Explain this!! Electrical drain overnight! (16 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Here is a wild theory for those who really understand these things to pull apart.

EHU plugged in and runs out of credit - Multiplus switches to inverter mode - Inverter provides different AC using out of phase 115V down positive and negative wires - EHU still plugged into bollard where negative wire is earth bonded - Inverter sending 115V to earth - 12V battery powering drain to earth.

Answer, unplug the EHU as soon as credit runs out?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Here is a wild theory for those who really understand these things to pull apart.

EHU plugged in and runs out of credit - Multiplus switches to inverter mode - Inverter provides different AC using out of phase 115V down positive and negative wires - EHU still plugged into bollard where negative wire is earth bonded - Inverter sending 115V to earth - 12V battery powering drain to earth.

Answer, unplug the EHU as soon as credit runs out.
I don't understand it but like the idea all the same ;)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I know you & electrics are you sure🤣

Go through all the timer settings.
It off at the off switch! That said I’ve just turned it on and when it was last used it was whilst on hook up and was set at 2kwh but surely if it’s turned off and the screen is black, it’s off altogether 🤷‍♂️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Answer, unplug the EHU as soon as credit runs out?
I can't see that happening but he is in Germany like all European countries outside the UK they use double pole switching so both neg & live would be disconnected when the bollard turns off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It off at the off switch! That said I’ve just turned it on and when it was last used it was whilst on hook up and was set at 2kwh but surely if it’s turned off and the screen is black, it’s off altogether 🤷‍♂️
I think it's a electronic switching on the Alde so you could have an intermittent fault.
This is assuming you can power the Alde from the inverter, I wired my van so heating can only be power by incoming mains not the inverter.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Can you run the heating from the multiplus? I had my heating on a separate circuit to the multiplus so that mistake couldn't be made
I’m assuming that when ehu is plugged in it works from the mains! Would it run through the Multiplus when on ehu?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
So I rolled up to an aire yesterday, 56% on the batteries (600ah lithium) I was next to the leccy bollard which had €1.99 credit on it so I plugged it in and began charging up to around 80%. The weather was atrocious so I put another €2.00 to bring it up to around 100% and that was around 8.00pm. We went out for dinner and the balance was €0.00 BUT left the plug in, came back and watched two hours worth of tv (12v) and went to bed, still with ehu lead plugged in! Woke up this morning NOTHING that’s 240v plugged in, only usual phone charging and 12v FF in garage, alde OFF, fridge on gas and my batteries was 26% so it’s used around 65-70% overnight!!
Can anyone explain this??? Lenny HB RogerIvy anyone??
😱😱😱, that is not ok, also why was you’re charge so low when you arrived at the Aire, shouldn’t your BtoB charger have charged your batteries to a much higher level whilst driving or did you only drive for a very short time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’m assuming that when ehu is plugged in it works from the mains! Would it run through the Multiplus when on ehu?
All incoming mains goes via the Multiplus, the Multiplus will run in bypass mode until the max current from the bollard is reached (depending on your Multiplus settings) . When you exceed that current the inverter turns on and makes up the difference.

If you were on a 6 amp hookup running a 2kw load the inverter would need to supply approx 35 amps at 12v.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
😱😱😱, that is not ok, also why was you’re charge so low when you arrived at the Aire, shouldn’t your BtoB charger have charged your batteries to a much higher level whilst driving or did you only drive for a very short time?
Only a 50 amp B2B with 600ah of batteries.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
If you wire all the 230v side through the multiplus you can control the threshold to when assist turns on better than when you have say the fridge and heating separately as the multiplus doesn't know how much power these are using so could still trip the ehu.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Can you run the heating from the multiplus? I had my heating on a separate circuit to the multiplus so that mistake couldn't be made

How about.. Pay a euro and plug in to ehu. When the time is up check the settings and see if inverter has switched on. Check everything while still plugged in to see if theres a draw.

I think it's a electronic switching on the Alde so you could have an intermittent fault.
This is assuming you can power the Alde from the inverter, I wired my van so heating can only be power by incoming mains not the inverter.
Right these three might have the answer.

Sooooo I’ve just run a check with my settings on the alde!
Things I don’t know.
1, Soc at bedtime
2, was I running alde on multiplus whilst the credit had run out before I turned it off?
Things I do know.
Nothing 240v plugged in at bedtime
Alde off altogether at bedtime
Fridge on gas.

So with the settings I had on alde and I’ve just replicated it whilst on ehu, the multiplus is doing its job perfectly in that it’s topping up the electric with what’s coming in from the bollard, so even with hook up there’s a deficit, so if the ehu had run out of credit the deficit and would have been far greater a draw through the multiplus hence depleting the batteries!
Oh and when I turned off the alde, it was OFF with no current being drawn👍
I think RogerIvy makes a good call doing a check on Soc and relevant things plugged in before going to bed👍
Well IF this has been the case it’s a lesson learned👍
All charging up now, up to 53%

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Haven’t hooked up since some free electric at Carthago last Thursday and have only been driving for an hour and half tops each day (not every day) solars not been too great so it’s where I expected it to be👍

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All incoming mains goes via the Multiplus, the Multiplus will run in bypass mode until the max current from the bollard is reached (depending on your Multiplus settings) . When you exceed that current the inverter turns on and makes up the difference.

If you were on a 6 amp hookup running a 2kw load the inverter would need to supply approx 35 amps at 12v.
Nail on head👍👍

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Right these three might have the answer.

Sooooo I’ve just run a check with my settings on the alde!
Things I don’t know.
1, Soc at bedtime
2, was I running alde on multiplus whilst the credit had run out before I turned it off?
Things I do know.
Nothing 240v plugged in at bedtime
Alde off altogether at bedtime
Fridge on gas.

So with the settings I had on alde and I’ve just replicated it whilst on ehu, the multiplus is doing its job perfectly in that it’s topping up the electric with what’s coming in from the bollard, so even with hook up there’s a deficit, so if the ehu had run out of credit the deficit and would have been far greater a draw through the multiplus hence depleting the batteries!
Oh and when I turned off the alde, it was OFF with no current being drawn👍
I think RogerIvy makes a good call doing a check on Soc and relevant things plugged in before going to bed👍
Well IF this has been the case it’s a lesson learned👍
You need more batteries😇😆😆😆😆

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

53, that’s my no Ade

Thinking about what’s happened to you last night, it’s a Cathargo thing

It wouldn’t never happen to a Rapido 🤣🤣🤣

Hopefully 🤞🤞🤞

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The Alde is about the only thing in your van that would take that amount of current. Even the fridge running from the inverter wouldn't use that much.

Have you got the timer set on the Alde for hot water or heating & you have cocked up the settings?

At least you have the Multiplus and can get a decent charge back into the batteries quick. (my reason for fitting one MichaelT)
Yeah but you wouldn't be on EHU would you and if you were you wouldn't be so stupid to run your heating off batteries all night would you?😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back