Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Surely thanks to Simon and Garfunkel for the original and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Marsha Hunt and eventually Robson and Jerome? It's a song about longing to be home written by someone tired of touring so very apt for MHF . . .

Sorry. It's a quiet morning . . . . . .

My apologies ... You're quite right and I should really have given credit to all of them, but the Simon & Garfunkel and Robson & Jerome versions are my favourites.

Oh! ... plus I didn't have the time or inclination to post a full historical biography of the song. :whistle2: :LOL:

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Problem with a lot of uk campsites is they are in the middle of nowhere, ok if that's what you want, but we like to be near a town for pubs, restaurants etc.
Precisely why Im more than happy to stay in an aire / car park / etc. For me it's about the access to places especially as the wife's mobility is limited. I've often quoted Glasgow car park, 18 quid a night, no facilities at all, BUT half a mile from the town centre, shopping, eating and drinking. We're both happy!
Though campsite wise I have paid through the nose for Keswick not long ago, about Ā£60 for one night, but again, less than half a mile from a town we both enjoy so, while it stung a little, we still had a damn good day / night.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Simple solution is for motorhome spaces in large car parks that are 6m+ apart, key then is enforcement, both of proper use by motorhomers and the misuse of spaces by cars parking in them.
All Gloucester Old Spots ready for take-off. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
How bizzare that people don't use their expensive investments to it's full potential.
I do. And many times that includes the awning, outdoor table and chairs, windbreaks if itā€™s windy, BBQ. So sometimes that dictates where I stay. Wherever we stay, Iā€™ll use the shower and toilet on board.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I do. And many times that includes the awning, outdoor table and chairs, windbreaks if itā€™s windy, BBQ. So sometimes that dictates where I stay. Wherever we stay, Iā€™ll use the shower and toilet on board.
I have quite often mused whether some M/H owners have rooms, or even whole floors of their houses they never use instead living in just one room of it?
Mike.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Completely lost me on that one.... :unsure: :unsure:
1723056567094.png

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Maybe more than one but not many .
Find it hard to believe you are being serious . But , if you are , it seems like an awful waste of money
Lay-bys and car parks have no appeal for us. Can understand if you spent all your money on the motorhome.
We prefer the security, space and full size bathroom facilities offered by the campsites we visit.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I have quite often mused whether some M/H owners have rooms, or even whole floors of their houses they never use instead living in just one room of it?
Mike.
Well, I downsized from a 4-bedroom house, double garage etc to a small flat. I use all of the facilities I now have, at home and in my motorhome. When it suits me I also make use of ā€œcommunal facilitiesā€ available in both situations.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lay-bys and car parks have no appeal for us. Can understand if you spent all your money on the motorhome.
We prefer the security, space and full size bathroom facilities offered by the campsites we visit.
I don't think anyone spends their holidays in car parks and lay-bys. They're handy to spend the night en route to somewhere more attractive. But overnights (and days) spent in a quiet location in pleasant surroundings is to many an excellent way to holiday. It also makes full use of the motorhome. We regularly drive until tired, stop wherever possible, then continue to our destination. And that may be a quiet location researched in advance or indeed a site where we often meet with friends. Wherever we are we use the facilities in the motorhome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sandsend is nice and I've parked there overnight but....... I dont park near to the houses/toilet because I dont need to, I arrive in the evening and leave early morning and never in the school holidays. If I'm going to treat myself to a meal in the pub the extra few hundred yards I have to walk means I have earned my pint.
I'm sure there are some motorhomes parked there now, along with all the stealth campers, that have been there over a week šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø and will be there probably a few more
And that is just the problem. The people taking it too far spoil it for everyone else because to the public a motorhome is a motorhome all the owners are seen as being the same

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Your choice of facilities is fine.

But please do not put around the idea that 'off-grid', 'wildcamping' or what you wish to call, it means one is confined to laybys and CPs.

We have found magnificent spots, from a view of the Cuillins of Skye to having a selection of beach spots in Greece including an island where we were the only MH with choice of 5 beaches and where there are no campsites.

Maybe you do not even venture onto some of the beautiful Aires and Stellplatz offered in France and Germany. Pity.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lay-bys and car parks have no appeal for us.
What's wrong with a car park if it is where you want to be, next to a lovely view etc? We're currently at Stranraer next to the Lifeboats building in a small parking area, the beach is about 10ft away and we've got lovely views of the old ferry port area which is now used for leisure so I have been watching the various water craft activities this afternoon sitting on the beach. Yesterday we were in a grassed parking area right next to the beach, beautiful. Car parks aren't always just concrete or tarmacked areas with nothing to see. We've got a lot more stops planned for the rest of this month in Scotland and none of them are on campsites.

Can understand if you spent all your money on the motorhome.
We could easily afford to use expensive campsites if we wanted but we simply prefer not to be regimented and being ogled by curtain twitching campers. We much prefer the freedom our 'off site' parking gives us.

Which is your choice and I certainly wouldn't criticise you for that. It leaves more places available for us to use just as our non-use of campsites leave more availability for you. Win, win! šŸ˜ƒ

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I don't think anyone spends their holidays in car parks and lay-bys. They're handy to spend the night en route to somewhere more attractive. But overnights (and days) spent in a quiet location in pleasant surroundings is to many an excellent way to holiday. It also makes full use of the motorhome. We regularly drive until tired, stop wherever possible, then continue to our destination. And that may be a quiet location researched in advance or indeed a site where we often meet with friends. Wherever we are we use the facilities in the motorhome.
Thankyou for the reply.
Do you stay on campsites at your destination or do you just tour.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Your choice of facilities is fine.

But please do not put around the idea that 'off-grid', 'wildcamping' or what you wish to call, it means one is confined to laybys and CPs.

We have found magnificent spots, from a view of the Cuillins of Skye to having a selection of beach spots in Greece including an island where we were the only MH with choice of 5 beaches and where there are no campsites.

Maybe you do not even venture onto some of the beautiful Aires and Stellplatz offered in France and Germany. Pity.
Thank you for reply.
Yes Skye has some wonderful sights, Seen them many times.First camping abroad holidays 66 years ago and continuing.
We know what we prefer.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
What's wrong with a car park if it is where you want to be, next to a lovely view etc? We're currently at Stranraer next to the Lifeboats building in a small parking area, the beach is about 10ft away and we've got lovely views of the old ferry port area which is now used for leisure so I have been watching the various water craft activities this afternoon sitting on the beach. Yesterday we were in a grassed parking area right next to the beach, beautiful. Car parks aren't always just concrete or tarmacked areas with nothing to see. We've got a lot more stops planned for the rest of this month in Scotland and none of them are on campsites.

We could easily afford to use expensive campsites if we wanted but we simply prefer not to be regimented and being ogled by curtain twitching campers. We much prefer the freedom our 'off site' parking gives us.

Which is your choice and I certainly wouldn't criticise you for that. It leaves more places available for us to use just as our non-use of campsites leave more availability for you. Win, win! šŸ˜ƒ
Good for you.
Thankyou.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I was in that area only last week Melā€¦šŸ˜Ž

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Yep in france its called an aire,šŸ˜„.Been working there for decades, but might not work here with the self entitled me me me brigade, will prob need strict enforcement for it to work in uk.
Or French Police?

Whatever happened to Water Cannons, did Human Rights legislation outlaw it's used? šŸ¤”

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I think the problem is some people are hence this post. Rather than staying a night or 2 in a place they are there for the summer and setting up camp spoiling it for those who just stop the night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back