Gas it or gaslow or safefill (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
anyone got any ideas on the above ,got 2 calor 6kg atm going to Spain and would probably need a refillable type to be on the safe side.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
That's confusing you appear to have both a bottle top regulator and a bulkhead one but you should be able to connect just to the bulkhead regulator.
Basildog your thoughts?
Hi Lenny
It’s an old Truma 2 stage system so basically the bottle/ cylinder mounted 1st stage regulator is taking the pressure down to either 0.3 or 0.6 bar approximately 300 or 600 mbar .
Then the 2 nd stage bulkhead mounted regulator is reducing that to 30 mbar .
Very old now so really need’s replacing.
Manufacturers recommend 10 years life.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
My 2019 11kg Gasit bottle the gauge is clipped on the cut off float switch, IE when the bottle is less than half full the gauge reads empty. My previous bottle had an additional float connected to an accurate level gauge.
That’s why we no longer import the twin hole bottles as the gauge is actually about as much use as a chocolate fire guard 😂
Also no excess flow valve on the Gasit cylinders .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny
It’s an old Truma 2 stage system so basically the bottle/ cylinder mounted 1st stage regulator is taking the pressure down to either 0.3 or 0.6 bar approximately 300 or 600 mbar .
Never seen one of them before, just had another look the bottle regulator is 0.6 bar. I take it the bulkhead regulator can't handle bottle pressure.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Not sure I agree with you there. There are 2 regulators for each supply but surely if the pressure has already been reduced by the first reg the 2nd one will 'recognise' it's already at the right pressure so won't restrict it further?
That’s a specific system that is designed to operate with the 2 different regulators.
A first stage then a separate second stage regulator.
Most modern leisure industry regulators are now single unit 2 stage regulators.
Modern leisure regulators will operate on a specific pressure range , normally 0.3 bar to 16 bar (which is 300 mbar to 16,000 mbar ),
If you put say 2 x 30 mbar regulators in line you won’t get the correct pressure out as they aren’t designed to operate at low pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Never seen one of them before, just had another look the bottle regulator is 0.6 bar. I take it the bulkhead regulator can't handle bottle pressure.
It was just type of system that was used at one time .
The only first stage regulator we see now is in the external cylinder connection kit that GOK make to use a free standing bottle/ cylinder on a leisure vehicle. Which is actually the only recognised method of connection in the gas standards.

Upvote 0

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Hi Lenny
That's a pain - I was hoping I might get away with just connecting up one refillable but from what you are suggesting I will have to junk my current set up! Oh well!

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Last week I exchanged a 14 kg bottle for €17, which is less than £1/litre being charged at petrol stations near my campsite.
That's because the 12,5kg bottle price is regulated by the government and all other supplies are at market prices. So bulk tank refilling is dearer and nearly always has been.
Less than €15 I think for 13kg.
17,50€today
Just be aware that transporting in excess of 25kgs of lpg in bottles is against the law. Guardia only allow a max of 2 x 12,5kg bottles to be transported regardless of whether they are "installed"

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just be aware that transporting in excess of 25kgs of lpg in bottles is against the law. Guardia only allow a max of 2 x 12,5kg bottles to be transported regardless of whether they are "installed"
Does that mean me and everyone else with 14kg Alugas bottles are illegal in Spain?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Apparently available online here. Don't know if they could be imported.
Unfortunately that’s the single outlet / inlet valve type !
Not really suitable for fixed installations in Motorhome lockers , same as Safefill.
I am not a fan of that valve.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Minxy
It's OK I've found it.

If travelling with a campervan, caravan or any other vehicle fitted with cooking facilities, any flammable gas container must be declared when asked and will be checked at the appropriate checkpoint by Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Flammable gas containers may be transported with the following restrictions:
  • For portable containers (cylinders/bottles, etc): Maximum of 47kg per cylinder and no more than 50kg per Vehicle if more than 1 container;
  • For fixed containers (tanks): Maximum of 47kg per container and no more than 50kg per Vehicle if more than 1 container.
  • Fixed containers must be no more than 80% full. The capacity of the container will be checked by Eurotunnel staff.
i doubt if any off the staff who've checked my gas is turned of at the tunnel, have the ability to check if ive sneaked in an extra litre of gas

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
i doubt if any off the staff who've checked my gas is turned of at the tunnel, have the ability to check if ive sneaked in an extra litre of gas
I would agree but given it's a safety criteria I, personally, don't think it's appropriate to exceed the capacity regulations.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
I chose Gaslow for the quality of their hoses - s/steel braided ones rather than unsheathed Gasit ones.
I kept one 6kg Calor and fitted a 6kg Gaslow - both permanently connected. I've found one cylinder is plenty abroad where LPG refill pumps are plentiful but if caught out I can switch temporarily to the Calor, although in 9 years I've never had to do that and I only tour abroad.
View attachment 576524

View attachment 576525
Do you know gas goes off check with calor

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Check the site. You'll also find a multi version
But as I said they aren’t available , we talk directly with the manufacturers 👍
They are the same cylinders as Safefill just badged up with different suppliers names and fitted with different types of valves as required.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do you know gas goes off check with calor
I hadn't considered that but luckily I have swapped it several times when my (busy and/or disorganised) son's 6kg cylinders have run out unexpectedly as he uses one at weekends for his home BBQ all year round and another one in his caravan. It seems we've done each other a favour (y).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
If it goes off, how long does it last? I’ve got 2 x 11kgs Gaslow cylinders one of which I’ve never started on, as after each trip I’ve been topping up the one I’ve been using.

Therefore one cylinder as gas over 12 months old in it. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If it goes off, how long does it last? I’ve got 2 x 11kgs Gaslow cylinders one of which I’ve never started on, as after each trip I’ve been topping up the one I’ve been using.

Hmm, it seems not.
Couldn't find anything on the Calor site but after a quick Google............

Does Propane Go Bad – Propane Shelf Life – How Long Can You Store Propane – Does Propane Gas Go Bad – Does LPG Go Off​

LPG-propane does not go bad. LPG-propane shelf life is indefinite. LPG does not go off. Unlike gasoline and diesel fuel, LPG-propane gas does not bad or degrade with time. How long can you store propane and does LPG (bottled gas) go off or expire are both common questions. Because propane does not go bad, it is the perfect fuel for emergency generators.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

We always alternate the use of ours after topping up that way it ensures that both cylinders work too.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmm, it seems not.
After a quick Google............

Does Propane Go Bad – Propane Shelf Life – How Long Can You Store Propane – Does Propane Gas Go Bad – Does LPG Go Off​

LPG-propane does not go bad. LPG-propane shelf life is indefinite. LPG does not go off. Unlike gasoline and diesel fuel, LPG-propane gas does not bad or degrade with time. How long can you store propane and does LPG (bottled gas) go off or expire are both common questions. Because propane does not go bad, it is the perfect fuel for emergency generators.​

Same applies to butane.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No

Always alternate between the 2 cylinders as the construction / function of the fill stop valve requires a tiny bleed hole .
Unfortunately this means that over time every fill will add a tiny amount of liquid State LPG , you will eventually overfill the unused cylinder .

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Always alternate between the 2 cylinders as the construction / function of the fill stop valve requires a tiny bleed hole .
Unfortunately this means that over time every fill will add a tiny amount of liquid State LPG , you will eventually overfill the unused cylinder .

With the auto changeover, if I leave the cylinder I’ve been using all the time closed, will it just automatically open on the other cylinder if I only open that one? 🤔

Upvote 1
Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Sorry to jump on this thread but see its very much in the area i am looking at for refillable gas, Gaslow here in Spain is extortionate, 1245 euros installed, but have found a supplier who ship twin Alugas bottles for 700 euros, or twin 11kg gas bank for 391 euros - i am assuming that Alugas is much better as being the lighter bottles doesn't eat into my payload? My only issue is they supply only with rubber hoses, but surely i can get stainless hoses here in Spain for reasonable price?

Has anyone experience of using either Gasbank or Alugas?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Alugas are excellent €700 for 2 sounds far too cheap for Alugas, can I ask where from?
Be careful with the Gas Bank difficult to get the multivalve bottle see earlier posts in the thread.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back