Elon Musk has his sights set on a major world RV rollout as early as next year!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi all, especially Gromett
It looks like Elon Musk is well on the way to launch an all electric RV with new battery pack giving a 600 mile range, rechargeable to 80% in 10/15 minutes!
He has done his homework on the existing MH/RV market in the states and Europe and intends to break the mould on cost and performance with more bells & whistles than we could have dreamt of.
Have a look at this Tesla Video linked below , warning its very long, very repetitive, but thats always the way with US videos it would seem its the only way to drive the message home, repeat, then repeat again.
Interesting overall, if anyone can do it, he will, but I do take roll out date, and costs with a large pinch of salt.
Your comments are welcome, is this the future coming sooner than we thought, will you be ordering one? Will existing RV?MH manufacturers be concerned as they should be?
LES

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
If the prices hinted at are to be believed, with the range it will be a bargain.
I can't that can being correct, to get a 600 mile range it would need something like a 250kwh battery, to 80% charge that in 10-15 minutes would need chargers capable of about 800kwh! Not many of those around, and certainly not on sites.
It will come though and the huge low end torque of an electoral would be perfect for slogging up hills.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all, especially Gromett
It looks like Elon Musk is well on the way to launch an all electric RV with new battery pack giving a 600 mile range, rechargeable to 80% in 10/15 minutes!
He has done his homework on the existing MH/RV market in the states and Europe and intends to break the mould on cost and performance with more bells & whistles than we could have dreamt of.
Have a look at this Tesla Video linked below , warning its very long, very repetitive, but thats always the way with US videos it would seem its the only way to drive the message home, repeat, then repeat again.
Interesting overall, if anyone can do it, he will, but I do take roll out date, and costs with a large pinch of salt.
Your comments are welcome, is this the future coming sooner than we thought, will you be ordering one? Will existing RV?MH manufacturers be concerned as they should be?
LES

If you believe this you believe anything, the first stop would be to build delivery vans 🚚 which could then be converted. Other than VW which other manufacturer builds MoHo’s

There is no way I would buy a single product owned by a Musk company his ethics are nothing to be admired.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course that MoHo will be fully automated and self driving and comes with a robot to make the bed tuck you in and cook your food

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
weird dream last night, think I’ve watched too many bond films, Elon was the villain who wanted to take over the world, one little bit at a time but it wasn’t making camper vans though..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
In the top right hand of the photo, part of the stage structure seems to be attached to the van ! I'm going with fake news, or a witch hunt?
Mike.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Happily this won’t need charging🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It could be partly possible they recon to have semi solid state batteries in cars by the end of next year with a 600 mile range

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It could be partly possible they recon to have semi solid state batteries in cars by the end of next year with a 600 mile range
Semi solid state still means there's a liquid electrolyte. It appears to only provide mild gains over other types of lithium ion batteries. And it's more expensive.

Personally I think a motorhome that had a real world range of 250 miles would be livable. I'm not generally in a hurry, so stopping for half an hour after 4 hours of driving would be fine with me. The issue is that at the moment, that's about 150kWh of battery, which would be very expensive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We may or may not have the infrastructure for charging electric cars, if suddenly vans and even motorhomes go electric can the established infrastructure cope with the additional size or do we need to start again :unsure:

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Musk?

I would rather stick rusty needles infected with gonorrhoea into my eyeballs than view any output involving that sick,

He's a weirdo, but I do have a grudging admiration of entrepreneurs like him, who risk absolutely everything on projects that others say can't be done and then do it. I worked for quite a few people like Musk, every one of them had narcissistic personality, I think I only 'liked' one of them. But in business at least, I was in awe of all of them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Semi solid state still means there's a liquid electrolyte. It appears to only provide mild gains over other types of lithium ion batteries. And it's more expensive.

Personally I think a motorhome that had a real world range of 250 miles would be livable. I'm not generally in a hurry, so stopping for half an hour after 4 hours of driving would be fine with me. The issue is that at the moment, that's about 150kWh of battery, which would be very expensive.
💡 "Pop up " diesel powered generator electric charging stations ?:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back