Dogs travelling in motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You can never cover all bases though. What if you have a crash, and van catches fire, or it just catches on fire and now your dog is tied up inside a burning vehicle.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
The highway code is guidance not legislation.

But it does make sense, especially for their safety in a crash.

Further..
Animals like humans can behave irrationally if scared or shocked.

Consider a very noisy impact.

The law does require a driver to be in proper control of the vehicle, and being distracted by a beloved panicked pet is one possible scenario that might fall foul.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Our two travelling , the idea is in an emergency stop they slide across the table until stopped by the harness.
IMG_0255.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
You can never cover all bases though. What if you have a crash, and van catches fire, or it just catches on fire and now your dog is tied up inside a burning vehicle.
What if your dog is not restrained and it gets beamed up by the alien mothership, always plenty of what ifsšŸ˜šŸ˜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Our Cavvy always goes in a travel cage in the motorhome.

In the car she travels on the back seat with her harness tethered to a seat belt fastener.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Flynn has one of these Kurgo travelling harnesses. Crash tested for a dog up to 108lb, very adjustable.

It plugs into a seat belt socket on the dinette seat, and he loves it. He has a comfy seat with his very own cushion (containing his doggy towel bag for when heā€™s filthy), he can sit and lie down, and best of all look out of the window.

He wags like mad when the harness comes out. It means weā€™re off on our next adventure!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our two, around 25kg each, have strong harnesses linked by expanding (a bit) straps to the rear seat belt anchorages. Spice sleeps all the way but Meg moves about a bit and can come as far as between the front seats but not enough to be in the way.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I bolted a heavy D ring to the drivers seat base. Hopefully muttlies harness and the tether will stop him moving forwards.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Bentley has a perfect fit harness and is tethered to the seat belt anchor.
He loves travelling but hates passport control at the tunnel.
IMG_2691.jpeg

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Ours travels on the bed at the rear but is securely tethered and canā€™t get off the bed.

A word of caution to all those who choose to ignore the law and let theirs roam, I have read of vehicle insurers failing to pay out in the event of an accident when the animal hadnā€™t been secured.

Jan 30, 2021
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Escape 664
Exp
Since 2015
What if
My mum and dad would drive back from pub on a Sunday absolutely over the limit , but there wasn't one,me and my sister both 10 years old, no seat belts breathing in cigarette smoke and being thrown around back seats
Oh my god how awful
Yet we now have a Labour government for the next five years at least
I know of the two what is more dangerous to my health

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for that

but itā€™s says according to ā€œthe dogs trust! ā€œ Claims may be rejected!

Not claims will or have been rejected claims.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen a report some years ago where a claim was denied, whatever why take the chance!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Reading another thread a member was asked what he did with his dogs when travelling and he replied '' I don't do anything with them they just amuse themselves ''. Rule 57 of the Highway Code states '' When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you or themselves if you stop quickly''. Does anyone comply with this legislation ?
Took dogs with me for 30 odd years when I was truck driving..never took any measures really..early days they sat on top of engine cover..later sat on bottom sleeper bunk..never ever a problem...but that was in the olden days.BUSBY.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Our cats are in individual boxes on the floor. They would knock into each other or eventually the back of front seats in a severe head on. Vet told us not to restrain the boxes too hard as that in itself would badly injure or kill the cat. Having some movement reduces the deceleration.

Our fear having had a car on fire many years back is not being able to get them out, and course, if in boxes, they can't get themselves out. If they are also belted in, that's valuable time lost.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for that

but itā€™s says according to ā€œthe dogs trust! ā€œ Claims may be rejected!

Not claims will or have been rejected claims.

It actually only states that the statistic of 48% is generated by the Dogs Trust, not the likelihood of a rejected claim, that has come from the insurance broker.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When Pip was a pup she travelled in a crate that was fixed.
Now she sleeps between my feet in passenger footwell, she does come up for a cuddle but not for long.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Ours travels on the bed at the rear but is securely tethered and canā€™t get off the bed.

A word of caution to all those who choose to ignore the law and let theirs roam, I have read of vehicle insurers failing to pay out in the event of an accident when the animal hadnā€™t been secured.
Link please, I would like to read this.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
David BW it appears to me that its

an opinion by both the dogs trust and an insurance broker, no actual evidence of refusal to pay a claim specifically because a dog was not secured in a vehicle.

If an insurance company took the stance of ā€œ if you break the law they will not payoutā€ then there would be a lot of claims rejected every time there was an accident.

I understand and comply with ensuring our dog is safe while travelling. But I can see no evidence of non payment of a claim directly related to an unsecured dog in a vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back