LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's equivalent to me refusing to pay to use my local swimming pool because I've paid my council tax. Problem is there's not enough money in local authority/Marie budgets to give free use. French authorities spend mega amounts on floral displays, street furniture, fancy roundabouts and advertising banners. So saving money on aire maintenance is necessary to fund their higher priority flower beds 😆😆. It's all about budgets (or lack of them) as usual.
Not quite true Aires we're provided as free stopovers for Motorhomes as they were not allowed on campsites. A lot of the French still see this as their right and are not happy it's been taken away from them. That is why a lot of them scarper before the guy comes round to collect the money in the morning.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Not quite the same, it's not a law that councils have got to provide free swimming.
Your right. The only leisure service that Councils must provide is Libraries. All the rest, leisure centres, theatres, football pitches and playgrounds etc are "non statutary" i.e. at the discretion of the councillors. That's why councils here are closing swimming pools in particular, enormously expensive to run.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Your right. The only leisure service that Councils must provide is Libraries. All the rest, leisure centres, theatres, football pitches and playgrounds etc are "non statutary" i.e. at the discretion of the councillors. That's why councils here are closing swimming pools in particular, enormously expensive to run.
In France it used to be that every commune provided an aire and the people were taxed on it, which in turn allowed them to park in other communes , so everyone benifited but now I don't know if it still applies or even if they do still pay even though these new things aren't free anymore.
Which incedentily wasn't for our benifit but we just used them the same as the french, and hopefully spent money in the village.
But now the shops in the villages are all closeing so you can't spend a lot there if you want to,so it's all a bit of a puzzle really.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If in fact it does die out completely it will be a big shame, as the days when you could just draw into a village and park up either a playing field, a bit of rough ground by the river, cemetery car park , back of the Marie or whatever, will be lost forever and it was enjoyment in itself just to find these things, all lost with cards and barriers and apps and planning.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
If in fact it does die out completely it will be a big shame, as the days when you could just draw into a village and park up either a playing field, a bit of rough ground by the river, cemetery car park , back of the Marie or whatever, will be lost forever and it was enjoyment in itself just to find these things, all lost with cards and barriers and apps and planning.:(
Yes but I'd rather have somewhere to park overnight than nowhere. The French authorities seem happy to grant building permission on the aires that are in good residential positions.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I just wonder how these sites sit in the old law of the country of France,whereby it was once law that every village of any size were bound to provide an aire for motorhome travelers and if they didn't you could park at the Marie.
Is this still a law or not.
This is in fact what gets the french worked up about having to pay as they reckon they have already paid in their taxes.

I don't know the answer to your question. I thought that in France it is legal to park a MH anywhere on a public road, Aire, or car park overnight where there isn't a specific restriction or required payment, as long as you aren't actually "camping" with tables, chairs, BBQ and awning spread out. Multiple days on the same spot may be illegal if it becomes "abusif". FLTs who try to stay for a fortnight for free may get attention from the local Gendarmes.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I parked in those places in a aclass hymer Chas, I’ll be doing it even more now in the pvc….😎

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Not quite true Aires we're provided as free stopovers for Motorhomes as they were not allowed on campsites. A lot of the French still see this as their right and are not happy it's been taken away from them. That is why a lot of them scarper before the guy comes round to collect the money in the morning.
Its a Frenchman's Napoleonic right to sleep in his motorhome whereever he wants unless there are at least 4 signs up saying "No motorhomes overnight" then "Strictly no motorhomes overnight" then "Honestly we mean the previous 2 signposts" and then "We will ticket you if you park overnight in your motorhome" and then the French moan that they get a ticket and thought the signs were a joke.

A story told to me by a frenchman when he parked at the Pont De L'Arche having learnt his English in Glasgow !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back