Cost of touring in Germany (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
we are going through Germany to Austria and the back through Switzerland and France in September.
What apps are you guys using for stellplatz or are you just turning up and hoping.
This will be our first trip to Europe in motorhome.
Any hints would be welcome.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
we are going through Germany to Austria and the back through Switzerland and France in September.
What apps are you guys using for stellplatz or are you just turning up and hoping.
This will be our first trip to Europe in motorhome.
Any hints would be welcome.
This was our first time too!

We've mainly used S4S as our primary go to app, although P4N is our second choice.
And yes, you hope for the best, although there are a few that you can book online before arrival, the majority are just turn up - the one we're on at Rothenberg was bedlam last night, we probably got the last reasonably space at 6pm, and there were still vans, and a car and caravan! Driving in at 10/11 pm trying to find a space

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Cant remember the name, but it was directly under the zugspitze mountain (we could see the cable car from our pitch).
Around 70 euros and extra for leccy.

Lovely area though.

Graydo
if the site is the one we camped at years ago it’s a very popular area and it’s expensive to live there so not surprised at the cost for camping and MoHo’s. I suspect if there was a MoHo camp site in Monaco you would pay £500 per night plus electricity 😉

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
if the site is the one we camped at years ago it’s a very popular area and it’s expensive to live there so not surprised at the cost for camping and MoHo’s. I suspect if there was a MoHo camp site in Monaco you would pay £500 per night plus electricity 😉
Thanks for your insight.

Graydo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
This was our first time too!

We've mainly used S4S as our primary go to app, although P4N is our second choice.
And yes, you hope for the best, although there are a few that you can book online before arrival, the majority are just turn up - the one we're on at Rothenberg was bedlam last night, we probably got the last reasonably space at 6pm, and there were still vans, and a car and caravan! Driving in at 10/11 pm trying to find a space
We’ve had one driving round trying to get in at rothenburg P2 at 2.30 in the morning🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm in Germany now . My observations

Lots of flt parking spots .
Lots of aires with free grey and toilet disposal . Some with free water . Many with free parking although those ones seem to be packed with longterm fulltimers.

Diesel average €1.65 which was the same in Austria, italy and Greece

Water I've got free so far

Don't use ehu so no idea about that.

Weather ...very warm

Food shopping , I think it's about the Same as it was in Greece, somethings cheaper other things dearer . I've used lidl in every country so far so good comparison.

Haven't eaten out as travelling alone its not the same .

Don't use campsites

Paid aires I've seen have been between €8 and 12 . But I've found better spots in carparks .

Much more dog friendly than I've had in Greece Turkey, and Italy.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I'm in Germany now . My observations

Lots of flt parking spots .
Lots of aires with free grey and toilet disposal . Some with free water . Many with free parking although those ones seem to be packed with longterm fulltimers.

Diesel average €1.65 which was the same in Austria, italy and Greece

Water I've got free so far

Don't use ehu so no idea about that.

Weather ...very warm

Food shopping , I think it's about the Same as it was in Greece, somethings cheaper other things dearer . I've used lidl in every country so far so good comparison.

Haven't eaten out as travelling alone its not the same .

Don't use campsites

Paid aires I've seen have been between €8 and 12 . But I've found better spots in carparks .

Much more dog friendly than I've had in Greece Turkey, and Italy.
And that’s why we like Germany, it’s so easy there, providing you don’t tire of half timbered houses easily👍🤭

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A week doing the Romantic route was a fabulous trip. Cuisine - well nothing particulary spectacular, but then neither is British!
The romantic road is easily the nicest part of Germany. And very very easy to find free park ups .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And that’s why we like Germany, it’s so easy there, providing you don’t tire of half timbered houses easily👍🤭
Well I love wood , and I love the old medieval towns so it's right up my street. The Germans are far friendlier in their own country too than I've found them in Greece and Spain. They behave better too lol

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Don’t g

Don't me wrong.. I love and have been to many parts of Europe….. I just don’t like Germany or their cuisine…. (y)
I was going to say your missing out.
But I will admit that there are county's that don't click with me and it's unlikely I will bother going back. I can't specifically say why I'm not keen on them I'm Just not.
Plenty of places I want to spend more time in :giggle: Germany being one of them.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
We stayed in this little village in Germany last year on the way back, free parking, water and on one side free EHU right next to a river. Ok for a stop over and walk around, few little shops and patisseries
1721079145452.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Also one of our favourites is this one, paid Stelplatz but stunning location in a National Park with a massive lake, you could walk through the woods for days or catch the ferry to different villages around the lake.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We stayed in this little village in Germany last year on the way back, free parking, water and on one side free EHU right next to a river. Ok for a stop over and walk around, few little shops and patisseries
View attachment 923586
That place would be a Beaux Village if it were in France. NB that one river is significantly colder than the other if going swimming in the river !

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
An interesting post, I have just come back from the Netherlands 3 weeks and a week in Germany. The coin meter EHU was only 50c / kwhr, and I did not use more than 4 euro in 4 day stays and my cooking is all electric. Wonder what people are doing to run up 4+ euro per day? I think the supermarkets are all more expensive than the UK and I don’t eat high end food. Campsites are lower cost than the UK and I don’t bother with glorified car parks but there again I am not interested in Cities.
Same here.

We went with one of our daughters who lives in the Abu Dhabi.

She said it was cheaper in the r we UAE in most places.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We found Germany very much a cash required place. Even some big shops whilst spending big money. But not all
We found just the opposite last year and the same in Denmark where we changed just £50 into local currency only to stop and use it on diesel to avoid swapping it back just before we left!

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Having just completed 4 weeks touring round Germany, some thoughts on costs and comparability to UK.

Stellplatz ranged from €5 up to €18 with average €12. All walkable to towns/cities. Cheaper than CL/CS at home but lots are really just car parks.

Electric was being charged at 80c per kwatt.Most that we talked to were spending between 4/6 € per day, don’t know what they were running This was in lovely weather, dread to think in cold weather.

Water still at €1 per 100 litres.

Diesel was about €1.65, so about £1.50 ish a litre.

Eating out comparable to pub prices at home we found, especially if avoiding cheap schnitzel places, wine was between €6/8 for a medium glass.

Supermarket shopping seemed much as at home for bread, milk etc.

So all in all cost of living was much as Uk, inflation seems to have been as bad there, saving grace is the stellplatz network though we found prices much higher than our last visit.

Roll on Spain in September!!!
Thanks for the write up, how did you get on with their glass and plastic bottle deposit (pfand) system?

Pete

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We found just the opposite last year and the same in Denmark where we changed just £50 into local currency only to stop and use it on diesel to avoid swapping it back just before we left!
Agree

Was over in Germany in May, albeit on motorbikes. But card everywhere. Very litttle cash used.

But as always it’s wise to have some cash. Just in case.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We spent £550 ish on outdoor gear (shoes coat fleece) and was told cash only. No cash no sale.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Is Germany more cash orientated, not so much into using cards to pay for things?
They always used to be, before Covid.

It has changed a lot, at least in Cities, but may still be a necessity to have cash away from the busiest places.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Been in Germany for the last 3 weeks, landed at the Hook, went to Arnhem and as far East as Colditz. Then down most of the Romantic road to Füssen and now routing west. Lots of places / sites in the North / East still wanted cash and some only cash. Fuel stations and big shops card is no problem. A fantastic Stellaplaz in Rothenburg for 15€ pn and sites from 20 -45€ but lots of stuff "extra" especially in the popular area. "Booking fees" up to 5€, waste charge, environmental charge, and all charge for ehu, some at a flat rate of 4€ and other over 1€ pkw. Some even want to charge to connect the EHU lead... Luckily we invested in Lithium last year so not hooked up since Arnhem when it was included in the price. Lots of areas charge tourist tax which is fine but that has included free bus travel around the area for the duration of your stay so good value. We have avoided all the rip off places just as we would anywhere else in the world. Shop around for diesel and easy 1.65€ pl, petrol for the motorbike is more but don't need a lot of that. Lidl Food prices are about the same as home but wine and beer cheaper. Eating out can be expensive and not a lot of cafes we have found do "snacks" so hunted out bakeries that do simple cheese / ham etc rolls for 3€ ish each.
In summary... prefer the South to the North for scenery, shop around for food and overall blinking marvellous.
Another week or so to go and could happily stop longer if we had the time. Oh and used more cash on this trip than ever before...

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting, Living here we have noticed how much Things have gone up since the pandemic, the weekly shop has increased by 20% or so, eating out has become very expensive, an 8€ 🍕 is now 12-15€....beer and diesel are much the same , card use is widespread in Bayern, I rarely use cash in day to day transactions...
Now sitting on farm stellplatz near Kempten, it is the first time we have paid cash for a place in 3 years....

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Been in Germany for the last 3 weeks, landed at the Hook, went to Arnhem and as far East as Colditz. Then down most of the Romantic road to Füssen and now routing west. Lots of places / sites in the North / East still wanted cash and some only cash. Fuel stations and big shops card is no problem. A fantastic Stellaplaz in Rothenburg for 15€ pn and sites from 20 -45€ but lots of stuff "extra" especially in the popular area. "Booking fees" up to 5€, waste charge, environmental charge, and all charge for ehu, some at a flat rate of 4€ and other over 1€ pkw. Some even want to charge to connect the EHU lead... Luckily we invested in Lithium last year so not hooked up since Arnhem when it was included in the price. Lots of areas charge tourist tax which is fine but that has included free bus travel around the area for the duration of your stay so good value. We have avoided all the rip off places just as we would anywhere else in the world. Shop around for diesel and easy 1.65€ pl, petrol for the motorbike is more but don't need a lot of that. Lidl Food prices are about the same as home but wine and beer cheaper. Eating out can be expensive and not a lot of cafes we have found do "snacks" so hunted out bakeries that do simple cheese / ham etc rolls for 3€ ish each.
In summary... prefer the South to the North for scenery, shop around for food and overall blinking marvellous.
Another week or so to go and could happily stop longer if we had the time. Oh and used more cash on this trip than ever before...
Has the Rothenburg stellplatz P2 gone up €3 to €15🤷🏼‍♂️

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Yep, P2 is that price now but water still cheap at 10c for 10L. For the location we were happy to pay that. And the toilets were cleaned more times than I could count.... and I know that is sad but these things matter now 🤣🤣
Yeah thanks for that €12 last year, but Mrs Westy would make me pay double, nay triple that to stay there🤭 I put a euro in for some water last year and got about 5 litres after about 10 mins, I gave up🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back