CritAir, how many bother with it? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just pondering whether or not to register :unsure: the only zone we might go near would be Rouen and then that would just be straight through, do most people get one and has anybody ever been stopped and fined for not having one inside a Zone?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For what it costs, about £5 I think, it’s worth having it. You only pay once for as long as you own that vehicle.

There are many more “Green” zones popping up over France. Some are variable, ie current one day, not needed the next, depending on pollution levels which makes it difficult to be absolutely sure that you are OK without constantly checking.

Are you likely to be stopped and fined as a specific check for the Certificate? I wouldn’t think so but, if you are stopped in a routine check or have an accident while in a zone, it would probably be picked up then.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For the few pounds it cost, we got one’s for France and Germany, don’t think we will need them but given the continual expansion you never know.
I was wavering towards getting one but as a Private HGV we would be category N2 on their application, so declaring ourselves to be a "goods vehicle" if there was a motorhome category I might be more tempted.
We are going next Spring and I don’t and won’t be, no Angles Mortes stickers either

Reminds me of the days when we were supposed to paint our headlights yellow , didn’t do that either 😁
And carry a breathalyser ;) I have the Angles Mortes though so half way there :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We got the CritAir and the German one. Bit of a no brainier as so cheap.
Ended up being a good thing as my satnav went wild and took me through centre of Paris - on banks of the Seine. Thank goodness it was a Sunday!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got one for the Winnie, sent a picture in of the LPG conversion certificate and log book, came back as a 1. Surprised as I only got a 3 for the German umwelt sticker

Jul 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Worth it for when there’s ‘multiple traffic events’ as our Sat Nav calls them. You then have the option of rerouting through an environmental zone if that’s what the lady in the machine suggests is best.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
This from Google:
Yes, cameras in France use license plate recognition (LPR) to read Crit'Air stickers on vehicles entering low emission zones (LEZ).

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have for all our vans so far and as soon as our V5 arrives I’ll be ordering them for this new van. Cheap as chips and then we don’t have to worry. Might not arrive in time for first trip mind!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think there is some confusion about what one can infringe by not having one.

Firstly, there is the requirement to have one if one enters any zone which may at sometime be activated, whether it is so activated at the time.

Secondly, there is the offence of entering an active emissions zone, including the permanent ones like Paris, without having a CritAir sticker appropriate for the class that is permitted to enter at that time.

I assume the penalties for these different offences are also different.

I also suspect that enforcement of the first category is less stringent.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I have both the CritAir and German Umwelt stickers.
They are still on the letters they came stuck on and placed in the glove box.

Went into the centre of Rouen a couple of weeks ago so just put the letter with the yellow sticker facing upwards. Removed it as soon as we were out of the city.

I don’t do stickers in windows.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have both too. I don't think we have ever entered a zone that requires one or t'other.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
It’s easy enough to get the German one, take your V5 to a TUV station and they’ll write one for 5 or 6 euros. some town halls also issue them and I think many garages can too.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely it’s the vans without stickers that get penalised or have I had them so long I’ve forgotten?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I was wavering towards getting one but as a Private HGV we would be category N2 on their application, so declaring ourselves to be a "goods vehicle" if there was a motorhome category I might be more tempted.

We are PHGV (U.K. taxation class) and M1 - as are the majority of motorhomes with the ‘Motor Caravan’ designation on the V5C - so also M1 under the Euro ( and U.K.) classifications It’s their website which doesn’t make it clear by referring to M1 as ‘passenger cars’ instead of ‘vehicles used for the carriage of passengers’. I used M1 on the application and the sticker arrived a week or so later.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are PHGV (U.K. taxation class) and M1 - as are the majority of motorhomes with the ‘Motor Caravan’ designation on the V5C - so also M1 under the Euro ( and U.K.) classifications It’s their website which doesn’t make it clear by referring to M1 as ‘passenger cars’ instead of ‘vehicles used for the carriage of passengers’. I used M1 on the application and the sticker arrived a week or so later.

That useful thanks, our V5 has nothing in the classification box and our C of C says N2 but that is for the original chassis which is commercial, I might give it a go at M1, if we don't get one my navigator will just worry.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This from Google:
Yes, cameras in France use license plate recognition (LPR) to read Crit'Air stickers on vehicles entering low emission zones (LEZ).
So the only way they can get your details these days is a formalmapplication to DVLA or if you've volunteered them during the application process.

We do a lot in France, we're here right now and I currently think its better not to. Most of the indigenous camping caristes seem to agree with me as very few of them are displaying it.

Of course there are a few places I cant go, but they tend to be places I dont go anyway.

With Rouen funflair through the tunnel over the river and 270° right turn and out to cow island is outside the zone. Or you might enjoy a stop by the river at La Mailleraye via Yvetot pont de Brotonne as we're increasingly using.

Edit, we are seeing more larger CCs with Angles Mortes stickers on.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Martin, I don’t know about France (yes I do have a crit air tho) but I’ve been through German cities, Wiesbaden and Munich where I’ve seen portable cameras set up to check the windscreens for the green ticket!!
Austria (I know you’re not going there) there is a requirement for you to have a pickerl sticker if you’ve got an N on the logbook (phgv or truck chassis derived motorhome) and yes that would include van conversions (under 3.5t) that haven’t been re registered as a motor caravan!!
It’s a minefield over there👍😁😁

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
So the only way they can get your details these days is a formalmapplication to DVLA or if you've volunteered them during the application process.

We do a lot in France, we're here right now and I currently think its better not to. Most of the indigenous camping caristes seem to agree with me as very few of them are displaying it.

Of course there are a few places I cant go, but they tend to be places I dont go anyway.

With Rouen funflair through the tunnel over the river and 270° right turn and out to cow island is outside the zone. Or you might enjoy a stop by the river at La Mailleraye via Yvetot pont de Brotonne as we're increasingly using.

Edit, we are seeing more larger CCs with Angles Mortes stickers on.
I believe they can refuse entry next time if they feel inclined or refuse access to the ferry or train until all fines paid. I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a fiver.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back