LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have noticed a 200w folding solar for only £86.99. it's a Panana 200w available on Amazon (Sorry, can't do links)
It seems very much the same as all the others on the market but very much cheaper!
Weighing just 3.8kg, folded size 23 x 24in x 1in it would fit into my small campervan.
Has anyone out there any knowledge of this panel?
I paid double that for my 200w...and it didn't come with a controller...🇪🇦

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think you would need a controller as well but still a good price.
Many folding panels are sold to charge Power packs like Bluetti....these have a built in MPPT controller.... however mine came with a selection of charging cables...one enabled direct connection to a battery via Crocodile Clips.... I've put this to one side..🤔

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The originally linked one - NGTeco 200W - is again currently on an Amazon offer for half price. Mine has worked well, and as you can point at sun, dramatically outperforms the flat roof panel at this time of year. It is also proving weather resistant, but being a large size when folded out if wind gets behind it can blow over so some pegging can be beneficial to hold down.

They don't have an inbuilt solar controller, intended to plug direct to these portable solar power generator power bank things that would have a controller inbuilt. I use my panel connected to a Victron MPPT using the Anderson 30 type connectors (a bit of a *** to wire up as the crimps need to be perfectly round), with wire just dangled out of the rear barn doors of the PVC. It has achieved the 200W rating a number of times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The originally linked one - NGTeco 200W - is again currently on an Amazon offer for half price. Mine has worked well, and as you can point at sun, dramatically outperforms the flat roof panel at this time of year. It is also proving weather resistant, but being a large size when folded out if wind gets behind it can blow over so some pegging can be beneficial to hold down.

They don't have an inbuilt solar controller intended to plug direct to these portable solar power generator power bank things that would have a controller inbuilt. I use my panel connected to a Victron MPPT using the Anderson 30 type connectors (a bit of a *** to wire up as the crimps need to be perfectly round), with wire just dangled out of the rear barn doors of the PVC. It has achieved the 200W rating a number of times.
Kannon Fodda What size victron controller and cables did you use please?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Kannon Fodda What size victron controller and cables did you use please?
Am using a 75/15 Victron smartsolar. That is just OK for the 200W on a lithium given that float is around 13.6V which equates to 14.7Amp, and for a charge the voltage would be higher reducing the amperage.

Wire between panel and controller - 5m extension - was 12awg (4mm2). A bit thin for this overall length as an extension lead to the panel, so I don't use unless I need to get the panel around the far side of the van, mostly relying on the 3m lead pre-wired. But the panel pre-wiring is only 14 awg (2.5mm2) which reduces to 16awg at the splitter, so I figured my extension lead wasn't going to be the limiting factor. Controller to battery is short, 1.5m so the 12awg again sufficed. If the high resistance overall is reducing the input charge slightly so be it after all the 200W panel is a bonus addition for those more challenging off grid periods.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Am using a 75/15 Victron smartsolar. That is just OK for the 200W on a lithium given that float is around 13.6V which equates to 14.7Amp, and for a charge the voltage would be higher reducing the amperage.

Wire between panel and controller - 5m extension - was 12awg (4mm2). A bit thin for this overall length as an extension lead to the panel, so I don't use unless I need to get the panel around the far side of the van, mostly relying on the 3m lead pre-wired. But the panel pre-wiring is only 14 awg (2.5mm2) which reduces to 16awg at the splitter, so I figured my extension lead wasn't going to be the limiting factor. Controller to battery is short, 1.5m so the 12awg again sufficed. If the high resistance overall is reducing the input charge slightly so be it after all the 200W panel is a bonus addition for those more challenging off grid periods.
Thanks could you remove the lead that comes with it and replace do you think?

I've ordered one as a good price.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thanks could you remove the lead that comes with it and replace do you think?

I've ordered one as a good price.
Possibly. The connection into the solar panel itself is on a moulded box that also has the inbuilt USB outlets and is within a zipped pocket. I suspect within all that it will be soldered stuff. For the couple of Ah I might be losing through the higher resistance there was a point at which any further investigation was outweighed by a strong sense of CBA ;)

If I were to be bothered then I would have been using at least 6mm2 (10awg) cables to allow less resistance overall for an extended wire length.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Possibly. The connection into the solar panel itself is on a moulded box that also has the inbuilt USB outlets and is within a zipped pocket. I suspect within all that it will be soldered stuff. For the couple of Ah I might be losing through the higher resistance there was a point at which any further investigation was outweighed by a strong sense of CBA ;)

If I were to be bothered then I would have been using at least 6mm2 (10awg) cables to allow less resistance overall for an extended wire length.
CBA?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My 300w Dokio portable panel* came with all manner of leads... and a cheapo 20a PWM** plugin controller for attaching to battery.
Research has lead me to discover it's possible to buy a budget mppt controller for £60 odd with panel connectors.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CP6PF5V3/?tag=mhf04-21
If haven't bought it yet because I haven't even tried the packaged controller.
Will that performance be adequate? I know MPPT is 'better' but how much better ie VFM?

*Primarily bought to top up my Anker 757 Powerbank
** Assuming PWM as there's no labelling to indicate

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
My 300w Dokio portable panel* came with all manner of leads... and a cheapo 20a PWM** plugin controller for attaching to battery.
Research has lead me to discover it's possible to buy a budget mppt controller for £60 odd with panel connectors.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CP6PF5V3/?tag=mhf04-21
If haven't bought it yet because I haven't even tried the packaged controller.
Will that performance be adequate? I know MPPT is 'better' but how much better ie VFM?

*Primarily bought to top up my Anker 757 Powerbank
** Assuming PWM as there's no labelling to indicate
I'd get a victron from off grid power you get 10% discount.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Many folding panels are sold to charge Power packs like Bluetti....these have a built in MPPT controller.... however mine came with a selection of charging cables...one enabled direct connection to a battery via Crocodile Clips.... I've put this to one side..🤔
Both my folding panels have built in controllers and the one that can ONLY charge non lithium batteries has a pair of crocodile clips which I've used to charge my batteries on my X250 Fiat via the under bonnet slave contacts with a number of times, why have you put the crocodile clips to one side? 🤔

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Both my folding panels have built in controllers and the one that can ONLY charge non lithium batteries has a pair of crocodile clips which I've used to charge my batteries on my X250 Fiat via the under bonnet slave contacts with a number of times, why have you put the crocodile clips to one side? 🤔
My panel didn't have a built in controller fitted...so I didn't want to connect the panel direct to any battery...

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
...than what I already have?

Simply put - it's not worth investing a wallet full of cash to get a better label for something that is used so infrequently.
An Audi is a better label than a Skoda
But you use solar everyday?

Jul 3, 2023
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Hadn't noticed till now the Dokio one comes with what appears to be two folding, freestanding stands,
I am tempted to buy this Dokio 200w folding panel because of the separate metal kickstands although it twice the price of the Panana panel I originally had my eyes on.
I have seen folk having difficulty setting up the panels with the flimsy canvas stands on the back, especially in a slight wind & I believe these metal stands would be far more stable.
Your thoughts on this?...Please!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I am tempted to buy this Dokio 200w folding panel because of the separate metal kickstands although it twice the price of the Panana panel I originally had my eyes on.
I have seen folk having difficulty setting up the panels with the flimsy canvas stands on the back, especially in a slight wind & I believe these metal stands would be far more stable.
I've ordered the one Kannon Fodda has

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My 100w Dokia is good, legs are adequate, they have wing nuts to lock them in position but the weight of the panel stops them moving

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Just bought a100w NG Teco from ebay.
Made them a £50 IMG_0855.png
IMG_0855.png
IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_0846.jpeg
IMG_0845.jpeg
‘offer’ which was accepted so pretty happy to get for £60 total, in case anyone interested in similar deal. Works on windscreen or can be squeezed out of skylight to add more roof PV as well.
Feels good quality, like the magnets that keep it clipped together when closed and it has eyelets so that it can be attached with sucker cups etc. would prefer mc4 connector, but will make do with an adaptor.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
That's good value for a 100watt portable panel. I bought the 200w NG set which is double the size of yours but in retrospect 2 panels at 100w each would have been more versatile and easier to handle and a little cheaper
Mine was around £140. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Made them a £50View attachment 946806View attachment 946806View attachment 946804View attachment 946803View attachment 946802 ‘offer’ which was accepted so pretty happy to get for £60 total, in case anyone interested in similar deal. Works on windscreen or can be squeezed out of skylight to add more roof PV as well.
Feels good quality, like the magnets that keep it clipped together when closed and it has eyelets so that it can be attached with sucker cups etc. would prefer mc4 connector, but will make do with an adaptor.
Hi, did this panel come with any form of regulator to be able to connect straight to leisure battery

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Made them a £50View attachment 946806View attachment 946806View attachment 946804View attachment 946803View attachment 946802 ‘offer’ which was accepted so pretty happy to get for £60 total, in case anyone interested in similar deal. Works on windscreen or can be squeezed out of skylight to add more roof PV as well.

Hi, did this panel come with any form of regulator to be able to connect straight to leisure battery
No - USB outputs from box on back, but otherwise just cables.

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
That's good value for a 100watt portable panel. I bought the 200w NG set which is double the size of yours but in retrospect 2 panels at 100w each would have been more versatile and easier to handle and a little cheaper
Mine was around £140. (y)
60p per W seemed good value, and cheap enough to risk. How is the 200w holding up?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
60p per W seemed good value, and cheap enough to risk. How is the 200w holding up?
It's been OK. No issues. Kept 2 back up lithiums fully charged. I made up a lead with xt60 connections to mate up to the panel connections.
It's too big for putting over the front window but we added tapes with kador strips so we can put it on the awning rail.but just had it on the ground to date. We tether it to a dog cable/ wire pad locked to the van as an anti theft deterent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back