DVLA at it again - making up there own rules (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
DVLA have recently been refusing to change the tax class on any motorhome that is up plated to more than 3500KG. The letter they send out is incorrect, as they are saying that they cannot change the tax code, but only change the Maximum permissible mass (to the new weight).

This leaves the revenue weight & mass in service weights at 3500.

Clearly we could end up being done for being overweight.

Also ANY vehicle over 3500KG is automatically classed PHGV.

I have spoken to SVTech about this and they are aware of this issue and have raised this with several bodies including the NCC.

Clearly somebody at DVLA has got a bee in there bonnet about the number of motorhomes up plating and getting VED refunds and has decided to refuse to change the tax class.

One would hope this can be sorted quickly but I suspect not.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Post 91

Apparently, he’s currently going through the process of being audited & re-accredited by the DVSA, so at the moment all his cases going through the DVLA are on hold.

It could be days or weeks before it’s sorted but he’s ’on it’

Hope it all gets sorted soon as I was just starting the process with Dee. 🤞
Yes it was may when this started , and may was when I submitted my up plate info ,
So it coming through slowly as I said , untill back log is cleared not taking on new cases .
I’m sorry I’m sure your a very nice person but I’m done with this now and going to ignore you
Good bye

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes it was may when this started , and may was when I submitted my up plate info ,
So it coming through slowly as I said , untill back log is cleared not taking on new cases .
I’m sorry I’m sure your a very nice person but I’m done with this now and going to ignore you
Good bye
Yes I am a very nice person thank you but you've just confirmed what post 91 said and I quoted so not sure what your issue is?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Having had my van up plated in June 21, I was gutted with what I have been reading on this post, regarding to the situation of VWE. I have been in touch with Dee and Claire (Van Weight Engineering) yesterday regarding the position of VWE. Received a reply early this morning and he is happy for me to share the following information with you. So, there can be no possibility of the internet Faires and keyboard warriors inadvertently changing the actual truth. Remember the classic "Send 3 and 4 pence we are going to a dance" from "Send reinforcements we are going to advance" Below is a copy and paste from that email

We had a spanner thrown into the works at this end last Monday.

Despite >1,600 cases going through without a hitch over the years, last week we've had three packs/applications be rejected or held by the DVLA.

As soon as I heard that any cases were not being 100% approved without question, I took the steps to pause starting any new cases, as I couldn't in good conscience ask someone to submit their logbook without my normal guarantee of service.
Upon discussion with my handler at the DVSA I've learned that the former Head who approved me has sadly passed away, and the new Head wants me to be reassessed/re-approved (which I can appreciate). So I'm currently going through the process of being audited & re-accredited by the DVSA.
At the moment a couple of my cases going through the DVLA are on hold, & only one has been rejected on technical grounds, while all others are still being approved without issue, so anyone with a logbook currently working its way through the DVLAs sausage machine shouldn't be affected.

Everyone affected has been contacted, and apart from one (who was in an absolute rush) have said that they're happy to wait for the issue to be sorted, rather than go elsewhere, so I cannot begin to express my pride & gratitude for the trust folks have in me & my service.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, this is my livelihood, so I want to get this sorted as soon as possible, though I cannot say at present whether this will take days or weeks to resolve, but I'm already past the first stage in the process to get re-accredited, so I'm hopeful it will be sorted promptly.

Obviously if anyone's pack does get held, I'll issue them a full refund without hesitation, but I know the faff of resubmitting is probably just as much of an issue, so they can rest assured I'll do all that I can to avoid that happening.
Once I'm back up & running my first priority will be sorting the couple of cases that are held up in the DVLA's sausage machine, and then I'll pick up everyone else's cases where we'd left off.
In the meantime, regardless of whether I'm getting paid or not, I'm still here, I'm still answering folks' questions, & I'll still continue to help where I can.

It's worth noting that this only affects the UK market going via the DVLA (I'm accredited to work on EU/IOM/ROI cases).
Any cases folks have for the DVSA route (commercial vehicles) can be progressed as part of my assessment, but these will be slower to turn around than normal.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience, understanding & kind words of support during this time; Claire & I have found it genuinely touching that our reputation has resulted in 43/44 of the folks we've spoken to, saying they'd rather wait for me than to go elsewhere.
I'm very appreciative & humbled by their trust. Thank you.

Speak soon & kind regards,

Dee Thorne

Upvote 1
OP
OP
The Artilleryman
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having had my van up plated in June 21, I was gutted with what I have been reading on this post, regarding to the situation of VWE. I have been in touch with Dee and Claire (Van Weight Engineering) yesterday regarding the position of VWE. Received a reply early this morning and he is happy for me to share the following information with you. So, there can be no possibility of the internet Faires and keyboard warriors inadvertently changing the actual truth. Remember the classic "Send 3 and 4 pence we are going to a dance" from "Send reinforcements we are going to advance" Below is a copy and paste from that email

We had a spanner thrown into the works at this end last Monday.

Despite >1,600 cases going through without a hitch over the years, last week we've had three packs/applications be rejected or held by the DVLA.

As soon as I heard that any cases were not being 100% approved without question, I took the steps to pause starting any new cases, as I couldn't in good conscience ask someone to submit their logbook without my normal guarantee of service.
Upon discussion with my handler at the DVSA I've learned that the former Head who approved me has sadly passed away, and the new Head wants me to be reassessed/re-approved (which I can appreciate). So I'm currently going through the process of being audited & re-accredited by the DVSA.
At the moment a couple of my cases going through the DVLA are on hold, & only one has been rejected on technical grounds, while all others are still being approved without issue, so anyone with a logbook currently working its way through the DVLAs sausage machine shouldn't be affected.

Everyone affected has been contacted, and apart from one (who was in an absolute rush) have said that they're happy to wait for the issue to be sorted, rather than go elsewhere, so I cannot begin to express my pride & gratitude for the trust folks have in me & my service.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, this is my livelihood, so I want to get this sorted as soon as possible, though I cannot say at present whether this will take days or weeks to resolve, but I'm already past the first stage in the process to get re-accredited, so I'm hopeful it will be sorted promptly.

Obviously if anyone's pack does get held, I'll issue them a full refund without hesitation, but I know the faff of resubmitting is probably just as much of an issue, so they can rest assured I'll do all that I can to avoid that happening.
Once I'm back up & running my first priority will be sorting the couple of cases that are held up in the DVLA's sausage machine, and then I'll pick up everyone else's cases where we'd left off.
In the meantime, regardless of whether I'm getting paid or not, I'm still here, I'm still answering folks' questions, & I'll still continue to help where I can.

It's worth noting that this only affects the UK market going via the DVLA (I'm accredited to work on EU/IOM/ROI cases).
Any cases folks have for the DVSA route (commercial vehicles) can be progressed as part of my assessment, but these will be slower to turn around than normal.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience, understanding & kind words of support during this time; Claire & I have found it genuinely touching that our reputation has resulted in 43/44 of the folks we've spoken to, saying they'd rather wait for me than to go elsewhere.
I'm very appreciative & humbled by their trust. Thank you.

Speak soon & kind regards,

Dee Thorne
At last a succinct explanation.

Does this mean that VWE are an end to end service, where they do everything (including V5c being updated) ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
At last a succinct explanation.

Does this mean that VWE are an end to end service, where they do everything (including V5c being updated) ?
Not sure of your “end to end service “. My experience in 2021 was an email to VWE got the ball rolling. Dee asked for various van dims and current weighbridge ticket plus photos of vehicle including brakes and rear semi air suspension. I paid the dosh and Dee sent all the relevant paperwork including a covering letter, stating what needed to be changed on the V5c. Needless to say the person at the DVLA knew better and within 3 months I had 2 V5c’s because the 1st up plate one had revenue weight correct but missing vehicle cat m1, MiS missing and no towing info which I believe (although no proof) required if on the continent. The named individual on the V5c has to submit the paperwork to the DVLA. It did take 3years and 3 months to get a correctly compiled V5c

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back