CAMC and No EHU... Are They Starting To Listen?? (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Chatting to a warden recently.

They would love to go to all metered supplies, but its a big investment to do so.
I'd rather know exactly how much I'm paying per night, though. Probably stems from being a single parent years ago, and having to budget to the n'th degree. You never know what the meters are set at, and sometimes they're not the accurate. Up to the site to set the meter rate, so theoretically they can set what they like

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I'd rather know exactly how much I'm paying per night, though. Probably stems from being a single parent years ago, and having to budget to the n'th degree. You never know what the meters are set at, and sometimes they're not the accurate. Up to the site to set the meter rate, so theoretically they can set what they like
Don't know if it's been altered but when we had the site it was not allowed to charge more per unit than cost price if metered.Did leave the option to charge per day for effectively standing for use of our infrastructure then price per kWh...at the time many site owners were not aware of this

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
At £4 off for leccy there not listening!!
I dunno outside of summer some of the sites this on makes a site for 2 people "reasonable". We will still use CAMC in the shoulder months now this discount works.

It's still not comparible with the CACC silly cheap pitches though, peak season we'll be using the GRASS 40% off code as others mentioned. People really should ditch the EHU cables and go offgrid.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
This year I spent a week on a commercial site (early June) and the electric was metered. Basically you loaded a card at reception with whatever amount you wanted and then put in the EHU bollard. A refund was available at the end of the stay if appropriate. My cost was less than £1.00 a night - I loaded £15 on the card and got a refund of approx £13 - was there for 4 nights. I’m happy with this system and would like to see it available on more sites, including the 2 major clubs.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
This year I spent a week on a commercial site (early June) and the electric was metered. Basically you loaded a card at reception with whatever amount you wanted and then put in the EHU bollard. A refund was available at the end of the stay if appropriate. My cost was less than £1.00 a night - I loaded £15 on the card and got a refund of approx £13 - was there for 4 nights. I’m happy with this system and would like to see it available on more sites, including the 2 major clubs.
Sounds much the same as the campsite at Braemar. The system works well, and is fair - you just pay for what you use.
Not been to the Braemar campsite for a year, but they used to clearly show the electricity unit rate they were paying so customer knew they weren't being ripped off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Chatting to a warden recently.

They would love to go to all metered supplies, but its a big investment to do so.
Perhaps they should have a word with their own sites!

The Shingle Hall C&MHC CL site on Romney Marsh, Kent has had individual meters for years.
You get 8kw free per night as with your pitch booking and then 35p per KW thereafter.

Each bollard has a little meter like this, and you simply note the numbers at the beginning and end of your stay and pay the difference (if needed).
They seem to be available fairly widely for about £50, and I'm sure considerably less if you were buying in bulk.

1719833948998.png
T

As an aside:
8kw per night seems to be enough to run the lights, the fridge, the TV and even heat up a tank of water.

I think you would only go over that amount if you used the heating/air con, the hot plate, the kettle, and left the water heater on for several hours

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Perhaps they should have a word with their own sites!

The Shingle Hall C&MHC CL site on Romney Marsh, Kent has had individual meters for years.
You get 8kw free per night as with your pitch booking and then 35p per KW thereafter.

Each bollard has a little meter like this, and you simply note the numbers at the beginning and end of your stay and pay the difference (if needed).
They seem to be available fairly widely for about £50, and I'm sure considerably less if you were buying in bulk.

View attachment 917612T

As an aside:
8kw per night seems to be enough to run the lights, the fridge, the TV and even heat up a tank of water.

I think you would only go over that amount if you used the heating/air con, the hot plate, the kettle, and left the water heater on for several hours
Days gone by, yes. But now the price to get metered connections installed, has like all things hugely inflated.

Plus they struggle to get the correctly authorised sparks.

Mar 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
I bet they don't reduce the prices for the non electric pitches by as much as the electric actually costs:cautious:
Call me cynical, but the reason sites don’t want to stop charging for EHU is they make more money. The few times we been metered, it’s been a fraction of the cost….and no, we still used the same set up. Only my view, of course 🤷‍♂️.

OP
OP
poppycamper
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Call me cynical, but the reason sites don’t want to stop charging for EHU is they make more money. The few times we been metered, it’s been a fraction of the cost….and no, we still used the same set up. Only my view, of course 🤷‍♂️.
100%👍👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back