Carthago hab panel displays low battery 10v but shunt reading over 13v. Solar readings similar. Where to check next ?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Pleased my little van has a nice simple version that doesn't appear to suffer these thoughts.

Gone & done it now that's put the mockers on it. 😭

CBE electrics really aren't fit for purpose, Electroblock systems may have their faults but a least they work most of the time.
So what panels are they now fitting ?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If your on about the big red switch you need to check the back studs for voltage or just bridge it for a temporary check

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
What do you mean by isolators? These, well my new one is a Victron one and the original carthago one which is similar'ish.

1728295819545.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Ok, so have just had over half an hour on the phone with Roger Ivy. He has talked me through various checks. We have established that we have 12.83v at each point from battery thru my new victron isolator and at the existing carthago isolator, but WHEN the CBE is turned on ( regardless of any load ) the B2 to GND show 10.4v. So the issue is from the Carthago isolator to the distribution board... all original, nothing i have touched on that as yet other than remove the CBE522 charger.
So thoughts on how to attack the wiring ? These "out" cables seem to be on everyone's agenda, but what next to test to find where the voltage drop is ?
As said, if the CBE panel is OFF then the B2 to GND shows 12.83 but when I turn it on it drops to 10.4v ( or thereabouts ).
Ideas ?
Thats going in the right way!

What I would do is remove (tape them so no chance of a nasty spark) the B1, all but the original GND connection, all on the Out connection, and the yellow cable with red crimp (D+?) spade then test B2 to GND. if it is still low, then I would go back along the GND cable to wherever that is connected to your busbar, or to the chassis, and then the positive, somewhere along those there must be a dodgy connection/fuse, even of it looks good and passes a continuity check a fuse may not work well if there's any current....

If b2 to GND is correct with the other cables disconnected ie12.83v, then I would put back the other connections one by one checking each time, and disconnecting after the test, ie test each connection on its own, to see if one reintroduced the CBE under-read

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
Thats going in the right way!

What I would do is remove (tape them so no chance of a nasty spark) the B1, all but the original GND connection, all on the Out connection, and the yellow cable with red crimp (D+?) spade then test B2 to GND. if it is still low, then I would go back along the GND cable to wherever that is connected to your busbar, or to the chassis, and then the positive, somewhere along those there must be a dodgy connection/fuse, even of it looks good and passes a continuity check a fuse may not work well if there's any current....

If b2 to GND is correct with the other cables disconnected ie12.83v, then I would put back the other connections one by one checking each time, and disconnecting after the test, ie test each connection on its own, to see if one reintroduced the CBE under-read
Should I disconnect the B1 in the engine bay ? Or just the negative or leave it connected ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I would just disconnect B1 in the DS Box, whip the fuse out for safety by all means. The B1 terminal itself should then read 0V with the engine off, and solar/ehu turned off. Your panel light should turn red to warn you the cab battery is low! If B1 to GND comes up with the leisure battery voltage, then as Autorouter said a while back the relay in the DS may be permanently stuck.

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
I would just disconnect B1 in the DS Box, whip the fuse out for safety by all means. The B1 terminal itself should then read 0V with the engine off, and solar/ehu turned off. Your panel light should turn red to warn you the cab battery is low! If B1 to GND comes up with the leisure battery voltage, then as Autorouter said a while back the relay in the DS may be permanently stuck.
The fuse in the engine bay ( if so which one ) or which fuse in the DS470 ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the voltage at the leisure battery terminals is 12.83V, and the voltage between the GND and B2 terminals is 12.5V, then you can start the investigation by finding whether the voltage drop is along the positive wire or the negative (earth) wire.

To do this, measure the voltage between the battery negative terminal and the B2 terminal. If it's 12.5V then the fault is somewhere along the positive wire, if it's 12.83V then the positive wire is OK.

Then measure the voltage between the battery positive terminal and the GND terminal. If it's 12.5V then the fault is somewhere along the negative wire, if it's 12.83V then the negative wire is OK.

When you have found which wire is the problem, you can work your way from the battery to the DS box, looking at all the joins. For example, if the negative wire is the problem, measure between the positive battery terminal and each joint of the negative wire, starting at the battery. Somewhere the voltage will change from 12.83V to 12.5V, and that's where the fault is.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Only cheap crap in a CompactLine.

View attachment 961668
Haha - I would love to chuck the CBE DS and panel out, and replace them with something from Victron/Mastervolt et al, but it would cost a fortune, and possibly gain little, cant believe your panel costs any less than mine, probably just different to justify the more expensive vans being more expensive! Only thing I can see is the duo c control which is functionality included in my panel, and was the only bit that didn't work, so the panel was replaced!

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
A quick test to see if the split charge relay has stuck closed is to measure the voltages on the B1 and B2 terminals. If they are always the same, something is connecting them, possibly the relay stuck closed. If they are different, the relay is not stuck closed.
If it is stuck closed ( not determined that as yet ) how do I unstick it ? Or is that not a serviceable item and means a new motherboard ?

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
If the voltage at the leisure battery terminals is 12.83V, and the voltage between the GND and B2 terminals is 12.5V, then you can start the investigation by finding whether the voltage drop is along the positive wire or the negative (earth) wire.

To do this, measure the voltage between the battery negative terminal and the B2 terminal. If it's 12.5V then the fault is somewhere along the positive wire, if it's 12.83V then the positive wire is OK.

Then measure the voltage between the battery positive terminal and the GND terminal. If it's 12.5V then the fault is somewhere along the negative wire, if it's 12.83V then the negative wire is OK.

When you have found which wire is the problem, you can work your way from the battery to the DS box, looking at all the joins. For example, if the negative wire is the problem, measure between the positive battery terminal and each joint of the negative wire, starting at the battery. Somewhere the voltage will change from 12.83V to 12.5V, and that's where the fault is.
Negative to B2 is 12.5
Positive to GND is 12.8

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
If it is stuck closed ( not determined that as yet ) how do I unstick it ? Or is that not a serviceable item and means a new motherboard ?
Well then a repair shop could just replace the relay for you, then when its working again you will disable it! See what the tests say first. I couldn't possibly say that in your position I might be tempted to just cut into it and remove the contacts, since it would need replacing if ever it was to be used again, because that sounds very unprofessional, and I would be flamed!

But I think you will find the issue if you continue along Autorouters path.....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's replaceable by someone who has a basic competence in soldering components to circuit boards. The split charge relay is that big square black thing with the green circle on it, near the B1 and OUT terminals. Someone like Apuljack Electronics could do it easily, and they would probably also test the board to see if anything else needed fixing.
But as AdrianChen reminded me, you want to disable the relay anyway. Removing it is the easy bit, the hard part is finding the exact replacement relay and fitting it. And as he says, you could just take a big pair of pliers/cutters to it, and remove all the working bits leaving only the terminals soldered into the board. You wouldn't be the first to do that, I'm sure. Disconnect the B1, B2 and OUT wires before you do that, obviously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
It's replaceable by someone who has a basic competence in soldering components to circuit boards. The split charge relay is that big square black thing with the green circle on it, near the B1 and OUT terminals. Someone like Apuljack Electronics could do it easily, and they would probably also test the board to see if anything else needed fixing.
But as AdrianChen reminded me, you want to disable the relay anyway. Removing it is the easy bit, the hard part is finding the exact replacement relay and fitting it. And as he says, you could just take a big pair of pliers/cutters to it, and remove all the working bits leaving only the terminals soldered into the board. You wouldn't be the first to do that, I'm sure. Disconnect the B1, B2 and OUT wires before you do that, obviously.
AdrianChen
So, have disconnected Engine battery.
Removed the 2 unknown “out” cables and now B2 to Neg is 12.8 And GND to Positive is 12.8

What now ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back