Email from Popit regarding roaming (18 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
My Popit was a ‘normal’ SIM and used it in the Mifi, no issues. I used ID in my phone and it was been great so I will be getting another SIM for the Mifi and when my husband’s contract finishes with Vodafone, he is swapping as well. My Mifi is T P link.
What network does ID use?

It might be worth considering your husband using a different network to yourself.

I'm on Lebara (Vodafone) and Mrs CAB is on O2, occasionally one of us has had no signal but the other one did.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
What network does ID use?

It might be worth considering your husband using a different network to yourself.

I'm on Lebara (Vodafone) and Mrs CAB is on O2, occasionally one of us has had no signal but the other one did.

ID use the 3 network

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I've no idea why people get so worked up about this. I need data all them time, and yes It's a pain in the bum, but...E-sims get me there, then value for money local SIMs are perfect for when Starlink isn't up. (y). No different for any third country, American, Australian etc
Well if you don't use a UK based SIM then you have reral trouble accessing UK based TV networks, specifcally iPlayer, NowTV and Discovery Plus (TNT Sports) - the latter two I use for watching football. I have tried several different and reputable VPNs to do this in the past but they've all failed eventually because somehow the TV networks get to realise you're not in the UK even though you're using a UK based VPN server. Also as I inderstand it VPNs use up some of the bandwidth for encryption so if the phone signal isn't very strong the picture quality is poorer.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If it’s for watching TV and you have a sat dish this looks interesting, never heard of it until stewartwebr posted the following.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well if you don't use a UK based SIM then you have reral trouble accessing UK based TV networks,

Ah I see why you want a UK SIM then. We don't watch much TV if any when we're away, so it's not a problem for us. Any important rugby games we prefer to watch in the pub.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I've no idea why people get so worked up about this. I need data all them time, and yes It's a pain in the bum, but...E-sims get me there, then value for money local SIMs are perfect for when Starlink isn't up. (y). No different for any third country, American, Australian etc
People get worked up because of the false promises of mobile operators regarding EU 🇪🇺 roaming restrictions/charges :censored:

And, in these cases (IQ Go/Popit), change/restrictions had not been communicated, or were only advised at last minute. :mad:

I also like to have reliable data on the move but do have a limited budget so seek out value-for-money options.💰

E-Sims can be a great choice but you need a relatively recent device to support them (and not sure what Mifi would be needed).

A local SIM also requires a (notoriously unreliable) VPN to watch UK TV/streaming services. 📺

And, even without their recent price rises/restrictions (which also caused consternation among UK clients), Starlink would be expensive overkill for many of us (especially if you feel you also need a SIM-based backup!) 🛰️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back