LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For the past 7 years, I've happily used my van with 2x 100ahr Banner Lead Acid batteries.
I've just have had a chat with my service chaps about lithium, they were unpersuaded that my existing charging regime would do.

Given the Banner's have provided all the 12v I've needed, he recommended replacing the current batteries with a pair of Gels.
At a quarter of the cost...

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It’s unlikely, but if your charger has a gel setting you’ll get a useful extra capacity from a couple of gels. Sonnenschein and Exide are generally considered the best ones.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I refer to this elderly post [2021]
If the depth of discharge, the rate of charge and the lightweight are important to you, then they are worth paying for. If not, a good LA or Gell will last you years at a ¼ of the price. (y)
As a direct replacement [not an upgrade] for the original lead acid, I've obviously been comfortable with all of the above 3 factors - seems Gel at 25% of the cost is a no brainer

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I did exactly this evaluation a couple of months ago, batteries need changing so why not go lithium

So why not’s

Cost
Benefit
Risk

As you say much more to buy, I have been fine for the last 10 years with gel, what will my alternator / charging system think of the ‘foreign body’ lithium invasion and cease to function 🤔

I bought 2 new gels and am drinking my way through the money saved 😁

IMG_2289.jpeg

Got a long way to go 👍

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I did exactly this evaluation a couple of months ago, batteries need changing so why not go lithium

So why not’s

Cost
Benefit
Risk

As you say much more to buy, I have been fine for the last 10 years with gel, what will my alternator / charging system think of the ‘foreign body’ lithium invasion and cease to function 🤔

View attachment 896009

Got a long way to go 👍
I’ve just done more or less the same. If it suits why change. We’ve just come back from 2 months Off-Grid with 100 solar and 2x 115ah. The previous setup lasted 10 years!!

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ

So why not’s

Cost
Benefit
Risk

View attachment 896009

Got a long way to go 👍
Likewise.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why do I need lithium - not a power user
Because we find it entertaining to read all the posts from anxious upgraders asking for help to solve the subsequent leccy problems and the schadenfreude enjoyed from photos of their lethargic Apollo 13 anxiety panels. ;)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Mainly cost... as well as battery, would need to upgrade solar controller & 12v/240v charger
Don't need the extra capacity
Don't need to save weight
Don't comprehend having a battery outliving the van
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Why do you need to upgrade the things you are saying you need to upgrade? Answers to your points above are below.

No need to update anything in terms of chargers
I’m suggesting the same capacity with 1 off 100A lithium
Weight is what it is…
Move the battery to the next van or sell it
Fossil fuel power stations worked well, but technology changes

There is a lot of tosh on here about lithium not working with XYZ charger etc etc, well of course it will. Will it be the absolute optimal, no it won’t! Does it matter, as you say, you’re a light user. No it doesn’t.

So, less cost, significantly longer life and as a light user could get 20-30 years out of one or have residual value.

However, it seems that you have made your mind up already Sir?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Mainly cost... as well as battery, would need to upgrade solar controller & 12v/240v charger
Don't need the extra capacity
Don't need to save weight
Don't comprehend having a battery outliving the van
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
So the questions wasn't a question then.
Understood.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have 2 x90 gel batteries I bought from a funster almost new 3 or 4 yrs ago, a 150 w solar panel on the roof. Use quite a bit of electricity for tv, drone, laptops , bike batteries etc but still haven’t felt the need for lithium.. ..I’m in no rush for lithium and might change 1 day when price comes down.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
For the past 7 years, I've happily used my van with 2x 100ahr Banner Lead Acid batteries.
I've just have had a chat with my service chaps about lithium, they were unpersuaded that my existing charging regime would do.

Given the Banner's have provided all the 12v I've needed, he recommended replacing the current batteries with a pair of Gels.
At a quarter of the cost...
If it ain't broke don't "fix it" or unless your planning to to start carrying half you domestic kitchen appliances,
like some feel the need to do.
Go with most cost effective similar/updated version of what you had, no need to "upgrade".

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
unless your planning to to start carrying half you domestic kitchen appliances,
like some feel the need to do.

I resemble that remark .....😁😁

and bloody good it is too! Just cooked tea on the George Foreman grill, boiled the electric kettle for a cuppa, SWMS cooked her tagliatelle in the microwave, then washed up using water heated by the battery. No gas was hurt in the making of this aforementioned tea .... and it was immensely satisfying to save 25p worth of gas to offset the £1500 (approx) to be able to achieve all that .....

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe that for the vast majority of Funsters their motorhome is their hobby which they use and enjoy as much as they can.

Hobbyists often get deeply involved in their hobbies and love spending time (and money) on buying stuff for them.

Fair play to them. I used to LOVE going to the motorhome shows and bought this gadget or that item for my van.

Then folk meet up with other motorhomers either in the real world or in cyberspace (or both) and they tell each other about the latest "must have" items they've just got for their van.

My first van didn't even have a leisure battery!

Then stuff becomes "fashionable"! Solar panels became the latest "much have" item along with B2B chargers and now lithium batteries never mind if you only use your motorhome for short times away and most often on campsites hooked up via an EHU.

All this is great if you enjoy it all but I reckon a huge percentage of vans are packed with equipment that their owners don't really need or even use that much.

I do not have lithium batteries and I live in my van full time and have done for decades.

JJ :cool:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It really comes down to your usage, and if you don't plan to change the way you use the van probably not worth the expense of going to Lithium.

We have never had a problem with our 3 x 78ah Gels but the next van we are not having an oven, as you know I like tinkering with the electrics so I'm going for a biggish Lithium set up that will cost a few grand because I can, probably not necessary but it's fun.

Tam Northernraider is a fairly low power user but he uses his van 100% off grid for most of the year so for a good compromise we fitted just a single 105 ah Lithium. The 100ah gives him the power he needs and has the advantage of being able to charge far quicker than LA using solar & a B2B. Without the fast charge capability of Lithium he would need a much bigger battery bank.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Stephen, I have no intention of installing lithium in my van. The current AGM set-up (Lenny HB will be throwing a hissy fit if he reads this comment) performs the tasks I require of it, faultlessly. I plan on leaving what works for me, alone.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It really comes down to your usage, and if you don't plan to change the way you use the van probably not worth the expense of going to Lithium.

We have never had a problem with our 3 x 78ah Gels but the next van we are not having an oven, as you know I like tinkering with the electrics so I'm going for a biggish Lithium set up that will cost a few grand because I can, probably not necessary but it's fun.

Tam Northernraider is a fairly low power user but he uses his van 100% off grid for most of the year so for a good compromise we fitted just a single 105 ah Lithium. The 100ah gives him the power he needs and has the advantage of being able to charge far quicker than LA using solar & a B2B. Without the fast charge capability of Lithium he would need a much bigger battery bank.
100% off grid 100% of the year. Not a heavy power user but lights, pump, phone/drone/tablet/hoover charging and approx 5/6 hours of TV use per day. But the size of my battery works because fridge is 3 way and heating ( gas fire ) uses no power . So even in crap weather my 400watt solar can replenish my battery use daily.

My reasoning for fitting was also because my entire electric system on this camper wasn't the best so changing chargers etc made sense.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hobbyists often get deeply involved in their hobbies and love spending time (and money) on buying stuff for them.
Much the same in the yachting world: The Birmingham Navy with their gin palaces adorned with wind generator, radar, chart plotter, Satnav, MF radio, autopilot, fresh water maker, self-furling sails etc etc and only leave the marina once a month to go a few miles on a fine Sunday for a day at another nearby marina.

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Not sure I understand the OP. You asked whether to change to lithium, and when anyone suggests yes, you seem to vehemently defend changing to gel. Change to gel then if you aren't comfortable with lithium for the various reasons you've noted as you've already evidently answered your own question.

I think most of us who have changed to Lithium are more than happy with the change, but if you can get by with gel then that's also fine.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My two gels are 100% by mid morning and I use 1000w inverter for kettle toaster remosker charging and others…. But I do have 400w of solar and now for rainy days I have a victron Orion B2B to be sure to be sure….👍🏼

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
My two gels are 100% by mid morning and I use 1000w inverter for kettle toaster remosker charging and others…. But I do have 400w of solar and now for rainy days I have a victron Orion B2B to be sure to be sure….👍🏼
My two gels are 100% by mid morning too, as soon as I put my coffee machine on, they tell me to do one🤷‍♂️ as for the airfryer, forget it, who would want gels when we’ve got enough stuff in kitchen to film ready steady cook🤷‍♂️🙄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back