DVLA at it again - making up there own rules (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
DVLA have recently been refusing to change the tax class on any motorhome that is up plated to more than 3500KG. The letter they send out is incorrect, as they are saying that they cannot change the tax code, but only change the Maximum permissible mass (to the new weight).

This leaves the revenue weight & mass in service weights at 3500.

Clearly we could end up being done for being overweight.

Also ANY vehicle over 3500KG is automatically classed PHGV.

I have spoken to SVTech about this and they are aware of this issue and have raised this with several bodies including the NCC.

Clearly somebody at DVLA has got a bee in there bonnet about the number of motorhomes up plating and getting VED refunds and has decided to refuse to change the tax class.

One would hope this can be sorted quickly but I suspect not.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
So are DVLA saying VWE can no longer do the calculations for uprating the weight?
Apparently, he’s currently going through the process of being audited & re-accredited by the DVSA, so at the moment all his cases going through the DVLA are on hold.

It could be days or weeks before it’s sorted but he’s ’on it’

Hope it all gets sorted soon as I was just starting the process with Dee. 🤞

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse G8
Exp
Since 2012
So are DVLA saying VWE can no longer do the calculations for uprating the weight?
Yes, that is what I was told. This is the letter I got from them. I had no interest in reducing tax, it was solely because we have combined two vans into one and are full-timers.

Screenshot_20240721_200627_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20240721_123014_WhatsApp.jpg

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Apparently, he’s currently going through the process of being audited & re-accredited by the DVSA, so at the moment all his cases going through the DVLA are on hold.

I was told they were not very good and did not understand what they were doing and were not aware of the technical information for upgrades such as V B air assist etc and that was from a V B air fitting company.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Does anyone know if your insurance needs to know about a van being up-plated and if so, does it cost any more?

I know all insurances are different but if anyone with experience can share, that would be great.

Thanks 🙏

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone know if your insurance needs to know about a van being up-plated and if so, does it cost any more?

I know all insurances are different but if anyone with experience can share, that would be great.

Thanks 🙏
I would say so but not sure about costs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Artilleryman
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, you do need to inform your insurance co. especially if going from 3500kg to a greater weight, due to the tax class changing from PLG to PHGV - and they may ask for proof of C1 for drivers under the age of 50.

As I was changing insurers (to Comfort Guard) at the same time as up plating, I cannot give exact figures, but seem to remember they did not increase my quote by much.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

Thanks 🙏
Mine were not in the slightest interested. Just noted. No extra charge.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, you do need to inform your insurance co. especially if going from 3500kg to a greater weight, due to the tax class changing from PLG to PHGV - and they may ask for proof of C1 for drivers under the age of 50.

As I was changing insurers (to Comfort Guard) at the same time as up plating, I cannot give exact figures, but seem to remember they did not increase my quote by much.

Well, if those people have reported DVLA's mix and match of weights as demonstrated in many posts above the insurers might be tearing out their hair.:LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Artilleryman
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
V5c arrived this morning, Taxation class, Revenue weight & Max. permissible weight are correct, BUT Mass in service is wrong - still 3500kg.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
V5c arrived this morning, Taxation class, Revenue weight & Max. permissible weight are correct, BUT Mass in service is wrong - still 3500kg.

Did you include a letter with your original application and supporting paperwork ‘reminding’ them that the Mass in Service should also be amended? Or does it not actually need to be? Just checked mine and the MIS is as stated on the original CoC from Adria at 3018kg, which makes sense as it’s the Revenue Weight and Max Permissible Mass that have been up-plated to 4250kg and not the base vehicle.

Edit to add: Thinking about it it’s just as well the MiS theoretically remains at the sub 3050kg cutoff for speed limits just in case it needs arguing in court!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Artilleryman
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Edit to add: Thinking about it it’s just as well the MiS theoretically remains at the sub 3050kg cutoff for speed limits just in case it needs arguing in court!
Good luck with that one. Unladen weight is never written down anywhere, so how are we expected to know what it is.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996

Thanks 🙏
I let Caravan Guard know about up plating and there was no charge. We then decided to get rear air done (yesterday) and CG once again did not charge us. I reckon it's best to let them know though.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Good luck with that one. Unladen weight is never written down anywhere, so how are we expected to know what it is.
The DVLA complied my V5c on registration from the CoC. The V5c MiS is as stated on the CoC as 2880kg. However, that was all that they got right after up plating. Took 3yrs and 3 months, numerous unanswered emails and finally to the complaints department informing them that next stop was my MP. Who probably had more important things like fiddling his/her expenses. Didn't have to sidetrack my MP from his/her important pet projects, the DVLA phoned me and after explaining that if they read my complaint, they could see that the V5c was a complete dog's breakfast, (sorry for all Pooches regarding meal arrangements) regarding all the incorrect information. A week later received a correct V5c. So top tip, if it seem that you aren't getting anywhere with the DVLA. Go straight to the complaint's procedure(y) it worked for me - eventually.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The DVLA complied my V5c on registration from the CoC. The V5c MiS is as stated on the CoC as 2880kg. However, that was all that they got right after up plating. Took 3yrs and 3 months, numerous unanswered emails and finally to the complaints department informing them that next stop was my MP. Who probably had more important things like fiddling his/her expenses. Didn't have to sidetrack my MP from his/her important pet projects, the DVLA phoned me and after explaining that if they read my complaint, they could see that the V5c was a complete dog's breakfast, (sorry for all Pooches regarding meal arrangements) regarding all the incorrect information. A week later received a correct V5c. So top tip, if it seem that you aren't getting anywhere with the DVLA. Go straight to the complaint's procedure(y) it worked for me - eventually.

Next time send the application direct to the Complaints Department with a note explaining that this cuts down one step in DVLA's procedures. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996

Thanks 🙏
We told ours but no increase.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I was told they were not very good and did not understand what they were doing and were not aware of the technical information for upgrades such as V B air assist etc and that was from a V B air fitting company.
I'd heard the opposite! It's all a bit confusing. We up plated with VWE after reading countless good reviews.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I’ve just received e-mail letter today from dvla confirming that my upplated v5 weight change has been processed and I will receive my new v5.
Vwe = Dee done all my paperwork which involved extensive engineering report containing my up graded rear air suspension ( mar tech) also new heavy rated alloys plus higher load rated tyres.
Very happy with Dee service, unfortunately took much longer than his normal turnaround times
This is due to change of personal at dvla ( death unfortunately )that he usually deals with in the pass ,
So there a back log of his cases at the moment ,
But a great service from him
very knowledgeable and brilliant communication
Throughout process.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
It's still the UK Richard, ie, there is no such thing as an English/Scottish/Welsh Driving Licence, though I do believe there is a Northern Ireland version. ;)

The DVLA honestly don't seem to know their own rules, regs, or legislation as laid down by government. It is down to us the licence holders, to keep ourselves within the UK law, as well as that of any country we drive in, but it shouldn't be down to Joe Public to badger and chase DVLA, when they clearly get it wrong so often. :mad:

Jock. :(
Yes, there is a Norn Irn version which is also not on the national database.

UK insurers will often ask for the driving licence number, as it won't appear on the database to which they have access.

Our MOT system is also not connected to the national system!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Didn’t really plan on going above 3500kg with our Sprinter. It’s a steep learning curve to find out that’s not possible. We used VWE ( really good) and applied 6th June. Still not heard anything and of course any travel plans are on hold😡

See post #92
Yes that’s the reply to # 91 .
Do you want me to send my email letter I received today from dvla . Stating updated weight approved .
Paper evidence completed by VWE.
Submitted by my self on 14 of may .( Delayed)
Hence why he waiting for back log to go through before submitting new cases .
We are talking about some livelihood here,
let’s get the facts right .

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes that’s the reply to # 91 .
Do you want me to send my email letter I received today from dvla . Stating updated weight approved .
Paper evidence completed by VWE.
Submitted by my self on 14 of may .( Delayed)
Hence why he waiting for back log to go through before submitting new cases .
We are talking about some livelihood here,
let’s get the facts right .
Well I'm just quoting the above that VWE are no longer authorised and are having to get accredited again. Not my facts but someone else's via the DVLA. Post #91 says he's being accredited and cant do anything till hes paaed. He was maybe OK on May but not now it seems?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
What ever
Post 91

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back