Email from Popit regarding roaming (13 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
My Popit was a ‘normal’ SIM and used it in the Mifi, no issues. I used ID in my phone and it was been great so I will be getting another SIM for the Mifi and when my husband’s contract finishes with Vodafone, he is swapping as well. My Mifi is T P link.
What network does ID use?

It might be worth considering your husband using a different network to yourself.

I'm on Lebara (Vodafone) and Mrs CAB is on O2, occasionally one of us has had no signal but the other one did.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
What network does ID use?

It might be worth considering your husband using a different network to yourself.

I'm on Lebara (Vodafone) and Mrs CAB is on O2, occasionally one of us has had no signal but the other one did.

ID use the 3 network

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I've no idea why people get so worked up about this. I need data all them time, and yes It's a pain in the bum, but...E-sims get me there, then value for money local SIMs are perfect for when Starlink isn't up. (y). No different for any third country, American, Australian etc
Well if you don't use a UK based SIM then you have reral trouble accessing UK based TV networks, specifcally iPlayer, NowTV and Discovery Plus (TNT Sports) - the latter two I use for watching football. I have tried several different and reputable VPNs to do this in the past but they've all failed eventually because somehow the TV networks get to realise you're not in the UK even though you're using a UK based VPN server. Also as I inderstand it VPNs use up some of the bandwidth for encryption so if the phone signal isn't very strong the picture quality is poorer.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If it’s for watching TV and you have a sat dish this looks interesting, never heard of it until stewartwebr posted the following.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well if you don't use a UK based SIM then you have reral trouble accessing UK based TV networks,

Ah I see why you want a UK SIM then. We don't watch much TV if any when we're away, so it's not a problem for us. Any important rugby games we prefer to watch in the pub.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I've no idea why people get so worked up about this. I need data all them time, and yes It's a pain in the bum, but...E-sims get me there, then value for money local SIMs are perfect for when Starlink isn't up. (y). No different for any third country, American, Australian etc
People get worked up because of the false promises of mobile operators regarding EU 🇪🇺 roaming restrictions/charges :censored:

And, in these cases (IQ Go/Popit), change/restrictions had not been communicated, or were only advised at last minute. :mad:

I also like to have reliable data on the move but do have a limited budget so seek out value-for-money options.💰

E-Sims can be a great choice but you need a relatively recent device to support them (and not sure what Mifi would be needed).

A local SIM also requires a (notoriously unreliable) VPN to watch UK TV/streaming services. 📺

And, even without their recent price rises/restrictions (which also caused consternation among UK clients), Starlink would be expensive overkill for many of us (especially if you feel you also need a SIM-based backup!) 🛰️

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We have two 100gb sims with Popit . They have been great for streaming TV and all the other internet when roaming.
At £50 per month to get 50gb roaming will have to investigate other alternatives.
Don’t see how Popit can survive with the amount of people talking of leaving.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Popit launched with the tag line ‘Roam like you’re at Home’! We switched (two years ago) so we could use our mobiles (we aren’t streaming data) whilst long term travelling with some data.

Giving only one weeks notice to those that are currently ‘roaming like they are at home’ is really very very poor form! 😤

Will have to get lined up to swap out to new providers when we are home in December.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Cancelled my popit 100gb sim yesterday.
For those that that haven’t received an email from popit, check junk mail, look for
Sim Only Ltd.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodby to popit although it used to work well for us.
The search begins again.
Me too. I have the 100Gb Popit sim in our FTE MU5002 router which is being reduced to 25GB EU roaming but no reduction in subscription. However, it does have the £1 pause feature which is useful.

But the 25GBper month isn't going to be enough for our use.

Had a look at the latest Tiekom sim with EU (including UK) roaming. They only do the 400Gb sim which gives 200 GB roaming for 43.90 Euro per month. you can also pause it but it costs 15 Euros to ship and 3.63 euros per month to pause. Not too expensive and from my previous experience of Tiekom (speak to Camino) they have good customer support. Have to set up an account including passport photo.

Might go for this unless I can find a cheaper 100GB for France and Spain.
Any suggestions❓

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I'm with popit and to the best of my knowledge I have not had this email
Sorry, there are no exceptions. Check your junk/spam folder.

Also this is their revised sim plan page - note the 25GB EU roam limit.

I've just had a helpful reply from Popit Customer Services who tell me that they are doing their best to get another EU roaming supplier that might offer more data for roaming than 25gb.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
It has everything to do with Brexit.

UK is now a third country.
Hence we are no longer part of the EU roaming agreement.
Which means the carriers can change whatever they like, for whatever level of service they like, or even withdraw from the market if they like.

Bottom line is the Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Irish etc motorhomes parked next to you, on the EU campsite, all pay one rate right across the EU for their mobile access.

You pay a special premium '3rd country' rate which is twice as much for half the service with limitations on bandwidth and data usage.
At least you can commiserate with other Third Country citizens such as the Albanians, Moroccans and Serbians.

However it's not all good news, as the EU users get stung for mobile access when they are in the UK, so it's their turn to pay double the amount for half the service.
Nope. It is a failure of our government to enact legislation to continue the roaming arrangement when we are in EU territories.

This was in the news at least a couple of years ago, so not new.

Nothing to do with Brexit.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Nope. It is a failure of our government to enact legislation to continue the roaming arrangement when we are in EU territories.

Of course it's Brexit otherwise we would have the same rights as before.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life

I an NOT a fan of Brexit - it was a very silly idea and I find it difficult to see any tangible benefits.

However the roaming situation is not caused by Brexit, roaming within the EU member states is also limited by “fair use” policies as outlined by EU legislation see here for the exact details:

It clearly states that a “fair use” policy is perfectly acceptable to limit roaming use to “periodic travel” in other member states. Further it states “its rules are not meant to enable permanent roaming across the Union”.

But there may be more commercial incentive for EU companies to offer a better deal on roaming as I imagine there will be more demand for it.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just been in France / Spain for 4 weeks , used 100gb , cost me £25 as a bolt on with EE , rather not pay it but as it’s a UK sim I’ve watched all my Sky Sports and Apple TV . It’s not ideal but relatively cheap .
If only I knew a Lord of the Realm to pay it for me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just been in France / Spain for 4 weeks , used 100gb , cost me £25 as a bolt on with EE , rather not pay it but as it’s a UK sim I’ve watched all my Sky Sports and Apple TV . It’s not ideal but relatively cheap .
Try Sir Kier..BUSBY.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
………..I’ve watched all my Sky Sports and Apple TV . It’s not ideal but relatively cheap .

Try Sir Kier..BUSBY.

I believe Lord Kodi would be the one to turn to - allegedly!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back