Elon Musk has his sights set on a major world RV rollout as early as next year!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi all, especially Gromett
It looks like Elon Musk is well on the way to launch an all electric RV with new battery pack giving a 600 mile range, rechargeable to 80% in 10/15 minutes!
He has done his homework on the existing MH/RV market in the states and Europe and intends to break the mould on cost and performance with more bells & whistles than we could have dreamt of.
Have a look at this Tesla Video linked below , warning its very long, very repetitive, but thats always the way with US videos it would seem its the only way to drive the message home, repeat, then repeat again.
Interesting overall, if anyone can do it, he will, but I do take roll out date, and costs with a large pinch of salt.
Your comments are welcome, is this the future coming sooner than we thought, will you be ordering one? Will existing RV?MH manufacturers be concerned as they should be?
LES

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
If the prices hinted at are to be believed, with the range it will be a bargain.
I can't that can being correct, to get a 600 mile range it would need something like a 250kwh battery, to 80% charge that in 10-15 minutes would need chargers capable of about 800kwh! Not many of those around, and certainly not on sites.
It will come though and the huge low end torque of an electoral would be perfect for slogging up hills.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all, especially Gromett
It looks like Elon Musk is well on the way to launch an all electric RV with new battery pack giving a 600 mile range, rechargeable to 80% in 10/15 minutes!
He has done his homework on the existing MH/RV market in the states and Europe and intends to break the mould on cost and performance with more bells & whistles than we could have dreamt of.
Have a look at this Tesla Video linked below , warning its very long, very repetitive, but thats always the way with US videos it would seem its the only way to drive the message home, repeat, then repeat again.
Interesting overall, if anyone can do it, he will, but I do take roll out date, and costs with a large pinch of salt.
Your comments are welcome, is this the future coming sooner than we thought, will you be ordering one? Will existing RV?MH manufacturers be concerned as they should be?
LES

If you believe this you believe anything, the first stop would be to build delivery vans 🚚 which could then be converted. Other than VW which other manufacturer builds MoHo’s

There is no way I would buy a single product owned by a Musk company his ethics are nothing to be admired.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course that MoHo will be fully automated and self driving and comes with a robot to make the bed tuck you in and cook your food

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
In the top right hand of the photo, part of the stage structure seems to be attached to the van ! I'm going with fake news, or a witch hunt?
Mike.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Happily this won’t need charging🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It could be partly possible they recon to have semi solid state batteries in cars by the end of next year with a 600 mile range

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It could be partly possible they recon to have semi solid state batteries in cars by the end of next year with a 600 mile range
Semi solid state still means there's a liquid electrolyte. It appears to only provide mild gains over other types of lithium ion batteries. And it's more expensive.

Personally I think a motorhome that had a real world range of 250 miles would be livable. I'm not generally in a hurry, so stopping for half an hour after 4 hours of driving would be fine with me. The issue is that at the moment, that's about 150kWh of battery, which would be very expensive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We may or may not have the infrastructure for charging electric cars, if suddenly vans and even motorhomes go electric can the established infrastructure cope with the additional size or do we need to start again :unsure:

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Musk?

I would rather stick rusty needles infected with gonorrhoea into my eyeballs than view any output involving that sick,

He's a weirdo, but I do have a grudging admiration of entrepreneurs like him, who risk absolutely everything on projects that others say can't be done and then do it. I worked for quite a few people like Musk, every one of them had narcissistic personality, I think I only 'liked' one of them. But in business at least, I was in awe of all of them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Semi solid state still means there's a liquid electrolyte. It appears to only provide mild gains over other types of lithium ion batteries. And it's more expensive.

Personally I think a motorhome that had a real world range of 250 miles would be livable. I'm not generally in a hurry, so stopping for half an hour after 4 hours of driving would be fine with me. The issue is that at the moment, that's about 150kWh of battery, which would be very expensive.
💡 "Pop up " diesel powered generator electric charging stations ?:ROFLMAO:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Making money doesn't impress me...

JJ :cool:
But you need people who will take risks, push boundaries, try new ideas. Some will fail, maybe most, but the successes will shape the world.
It’s the same in any field - music, literature, art …

I don’t like the man, he repulses me, but I think what he is doing with technology will shape the world.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Dear Elon

I have bought one of your nice Motorhomes, I'm currently on a typical French campsite which is filled with many other electric motorhomes and caravans being pulled by Teslas

How long will it take to recharge my motorhome on the 6 amp bollard ?

Yours Faithfully
Brains

PS
I only have my two pin black domestic extension reel.
Do you suggest it should all be unwound?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Dear Elon

I have bought one of your nice Motorhomes, I'm currently on a typical French campsite which is filled with many other electric motorhomes and caravans being pulled by Teslas

Yours Faithfully
Brains

PS
France passed laws that it has to cover all their car parks with solar. It's got tons of nuclear power. It should be well set up for adding destination chargers for slow charging.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Dear Elon

Yours Faithfully
Brains

PS
Should have stopped at the last Tesla charger your motorhome would have told you when you put the route in and booked a slot. You could have charged at 300 KW that's why you don't need a leisure battery solar gas or the bollard.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Simple tip: To save precious moments of your life; whenever a video has "Blow Your Mind" in the title. Don't click on it.
Yup, And these as well;
"You'll never guess what happened next"
"Destroyed"
"Shocking"
"only a true fan/expert can pass this test"
"their reaction was priceless"

Of course I guessed what happened next and it took you a 10 minute video to get to the point,
Nothing was destroyed. The person was corrected on a minor point.
Shocking? Not really, mildly interesting but you could have done it in a video that lasted 5 seconds.
Nope, that test was easy to make me feel good about myself. Failed.
Nope, Their reaction to a mundane event was entirely predictable.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
France passed laws that it has to cover all their car parks with solar. It's got tons of nuclear power. It should be well set up for adding destination chargers for slow charging.
OK, I'll rewrite my letter and change it to a C&MHC greenfield CL site in Wales.

My point is:
I have yet to see my first EV charging point on a UK campsite (Seen a couple in Germany).
It would appear most UK campsites are not yet ready for the day when the majority of vehicles arriving are EV's and expect to be able to trickle charge overnight.

I'm only aware of one UK site where electricity is metered (Shingle Hall Farm near Rye) although no doubt there will be others.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If I owned a campsite I'd be arranging rewiring with metered bollards suitable for EV's to be installed within the next 18 months.

The one major problem in the UK is as a 'landlord' (Campsite owner, Car park owner, etc) you are not permitted to 'sell' electricity at above the rate you pay for it.
Which means there is very little incentive to spend money on the infrastructure to recharge EV's as there is no direct way to get back the improvement costs (beyond additional visits as you have the facility)

One paragraph in the next Budget could change this at the stroke of a pen, however it would need to have an upper limit (say10% above the current rate paid by the meter owner), because you can bet that every single owner of an HMO, student accommodation, hostel, Air BnB, etc. would immediately add the 10% to every tenant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back