Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just ordered this with a 50% promo discount off Amazon so paid £124.50
NGTeco Solar Panel, ETFE Material, 24% High Conversion Rate Small Folding Solar Charger (200W 20V 5A),DC Output USB AC Port,IP65 Waterproof Disaster Prevention Supplies https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CJBZ4GLJ/?tag=mhf04-21
Hope it’s going to work

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
NGTeco Solar Panel, ETFE Material, 24% High Conversion Rate Small Folding Solar Charger (200W 20V 5A),DC Output USB AC Port,IP65 Waterproof Disaster Prevention Supplies https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CJBZ4GLJ/?tag=mhf04-21
Hope it’s going to work
Only USB connection....have you get a way to connect to a Solar Controller or are you using the Panel in a different way? I'm interested and always willing to learn🤔😃

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Are you using it to charge your power pack Otter Spotter

no reviews but they have to start somewhere, let us know how it goes (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hope it’s going to work

I have bought the same as this although under a different brand name.
If you want to use it to charge your hab battery then you will need to hook it up to a solar charge controller which you will then hook up to your hab battery.

I specifically went for this type of folding solar panel because the ones with a built in solar charge controllers usually have naf solar charge controller and I wanted to use a Victron MPPT on mine.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have bought the same as this although under a different brand name.
If you want to use it to charge your hab battery then you will need to hook it up to a solar charge controller which you will then hook up to your hab battery.

I specifically went for this type of folding solar panel because the ones with a built in solar charge controllers usually have naf solar charge controller and I wanted to use a Victron MPPT on mine.
What lead have you used to hook up to Solar controller ?
Are you using it to charge your power pack Otter Spotter

no reviews but they have to start somewhere, let us know how it goes (y)
No, I haven’t got a power bank I was hoping to have a temp connection to my Victron solar controller in the van

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Numbers look feasible v size.Good price obviously cheap china no name but unless u want to use it for long periods (months) should last long enough to get value for money !
This type (cheap china)seems to have the case material decompose with long term exposure to UV.
Hope it satisfies your needs

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My folder is connected to my Lithium to increase the available rays...it's lead has an Anderson connector which connects to its own Victron MPPT which in turn is live to my battery...works well when popped on the windscreen...

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What lead have you used to hook up to Solar controller ?

If it is the same as you have ordered, then the connector on the side of the panel is an XT30.
I made up a 10 metre cable to my folding panel Victron 75/10 MPPT so I can position the panel at any point around our van to aim at the sun.
I'm not sure that is okay to piggy back onto your existing Victron solar controller in the van if that's what you intend to do, but if you intend to run your roof and folding panels in parallel I don't see a problem unless someone has a definitive answer as to whether you can or can't.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Much better to have a separate mppt controller,unless all panels match.
I bought a Bluetooth (genuine )mppt controller from AliExpress £35 ISH for my new folding rigid panels(220w),tested a few days ago 5*

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
IMG_1162.jpeg
IMG_1163.jpeg
It’s arrived and it has a ‘voltage stabilisation box from which the cables come from, plus there is a USB socket in the side of the box. My question is do I need a Solar controller with this variety of leads?

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
What are the unfolded dimensions of 200W? can't quite work it out from Amazon

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Hmmmm??? I'd like it if the wires came directly out of panel so my mppt controller could harvest energy

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I would assume the voltage stabiliser will be of a low efficiency as well as being the wrong voltage (think I read 20v) you could drop the voltage to charge your battery,but that would just add another level of inefficiency.
I would go for a solar controller and throw the voltage regulator .
Unless you have something that you can charge from 20v ? A basic controller can be bought for around £10/£15 but will not give the useable output of mppt £30/£40

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
In all honesty if you have no idea what any of the numbers mean,you are going to struggle to remove the to you useless voltage controller and replace it with a controller to charge your battery,and by the time you have bought a controller you will not have saved much and voided the warranty, sorry my advice send it back .
Look for something more suited to your needs,maybe post before you order to get advice.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
View attachment 880503View attachment 880504It’s arrived and it has a ‘voltage stabilisation box from which the cables come from, plus there is a USB socket in the side of the box. My question is do I need a Solar controller with this variety of leads?

Dave, I have order one which is arriving tomorrow.
When I have had a look at it I will come back to you with what it will and will not do, during the meantime ignore the comments of those that appear to not have a clue of what their looking at.

Nov 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Campervan
Can this type of portable solar panel be connected, temporarily, directly to the hab battery using crocodile clips ?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Can this type of portable solar panel be connected, temporarily, directly to the hab battery using crocodile clips ?

Last year, I bought a 200w?portable solar panel, it came with a controller on the back and could be connected directly to my under bonnet starter battery connections using the crocodile clips it came with.
I states clearly on the panel that it is unsuitable for Lithium but, as I have none, it's not a problem.

I went to my local electrical store and they supplied me with suitable solar wire and waterproof connectors so I could connect the panel directly to my hab batteries and, to this end, I made up some of the cable and connected this to the hab battery terminals at one end and a waterproof plug at the other.
I can now, either plug in directly to the starter battery OR the hab batteries.

I know little of electrical stuff, except basic, but it seems to be working for me?

PS. People keep mentioning that their portable solar panels work behind their windscreens, is that really possible with modern windscreens? 🤔

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Dave, I have order one which is arriving tomorrow.
When I have had a look at it I will come back to you with what it will and will not do, during the meantime ignore the comments of those that appear to not have a clue of what their looking at.
Thanks for your help but you didn’t have to buy one just for me 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Nov 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Campervan
Thanks 'Robot' & L'Hobo for your comments and experiences.
I have usually managed (without EHU) and just a modest habitation battery whilst off grid.
Sometimes I've just run the motor for a while to boost the battery. However having a portable solar panel
to do the top up may be the alternative way to go.
Thanks again guys .

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
In all honesty if you have no idea what any of the numbers mean,you are going to struggle to remove the to you useless voltage controller and replace it with a controller to charge your battery,and by the time you have bought a controller you will not have saved much and voided the warranty, sorry my advice send it back .
Look for something more suited to your needs,maybe post before you order to get advice.
Honestly, I got it at half price and I know that there are Funsters who are far more experienced than me who will put me straight so I will keep it. It was bought as a back up to the 160Ah flexible roof panel and I do have a 300AH panel to go on the roof when The existing one dies.
Redundancy is the best policy 😉😉😉

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
In most ways better than roof panels.Drawbacks are You have to deploy and connect them every time you move,to get max power move around during the day and as you said theft. Make a great addition to roof when poor weather and if have a battery charge controller built in ,cheap,easy to attach to battery and can be used to maintain starter battery during storeage

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Honestly, I got it at half price and I know that there are Funsters who are far more experienced than me who will put me straight so I will keep it. It was bought as a back up to the 160Ah flexible roof panel and I do have a 300AH panel to go on the roof when The existing one dies.
Redundancy is the best policy 😉😉😉
With the right help you may be able to use the existing controller with simple mods,My comments were based on your knowledge /abilities.And the similar cost of a ready to use unit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back