Dogs travelling in motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Reading another thread a member was asked what he did with his dogs when travelling and he replied '' I don't do anything with them they just amuse themselves ''. Rule 57 of the Highway Code states '' When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you or themselves if you stop quickly''. Does anyone comply with this legislation ?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Every dog is different. Some dogs can be relied upon to do what they're told and just sit and never move when in a vehicle.

Snow and Curt on you tube travel with 2 cats . One roams all over the place and often sits on the dash when travelling!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Nope, cat sits on the wife's lap or snoozes on the couch.

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Our dog, Dylan, is restrained but on a long lead to allow him to move about a bit but he usually settles in the passenger footwell or between the front seats with access to food and water.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Merlin is attached to a chain bolted to the floor and onto his harness. A 20kg dog flying through the air in a crash will injure you both. I have always restrained my dogs in all vehicles. For their safety and mine.

Oh I use chain as in the past he has chewed through webbing leads and even steel cable

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I put a spring loaded shackle in the floor and use a stretchy y shaped lead to secure our two, a Samoyed and a Yorkshire terrorist.

IMG_0198.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Why do people risk their animals being thrown around in the event of an accident or heavy braking? My greatest fear would be if we had an accident and my little dog ran away through fear. Or that she was thrown around like a rag dog, smashing into things. What would someone do in that scenario? It's crazy and irresponsible to leave animals loose. My dog is always in a harness on a seatbelt. We make enough stops for toileting and food/water breaks.

Stop putting your animals at risk. It's not clever.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Considering our muttly is a rescue dog and may have never traveled in a motorhome he is quite happy to wedge himself between the front seats with his harness on that is fastened to the seat base by a short tether. I always keep the two centre air vents blowing fresh air on him.
Seeing dogs traveling on passengers or even drivers laps winds me up. The driver and passenger are by law restrained but the poor dog becomes a missile in an accident.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our (small) dog sleeps in his bed on the floor between the two front seats. As long as the motorhome is moving he will remain there. He loves to get the cool breeze from the air con.
He is never restrained and I do sometimes wonder what would happen if we had an accident, but to be honest most restrains and harnesses would do more harm than good as very few of them are crash tested.

Edit - as shown above.

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Harness secured to the seatbelt anchor point, sleeps between the two seats, always give her a good run before a long journey, she doesn’t normally stir till we stop or she gets a whiff of the sea, generally we don’t do more than a couple of hours before a break 3 at the most, not in any hurry we’re retired 😊

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think this is a tough one. Firstly, unlike cars, where a motorhome has just two belted seats for driver and passenger there is no obvious seat belt point (or possibly any point) to securely fasten the dog to.

We have two labs and tried variously attaching them to stuff but the younger one is ver clever and will release herself from most restraints and if she can’t release herself she releases the older dog. I swear, if she had opposable thumbs she could pick a lock!

We have settled on an expandable steel fence that runs behind the two front seats which completely denies them access to the driver passenger area of the vehicle. No window can be left open and the exit door has to be double locked as the younger one would certainly open it.

Confined to the rear they generally just lie down and go to sleep.

I hold my hands up, it’s not perfect but it works for us. Our major concern is not letting the dogs interfere with driving and restricting their access completely to that area.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Having crashed our first Moho a few years ago, we now always secure our 2 dogs. It was just luck there weren't injured... our German shepherd who was near the rear ended up around my feet and the pedals, our toy Yorkshire terrier had just got off SWMBO's lap and in her bed which slid under the dash area. If she hadn't she would have hit the screen

Most of the cupboard contents showered all of us and this was a relatively low speed impact at around 25 - 30 mph

Please secure your 4 legged family, you never know when an idiot driver is going to turn up...

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I think this is a tough one. Firstly, unlike cars, where a motorhome has just two belted seats for driver and passenger there is no obvious seat belt point (or possibly any point) to securely fasten the dog to.

We have two labs and tried variously attaching them to stuff but the younger one is ver clever and will release herself from most restraints and if she can’t release herself she releases the older dog. I swear, if she had opposable thumbs she could pick a lock!

We have settled on an expandable steel fence that runs behind the two front seats which completely denies them access to the driver passenger area of the vehicle. No window can be left open and the exit door has to be double locked as the younger one would certainly open it.

Confined to the rear they generally just lie down and go to sleep.

I hold my hands up, it’s not perfect but it works for us. Our major concern is not letting the dogs interfere with driving and restricting their access completely to that area.
We had a houdini dog excellent escape artist nightmare to manage.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We have our Pointer between the passenger and driver seats, he lays there quite content. We also had a head on crash into a car that had pulled out on us on the A9, we were doing about 45-50mph. I stood on the brakes before we collided and Stanley (the Pointer) was okay where he was and unharmed. We still travel this way.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Reading another thread a member was asked what he did with his dogs when travelling and he replied '' I don't do anything with them they just amuse themselves ''. Rule 57 of the Highway Code states '' When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you or themselves if you stop quickly''. Does anyone comply with this legislation ?
The Highway Code is British - the poster to which you refer is not travelling in Britain :doh: .

I think it's up to the individual to assess their dogs and implement the best for them & their driver.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
On a short but strong fabric leash attached to a passenger seatbelt mount and clipped to a harness; not her collar.. A serious collision might break her neck like that! Allows her to reach between the front seats but no further. She is around 28kg so could do a lot of damage completely free. People must do their own risk analysis and be prepared to accept the consequences if they are unlucky and get it wrong. We are fairly risk-averse so have chosen to be cautious.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
My approach is also coloured by a "priority-a-droit" incident a few years back when I wrote off a Golf (with excellent modern brakes) hitting a builder's truck on an unmarked and completely blind crossroad. If driving in France make sure you fully understand this rule; which some think no longer applies. It is very much alive and functioning. The collision, incidentally, was judged to be entirely my fault! Apologies for slight swerve off-topic.

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Our dog, Dylan, is restrained but on a long lead to allow him to move about a bit but he usually settles in the passenger footwell or between the front seats with access to food and water.
My Schitzu Olly is exactly the same. Spends most of his time at the wife’s feet. Brave dog!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We used to put ours in his canvas cage then securely placed against the back of the passenger seat under the table

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back