Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
More choice, generally better locations, bigger choice of alternatives if the weather goes awry, better cyclepaths, better museums and pretty good chips :LOL:
We had great chips near Kirby Lonsdale whilst we stayed at a small CL and fantastic location
IMG_5548.jpeg

Similarly in Dumfries and Galloway..
IMG_5508.jpeg
IMG_5506.jpeg

So I think we will continue to boycott Germany… ::bigsmile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In contrast I love going to places which give me an excuse not to have to use them, I much prefer our facilities :giggle:

I would say most of the riverside SP's tend to have a decent amount of room around them, I can't think of one that is door to door but they probably do exist.
We find that most are now marked out in some way and give at least a couple of metres between vans,

IMG_2418.jpeg IMG_2640.jpegIMG_2626.jpeg

If it's not busy you get even more room of course,

IMG_2625.jpeg

and a view as well sometimes, all for €9,

IMG_2446.jpeg

All stellplatz and cost from €10 to €20 the €20 one had toilets and shower I think but not important to us, most of the stellplatz we use are because we want to be somewhere and usually there isn't a campsite anyway, we did use one campsite at €49 per night just because we wanted to be there, got there just after 12 so had to wait till 2pm to check in, scruffy little pitch under some trees but had a toilet block and shower which we looked at but didn't use, didn't even dump and fill as it was only two nights so not worth it, good value? no not really.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Cant remember the name, but it was directly under the zugspitze mountain (we could see the cable car from our pitch).
Around 70 euros and extra for leccy.

Lovely area though.

Graydo

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Cant remember the name, but it was directly under the zugspitze mountain (we could see the cable car from our pitch).
Around 70 euros and extra for leccy.

Lovely area though.

Graydo
Very touristic then, the whole region is generally expensive and not reflective on the rest of the country.
.....it's only an hour or so from home, so have never looked at prices...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We are back in Germany. We returned to the U.K. for a family wedding from France, after the wedding we headed to a THS in the Lakes. It rained for 3 days continuously. Booked the ferry, first time in 20 years. The tunnel wanted £189 and Irish Ferries wanted £69 so gave them a go and very impressed we were, to the extent the tunnel may have lost a customer. Anyway, a week or so in France then into Belgium where the temperatures hit 33 Degrees so sheltered on a Stellplatz for €10 a night inclusive of water, waste and 16amp electric. Both AC units ran continuously for almost 48 hours, so very little profit in that stay. We are now on the river in Dusseldorf, we just love Germany. We’re planning on returning to the U.K. end of August but who knows. We shall see how busy it gets, and I know it gets very busy.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Very touristic then, the whole region is generally expensive and not reflective on the rest of the country.
.....it's only an hour or so from home, so have never looked at prices...
I know, black forest was much more reasonable, especially around Wolfach.

Graydo

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
We are back in Germany. We returned to the U.K. for a family wedding from France, after the wedding we headed to a THS in the Lakes. It rained for 3 days continuously. Booked the ferry, first time in 20 years. The tunnel wanted £189 and Irish Ferries wanted £69 so gave them a go and very impressed we were, to the extent the tunnel may have lost a customer. Anyway, a week or so in France then into Belgium where the temperatures hit 33 Degrees so sheltered on a Stellplatz for €10 a night inclusive of water, waste and 16amp electric. Both AC units ran continuously for almost 48 hours, so very little profit in that stay. We are now on the river in Dusseldorf, we just love Germany. We’re planning on returning to the U.K. end of August but who knows. We shall see how busy it gets, and I know it gets very busy.
Did you leave the UK FROM Ireland?
I have two more Eurotunnels booked with Tesco vouchers but will be using ferries after that, as the long drive to Kent with a couple of stopovers (and full price eurotunnel) makes it unviable.

Graydo

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We had great chips near Kirby Lonsdale whilst we stayed at a small CL and fantastic location
View attachment 916159
Similarly in Dumfries and Galloway..
View attachment 916160View attachment 916161
So I think we will continue to boycott Germany… ::bigsmile:
The UK has some lovely spots. We have toured Scotland, Ireland, Wales as well as bits of England over the past 3 years.

However, there is an added excitement of visiting different European countries for the different cultures, food and general feel that they have. It's the experience of going to places that do things differently to the UK.

We've done France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia in the last 3 years too. It can be cheaper and easier for motorhomers too.

So by all means extol the virtues if the UK but don't dismiss the rest of the world.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

The Irish ferry we did from Calais to Dover earlier this week (Oscar Wilde) had a pet lounge too - for you dog lovers.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Did you leave the UK FROM Ireland?
I have two more Eurotunnels booked with Tesco vouchers but will be using ferries after that, as the long drive to Kent with a couple of stopovers (and full price eurotunnel) makes it unviable.

Graydo
No, the crossing was from Dover to Calais on the Oscar Wilde which is the larger of the 3 ferries. Boarding was very smooth and easy, lots of room around the van but service onboard was very bad. We did think about a breakfast to pass the time even at a cost of £17.50 each including a hot drink. We gave up after 10 minutes in the queue when we could hear the complaints from the second queue of those waiting to pay complaining the over priced breakfast was now cold as theystood for another 10 minutes to make payment.
I was there to cross, not to dine, so based on the boarding and debarkation process I was very impressed and would use them again.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
No, the crossing was from Dover to Calais on the Oscar Wilde which is the larger of the 3 ferries. Boarding was very smooth and easy, lots of room around the van but service onboard was very bad. We did think about a breakfast to pass the time even at a cost of £17.50 each including a hot drink. We gave up after 10 minutes in the queue when we could hear the complaints from the second queue of those waiting to pay complaining the over priced breakfast was now cold as theystood for another 10 minutes to make payment.
I was there to cross, not to dine, so based on the boarding and debarkation process I was very impressed and would use them again.

The crossing we went in was very empty. 6pm. We went on deck to enjoy the sun and watch the departure. By the time we went to the dining area they had virtually closed as there were no customers. We had planned on having a main meal. We went to the commercial drivers lounge and they were serving so the lady there served up a massive portion of Beef Bourgogne with chips and extra veg, took us down to the main restaurant, took the payment 17.50 pp including breads and a drink. Reasonable good value for the quality and quantity.

Disappointed they shut up the main restaurant so early without warning but excellent service from the lady in the drivers canteen.

Also worth being aware they have some excellent deals in duty free with an additional 10% off if you pre order online.

Got a nice bottle of Abolour whiskey. 1 Litre for less than £40 when a 75cl would be nearer £80 on the high street.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Ta,
we would still have the problem of driving to Dover with either ferry or tunnel.
Need to look at ferry options closer to Edinburgh.

Thanks

Graydo

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Ta,
we would still have the problem of driving to Dover with either ferry or tunnel.
Need to look at ferry options closer to Edinburgh.

Thanks

Graydo
Yes, I’m afraid that’s the price we pay for living in Edinburgh! We have used the Newcastle to Amsterdam route with DFDS a lot of times, but again they have become very expensive recently. Also the ferry is very tight for larger motorhomes they love to squeeze you on. Last time we crossed we had the misfortune of being placed right across an exit door. Everyone coming out that door was faced with my van about 3ft away, they then had the same space to squeeze down the side of my van which had me pulling my hair out when the less careful went past with suitcases and prams. But it was much easier than the drive to Dover. Recent fare check was coming in at 2.5k return 🤪We are both retired so have the time to travel to Dover now, just make the journey down part of the experience. Hull to Rotterdam are reasonably priced and the ferries much bigger, again you need to way up the cost against the drive and the time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I’m afraid that’s the price we pay for living in Edinburgh! We have used the Newcastle to Amsterdam route with DFDS a lot of times, but again they have become very expensive recently. Also the ferry is very tight for larger motorhomes they love to squeeze you on. Last time we crossed we had the misfortune of being placed right across an exit door. Everyone coming out that door was faced with my van about 3ft away, they then had the same space to squeeze down the side of my van which had me pulling my hair out when the less careful went past with suitcases and prams. But it was much easier than the drive to Dover. Recent fare check was coming in at 2.5k return 🤪We are both retired so have the time to travel to Dover now, just make the journey down part of the experience. Hull to Rotterdam are reasonably priced and the ferries much bigger, again you need to way up the cost against the drive and the time.
We did Hull Rotterdam (y) OK it was £900 with food both ways but still beats driving to Dover :LOL: and I think they parked us the same place as you last time we did the Newcastle ferry.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Its the price we pay for living in god's country 😁
Serously, 2.5 k! No chance.
I'm sure I priced this up from Hull and taking into consideration the mileage saved and the fact that we didnt stop in two campsites on the way down, the ferry won.

But not at those prices.

We are retired also, so like you say we will just make the drive down part of the holiday.

Graydo

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
No one needs to go anywhere.
Why bother reading this thread if you have no interest in going there?
Interesting you like D&G and the Borders which are a very similar landscape to big chunks of Germany.
Because I can……

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Don’t g
The UK has some lovely spots. We have toured Scotland, Ireland, Wales as well as bits of England over the past 3 years.

However, there is an added excitement of visiting different European countries for the different cultures, food and general feel that they have. It's the experience of going to places that do things differently to the UK.

We've done France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia in the last 3 years too. It can be cheaper and easier for motorhomers too.

So by all means extol the virtues if the UK but don't dismiss the rest of the world.
Don't me wrong.. I love and have been to many parts of Europe….. I just don’t like Germany or their cuisine…. (y)

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Its the price we pay for living in god's country 😁
Serously, 2.5 k! No chance.
I'm sure I priced this up from Hull and taking into consideration the mileage saved and the fact that we didnt stop in two campsites on the way down, the ferry won.

But not at those prices.

We are retired also, so like you say we will just make the drive down part of the holiday.

Graydo
We are going Newcastle to Ijmuiden with DFDS mid September to mid October. Ferry is £670 for basic cabin and standard motorhome. Meals and drinks obviously on top. Mind you as they breathalyse when getting off over there the drink will be very little.

you are looking roughly £350 for the tunnel plus you have to get there and back for us up north.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Where was the €10 stellplatz. We are entering Germany tomorrow, currently on an aire in Seltz, France, a short hop into Germany. It's @£12 inc EHU but water is extra, it's a camping car park aire.

IMG_20240628_130456.jpg

IMG_20240628_130415.jpg

IMG_20240628_130441.jpg

IMG_20240628_190032.jpg

IMG_20240628_190110.jpg

IMG_20240628_190046.jpg

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Where was the €10 stellplatz. We are entering Germany tomorrow, currently on an aire in Seltz, France, a short hop into Germany. It's @£12 inc EHU but water is extra, it's a camping car park aire.

View attachment 916442

View attachment 916443

View attachment 916444

View attachment 916445

View attachment 916449

View attachment 916446
It was before we entered Germany it’s in Belgium at Tournai

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Don’t g

Don't me wrong.. I love and have been to many parts of Europe….. I just don’t like Germany or their cuisine…. (y)

A week doing the Romantic route was a fabulous trip. Cuisine - well nothing particulary spectacular, but then neither is British!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
A week doing the Romantic route was a fabulous trip. Cuisine - well nothing particulary spectacular, but then neither is British!
Well if you live off fish and chips, then I agree British cuisine isn’t nothing special………

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We're currently on day 76 of our tour of Europe, and sitting at the Stellplatz in Rothenberg before heading in for breakfast.
We paid just under £300 for the North Shields to IJmuiden ferry in April, and are returning via Harwich next month for £200.

Our costs so far, including ferry crossing here, fuel, food, sites, clothing, laundry, gigs, museums etc, etc, have come in at £6800, approx £90 day

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We are currently on a municipal Stellplatz on the Moselle at Losnich. Great river side site at 14€ a night. 16amp electric hook up and water and waste all included. Been cycling for miles up through the vineyards and along the river.
We wild as much as possible but have no problems with these prices.
IMG_4298.jpeg
IMG_4319.jpeg
IMG_4331.jpeg

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996

View attachment 916442

View attachment 916443

View attachment 916444

View attachment 916445

View attachment 916449

View attachment 916446
We didn't pay extra for water when we were there last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back