chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well we have had a leisurely trip to saumur, the ccp near the town was about full and motorhomes queuing outside the gate so we have now parked up on the other one.
Julie might walk into town but don't think I will be doing.
Full sunshine though so might get the chairs out.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Many years ago I had to 'sign on' and it was common to see groups of blokes of all colours gathered outside the Jobcentre waiting for a contractor's minibus to take them to a site for cash-in-hand daywork.
Brummies of a certain age will remember big groups of predominantly Irish and then Sikhs congregating outside the Mermaid? on the Stratford Rd. for that very purpose.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Make them an offer, 6k 👍
No it's gone off me now, I was going to do it up and had my offer accepted over the phone but then at night I got to thinking, I can't even do things that want doing at home never mind a broken down place in France.
But then bought my first old van and realised I could live anywhere in France without buying a lot of work.
If ihad known ianthebuilder then that might have swung it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No it's gone off me now, I was going to do it up and had my offer accepted over the phone but then at night I got to thinking, I can't even do things that want doing at home never mind a broken down place in France.
But then bought my first old van and realised I could live anywhere in France without buying a lot of work.
I went through exactly the same thoughts fifteen years ago during several glorious trips wandering around France with a 70 yr old motorbike and tent.
I looked at several properties and got to know a couple of French estate agents quite well. When I commented upon there being so many relatively inexpensive rural properties to choose from that 'just needing a bit of renovation' he laughed and said there are plenty of English rose tinted spectacle wearers keen to spend the rest of their retirement living in chaos whilst fighting the lethargic fonctionnaires at the Mairie and knackering themselves up ladders.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
English rose tinted spectacle wearers keen to spend the rest of their retirement living in chaos whilst fighting the lethargic fonctionnaires at the Mairie and knackering themselves up ladders.
Anyone know what happened to that guy with the Hymer that he'd pimped up to the nines and was looking to by a shed load of campsite trouble in rural France ?
I can't remember his forum name but was all over here at one time
Never seems to post now ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's him, I wonder what he ended up buying ?
It was a strange story but genuine I believe, but wanting all that financial uncertainty, let alone all the work instead of relaxing and enjoying his savings never made sense to me and others I think.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's him, I wonder what he ended up buying ?
It was a strange story but genuine I believe, but wanting all that financial uncertainty, let alone all the work instead of relaxing and enjoying his savings never made sense to me and others I think.
I don't think he had really thought it out. He talked big numbers of money but hadn't thought it had to be paid back.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I went through exactly the same thoughts fifteen years ago during several glorious trips wandering around France with a 70 yr old motorbike and tent.
I looked at several properties and got to know a couple of French estate agents quite well. When I commented upon there being so many relatively inexpensive rural properties to choose from that 'just needing a bit of renovation' he laughed and said there are plenty of English rose tinted spectacle wearers keen to spend the rest of their retirement living in chaos whilst fighting the lethargic fonctionnaires at the Mairie and knackering themselves up ladders.
That is spot on , you see hundreds of properties that have been started and just left to rot.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That is spot on , you see hundreds of properties that have been started and just left to rot.

Perhaps some have been left to rot because, IF I remember correctly, the law changed a few years ago and one had to take out French residency to own property in France or something like that? 🤔

I know some friends of mine bought and started to renovate a small holiday cottage in Brittany/ Normandy and gave up after a few years because, according to them, politics became too complicated?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps some have been left to rot because, IF I remember correctly, the law changed a few years ago and one had to take out French residency to own property in France or something like that? 🤔

I know some friends of mine bought and started to renovate a small holiday cottage in Brittany/ Normandy and gave up after a few years because, according to them, politics became too complicated?
Yeah I think pulling out of buying that house was one of my better decisions. (y) :giggle:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It was at least fifteen years ago but if I remember correctly the estate agent said to me something like...... If a property is inherited, say by the deceased's children, no (inheritance?) tax is due on its value unless it is lived in for ten years after inheriting, hence many are just left shuttered up and subsequently sold, in poor condition.
He also said that after completing their education, possibly away from home in a vibrant city, few youngsters can obtain appropriate work in or want to live in an old property in a sleepy town or village.
(I have noticed during around 40 years of driving through French villages at all times of the day that many seem to be deserted with absolutely no-one about, giving me the feeling that I'm the only one who isn't aware of a nuclear attack warning ;) ).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anyone know what happened to that guy with the Hymer that he'd pimped up to the nines and was looking to by a shed load of campsite trouble in rural France ?
I can't remember his forum name but was all over here at one time
Never seems to post now ?
Yes Dawsey as said .& they bought somewhere it is on the thread but didn't need that amount of work & was more glamping I think?
I have noticed during around 40 years of driving through French villages at all times of the day that many seem to be deserted with absolutely no-one about, giving me the feeling that I'm the only one who isn't aware of a nuclear attack warning ;) ).
That is exactly how I feel in most places.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Yes Dawsey as said .& they bought somewhere it is on the thread but didn't need that amount of work & was more glamping I think?

That is exactly how I feel in most places.
I thought that fell through because of the way the sellers had set up their business tax arrangements, as in slightly dodgy?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I thought that fell through because of the way the sellers had set up their business tax arrangements, as in slightly dodgy?
Yep, seems like it from his posts leading up to his latest updates in Feb...........

Well, sorry to report that all has gone south once again. Pretty dark times.

That’s the main of it.

Thankfully we haven’t. Helga is still going strong, though are considering giving up on the search, it’s exhausting. We will see how we feel post the imminent formal withdrawal of the offer. Maybe just one more month, one more full on assault at finding something in the first month of spring then that’s it.

I guess the good news for the funsters would be that if we give it a final shot, the original idea of glamping, land, and an aire de camping car would be at least partially resurrected, even if it proves to be only temporarily..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back