky to find one open anywhere in winter, in most of Europe.:D2
So you can stop panicing Mel.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Think I would use one of these. You can convert Honda engines to run off gas so will be quieter. The idea behind these is that you need 12V DC not 240VAC which you then have to convert back to DC using a charger. Output of 55A means you don't have to run it for long to recharge batteries. Bit like driving the MH really. Easy enough to wire in. As it will be on for short periods you are not really going to annoy anyone.

Blimey that's a blast from the past :doh: I think @chrisgreen has the copyright on those. :rofl:

If Mel @Minxy Girl ever saw it in action I doubt she would want one. :Eeek: Bob.
20190110_175047.jpg 20190110_175150.jpg Chris with his self build Malvern show 2011. (y)
Yes could have improved with a silencer. :LOL: Bob

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can stay at campsites for a long time for the cost of EHU
Don't do sites, just don't like them as prefer to be 'free' to roam and for the dogs to potter without worry ... might do the odd one though when we go for longer to scrape the muck off occasionally so as to not weigh the camper down! :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Problem was that they were designed for occasional use and had a useful life of something like 500 hours which I believe is also the problem with Efoy systems so ok for emergencies or light users.
I believe that the lpg Gasporini designs were bought up by telair but again I am told they still have a relatively short design life .
From memory at least 3000 hours on an EFOY but I have read of 7000 and more and then if required it just needs a new converter block.

Martin

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Yes, the original one was the Mark 1 version which had a serious design fault IMV and was replaced with the Mark 2 which is much better so the fridge is working as it should but obviously in winter and not moving much the solar struggles to keep up with it's demand after a couple of days along with us using lights etc even though we don't do so excessively and TV is usually just an hour max.

Its a Votronic 250 Duo MPPT one so one of the best there is as recommended by others, not one of the more basic and limited PWM ones.

Is a small one too wee for running something like a 400w Remoska then? It wouldn't stay 'on' all the time AFAIK just when it needed to maintain the temperature? Other than that it would be just to plug the camper into

Is a small one too wee for running something like a 400w Remoska then? It wouldn't stay 'on' all the time AFAIK just when it needed to maintain the temperature? Other than that it would be just to plug the camper into to charge the batteries back up. I've never had a genny so it's a bit of a learning curve for me.
Yes, the original one was the Mark 1 version which had a serious design fault IMV and was replaced with the Mark 2 which is much better so the fridge is working as it should but obviously in winter and not moving much the solar struggles to keep up with it's demand after a couple of days along with us using lights etc even though we don't do so excessively and TV is usually just an hour max.

Its a Votronic 250 Duo MPPT one so one of the best there is as recommended by others, not one of the more basic and limited PWM ones.

Is a small one too wee for running something like a 400w Remoska then? It wouldn't stay 'on' all the time AFAIK just when it needed to maintain the temperature? Other than that it would be just to plug the camper into to charge the batteries back up. I've never had a genny so it's a bit of a learning curve for me.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/using-400w-remoska-on-1500-w-inverter.103895/

Check this post, a lot of info on what wattage required by @scotjimland

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Dump the electric only fridge.
Install a modern three way 12v / gas / 230v one.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yup but the cost would be extortionate and a genny would let us use our other stuff as mentioned above.
I don't think it would for at least some of that stuff. I suspect your electric ring, grill, toaster and kettle would not be able to run on a Genny, unless you were getting a bigger one than you would be able to carry!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't think it would for at least some of that stuff. I suspect your electric ring, grill, toaster and kettle would not be able to run on a Genny, unless you were getting a bigger one than you would be able to carry!
The toaster and kettle are low power ones and as I said before the only thing that I would like to use it for other than batteries is for the Remoska which is only 400w.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its a new camper which we bought in April last year so it's a modern electric fridge ... installing a 3-way one will be very, very expensive, if it can be done at all.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Its a new camper which we bought in April last year so it's a modern electric fridge ... installing a 3-way one will be very, very expensive, if it can be done at all.
So what's the benefit of a modern electric fridge?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you go the generator route then the Honda is probably the best and fairly quiet but also expensive. Still noisy though on a quiet aire or site. Had ours running a few weeks ago when on a aire (we were on our own) and could still hear it about 30-40 yards away.
How about a small wind generator, as used on many boats?
No idea on price or efficiency but might be enough just to top up every now and again. No fuel to worry about either.

Richard.
Be careful with wind generators, some are quite quiet but they tend to be the lower output ones. Like all things the higher the output the noisier they are, I can take most petrol gennies they are pretty constant noise and my mind can filter it out but some of the wind gennies surge in gusty winds and make sleep almost impossible a hundred yards away, just think what it would be like mounted on your van

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

I have seen people try to sell these n the UK but they seem to fail every time. I woule be concerned by the unregulated output and woud suggest they need a proper alternator controller such as https://sterling-power.com/products/universal-advanced-digital-regulato-pro-reg-bw-waterproof. Also there seems to be little soundproofing so some form of enclosure may be needed

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

How much would one cost, fully fitted?

BTW, I have over 70 quid in my piggy and the missus has over 40 in hers so would that cover it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know 12v fridges have less to go wrong than 3 way fridges, but it seems a backward step if you then have to carry around a genny and fuel for it when the MH already has a perfectly usable gas system installed.
I wonder what the thinking is in Globecar.?

Money saving, cheaper to buy, cheaper to fit with no vents to fit and no gas work.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Lenny but we don't have a problem at all recharging the batteries when driving, even for short distances, as I think the Globecar has an uprated alternator and puts more 'oomph' back into them, so I don't think that a B2B will help much as they're usually fully charged when we stop anyway.

One issue we had was when we stopped for a few days and whilst it was lovely and sunny the batteries weren't getting much help from the solar which just didn't make sense ... until hubby popped his head out of the skylight and realised the framework was casting a big shadow over them for most of the day! :doh: Fortunately we were able to turn the camper round so that the skylight didn't cause an issue after this. As our panels are semi-flexible and fitted flush to the roof itself they aren't raised up as high as rigid panels would be on a framework which probably wouldn't have been shaded - it's something for others with flush fitted flexi panels to bear in mind, or for those thinking of fitting them - if there's a lot of protruding roof 'furniture' rigid panels on a framework would probably be better.

The flexi panels suffer more from reduced power in hot weather as air cannot circulate under them to cool them, its probably why they are less reliable also

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back