Campaign to Exempt Motorhomes from LEZ Charges (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
B
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Nobody has mentioned that one UK city, I think Newcastle-upon-Tyne, does exempt Motor Caravans.

So an exemption is possible.
I didn’t know that. So it’s even easier now, all we are asking for is an extension of an existing exemption!! Do you think we can get the relevant Newcastle authority to champion it on our behalf?

I’ll check it out.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine's 2016 and Euro 5
It has nothing to do with "year registered" it is just easier for tfl using anpr and why some euro 5 are exempt.
There is actually a NOx figure which ,if you are below, means you are exempt regardless of the year.
There is a man who has obtained a C oC from his manufacturer that shows his NzOx reading is lower than khan's requirement and therfore is exempt .vehicle is 2006 if I recall correctly.
Are you suggesting that ‘natural selection’ covers ignoring poisonous gases produced by vehicles?
No ,I'm saying if you've a breathing problem with whatever is in the air anywhere you should not be offered any type of assistance. I.e, you'll eventually die.
In people's garages locked away and tucked up until there is a car rally/show somewhere on a nice sunny day in the summer. They won't be used on a daily basis - hence the exemption from tax and other restrictions.
They will if the person has any sense as they attract no "benefit in kind" . You pay no tax using as a company car.
what would have been your proposed solution to the problem?
Nothing.
it would be very interesting to know the actual profit margin it is making.
I doubt any as even when the Khan is bailed out he ring fences 25% for rubber boat housing for his mates.
Why does it have to come down to charging, if your vehicle is not compliant with their criteria then it’s banned from the area, job sorted.
This^^^^^^^^^
If a trades person who may have a well maintained van that inputs big time to the economy provides a job or jobs can’t.
It is all tax deductible. If you can't lose 12 50/day out of profit you're doing something wrong
Couldn’t you have just parked up it is a MoHo after all had a cup of tea made a sarni etc.
As soon as you are diverted off at any junction ,when travelling anti clockwise , you immediately have to either pay if possible, or are fined. There is no leeway.
The "fines" bear no relationship to the actual daily cost.
No democratically elected government would survive long
The ulez was not introduced "democratically " so why would anyone worry about the health of politicians?

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
I was going to mention Newcastle but see somebody already has! Got my permit (free!), for my Euro 5 ‘motor caravan’ which lasts for 20 years. Will see me out (if not the van!) at that!

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I'm fine with motorhomes being kept out of city centres, pollution is pollution. A good motorhome friendly park and ride would be good though. Maybe double down and make it an aire?
If "Polution is Polution" as you say, why do you use your motorhome at all. Surely no matter where you drive you are polluting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Because I'm a city, you're affecting far more people. And more vehicles also adds to the concentration.
But as "Polution is Polution" is it as long as it only effects a town but not a city. Is Polution measured in how many people are affected?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you fail to follow the rules, you pay. Sounds like a fine to me.
Where else are you actively encouraged to pay the “ Fine” in advance for anything, before you’ve committed the offence?
You can even set up auto pay to pay in advance if you’ve plenty of brass and a repeat offender🤣

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Where else are you actively encouraged to pay the “ Fine” in advance for anything, before you’ve committed the offence?
You can even set up auto pay to pay in advance if you’ve plenty of brass and a repeat offender🤣
You pay on the day. Why does it make any difference when you pay?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You pay on the day. Why does it make any difference when you pay?
Because it’s encouraging people with plenty of brass to do it, set up auto pay if you want, it’s a disgraceful money making racket, it’s no problem to drive through the LEZ if you want, just set up auto pay and pollute away.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Because it’s encouraging people with plenty of brass to do it, set up auto pay if you want, it’s a disgraceful money making racket, it’s no problem to drive through the LEZ if you want, just set up auto pay and pollute away.
Plenty of well off people treat parking the same way. Park on double yellows and pay the fine if they get one.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Plenty of well off people treat parking the same way. Park on double yellows and pay the fine if they get one.
But you aren’t encouraged to pay in advance for parking on double yellow lines, there’s not a website where you can go on, decide which double yellow lines you want to park on, then pay in advance for doing so.
You also can’t set up “ Auto Pay” for parking on double yellow lines. Totally different.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
But you aren’t encouraged to pay in advance for parking on double yellow lines, there’s not a website where you can go on, decide which double yellow lines you want to park on, then pay in advance for doing so.
You also can’t set up “ Auto Pay” for parking on double yellow lines. Totally different.
London has auto pay for the ULEZ. But pretty much everywhere else, you can only pay the fine (their language) manually.

Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Unfortunately the exact opposite Gus, my 3900 kg MH will cost me £200 a day to use in ULEZ,

I am 200 yds inside the expanded Zone but with 32 cameras within 2 miles of me it’s impossible to move without paying,
So I’m forced to park outside the zone and pay for that privilege,
I’m in the same boat, 0.5 miles inside with 6 camera I can’t avoid, easy £200 for him 🙄

Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Yes, agree, so the ULEZ is fairly blatantly a cash raising exercise.
Best thing to do is if you have to go into a London emissions zone, is don't use your MH.

But why would you want to? Go to Europe where you are loved, rather than stay in UK where you are loathed.
I live within one so difficult to avoid 😕

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
London has auto pay for the ULEZ. But pretty much everywhere else, you can only pay the fine (their language) manually.

I was laughing like a drain during that period when certain public-spirited people in certain London Boroughs were painting lenses or angle grinding cameras down. Proper French style.

Wish it would start up again.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I live within one so difficult to avoid 😕

Genuine sympathies. I escaped London to Kent, about twenty years ago. Best thing I ever did. I hate London. Dirty, smelly, overpriced, rude, multicultural and violent. Round where I live, if someone breaks into a shed, it is front page news for days. In London (ten miles from me) a stabbing may not even be reported on, unless fatal.

I didn't need ULEZ as an incentive to stay out of London.

Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Genuine sympathies. I escaped London to Kent, about twenty years ago. Best thing I ever did. I hate London. Dirty, smelly, overpriced, rude, multicultural and violent. Round where I live, if someone breaks into a shed, it is front page news for days. In London (ten miles from me) a stabbing may not even be reported on, unless fatal.

I didn't need ULEZ as an incentive to stay out of London.
Sadly that’s true! Will definitely be moving out and that times not far away 👍

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Beats me why anyone would venture into an emission zone in a motorhome unless you live in such a zone.
I would circumnavigate such a zone to avoid going where I'm clearly not wanted.

I get that, but I'm a Contrarian Bugger ..... I sometimes like to venture into them in my 1998 Mk5 Tardis or my Euro-4 Doblo mainly just to see who I can wind-up/annoy as I like to monkey with the arrogant barstewards, and I have never paid yet. :LOL: :reel:

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
People tried this with the London LEZ. It didn't work then and I can't see it working now.
Yes they did but this is different we are talking about motorhomes only
What we need is people power it can be done
But I have to be honest we have LEZ all around us and have decided to move away
We are Still happy to sign a petition

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Yes they did but this is different we are talking about motorhomes only
What we need is people power it can be done
But I have to be honest we have LEZ all around us and have decided to move away
We are Still happy to sign a petition
If you think people power is going to help you might need to think again. There are fewer than 250,000 motorhomes in the UK but 3,700,000 people who suffer from respiratory conditions. I love motorhoming but we need to get real, our leisure activity is not that popular with the wider public. People power might well come down against us. Sometimes it better to keep your head down.

OP
OP
B
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
If you think people power is going to help you might need to think again. There are fewer than 250,000 motorhomes in the UK but 3,700,000 people who suffer from respiratory conditions. I love motorhoming but we need to get real, our leisure activity is not that popular with the wider public. People power might well come down against us. Sometimes it better to keep your head down.
I think you are looking at the problem the wrong way up. The fact is that we are a misunderstood Minority Leisure Activity group with a wealth of proven heath and mental health benefits. This must work in our favour!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think you are looking at the problem the wrong way up. The fact is that we are a misunderstood Minority Leisure Activity group with a wealth of proven heath and mental health benefits. This must work in our favour!
It'd be healthier if we left the van at the park and ride. Or cycled in from the campsite that's 5 miles out of town.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back