Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Has anyone over 70 renewed their C1 licence recently? I'm keen to know how long you had to wait for the new licence, as we go to Morocco in winter and I can only commence the process 3 months before the old one expires which would mean applying in January.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The doctor in charge of the test didnt give me any indication one way or another only saying that the DVLA will make up their own minds when they got the results. I did get through the whole test and heart rate was well under the max they look for. Maybe I should have pressed him further!
Slightly different circumstances because you can still use your licence whilst awaiting renewal. I was also looking for medical confirmation so that I could use mine.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
Had my D4D medical test last Wednesday, sent my old licence and paperwork with a special delivery return envelope last Thursday and presto my new licence arrived this morning, excellent service I think.
Hi Rob, I'm in the process of renewing my C1. I've got my D2/D4 ready to send to DVLA. Can I ask whether you provided a new photo with your D2 as the notes on the D2 document suggest that you need to provide a photo. I contacted the DVLA and they said that it is not required. Which post code did you use to send the documents to.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Rob, I'm in the process of renewing my C1. I've got my D2/D4 ready to send to DVLA. Can I ask whether you provided a new photo with your D2 as the notes on the D2 document suggest that you need to provide a photo. I contacted the DVLA and they said that it is not required. Which post code did you use to send the documents to.
You will need a new photo if you have less than 56 days left on your old licence. I think the address is on the form or on the notes that go with it.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
You will need a new photo if you have less than 56 days left on your old licence. I think the address is on the form or on the notes that go with it.
It's all very confusing. D2 notes say that you need it as I have 56 days left on my licence. Standard renewal (without C1) says you don't. I contacted DVLA today and they said I don't a need a new photo until 2029.

What did you do? Did you send a new photo with your D2 renewal application?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
It's all very confusing. D2 notes say that you need it as I have 56 days left on my licence. Standard renewal (without C1) says you don't. I contacted DVLA today and they said I don't a need a new photo until 2029.

What did you do? Did you send a new photo with your D2 renewal application?
I have renewed twice without a photo. Both times with more than 56 days remaining. Once you go below the 56 day mark you need a photo.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
All they require for sleep apnea is proof that you are on therapy and it is working for you, Resmed machines can interface with the Resmed My air app from which you can generate a sleep report, print that off and send it off with your D4/D2 and a covering letter. I got my C1 back in 10 days.
Have you seen the open source software for more detailed analysis?

I think it works for resmed as well (I have a Phillips Dreamstation.)

Completely agree with you, that if you are demonstrating compliance with the therapy (eg AHI < 3), there shouldn't be an issue with licence renewal.

I haven't got to that age yet, but reading in anticipation!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Have you seen the open source software for more detailed analysis?

I think it works for resmed as well (I have a Phillips Dreamstation.)

Completely agree with you, that if you are demonstrating compliance with the therapy (eg AHI < 3), there shouldn't be an issue with licence renewal.

I haven't got to that age yet, but reading in anticipation!
Yes Oscar works with Resmed. You can get your current AHI figures from Oscar for the D4 form.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Hi Antony, sorry for the late reply, yes I sent a new photo, post code is SA99 1BN

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I’m assuming you had to pay £17. After phoning DVLA asking if I needed one they told me no not until 2029
No nothing to pay at all, I suggest that you send via special delivery signed for and include a return addressed special delivery stamped envelope. Mine came back in less than a week.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
DO NOT send off your old licence
there are horror stories of people losing category entitlement from the new licence
I have always photocopied my licence and sent in the photocopy
If you dot it the other way around and send the original and keep a photo copy
and you have issues with lost entitlement the DVLA (who never admit to mistakes)
will not accept your phopto copy as proof on your original category of entitlements
Ditto. I never do send it back.

surely if you copy your original and keep it and send them the copy or send them the original and keep the copy it's the same thing ???
That would be the logical thing to do, wouldn't it? As above, DVLA will not accept a photocopy of your licence, as proof of lost category entitlements due to their negligence, so hang on to the original licence until the new one arrives, is checked over, and is deemed to be correct.

Don't send your old license back at all, I just wrote a covering letter saying that I needed to keep it for a trip to France, if your new one is correct when you get it back then destroy your old one, if they've missed out any categories take a photo of your old license and correspond using that photo, but keep hold of your old one.
Ditto again. I always send a covering letter, explaining why I have not included my licence with the renewal application.

Slightly different circumstances because you can still use your licence whilst awaiting renewal. I was also looking for medical confirmation so that I could use mine.
But not if travelling abroad. 4b on the front of the photocard licence clearly displays the licence expiry date, not the category validity date.

AnthonyA. If you have a current UK passport, enter your passport number in the box provided. This authorises DVLA to use that photo, should your application require a new one.

HTH,

Jock. ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Antony, sorry for the late reply, yes I sent a new photo, post code is SA99 1BN
Hi Rob, I sent my application on Thursday by Special Delivery. I checked my DVLA online account and the renewal has been processed today and will be sent out tomorrow. Excellent service. However I notice that it hasn't retained the anniversary of my expiry which was 3/10/2024. The new expiry is now 02/09/2027. Did this happen to you.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hi Rob, I sent my application on Thursday by Special Delivery. I checked my DVLA online account and the renewal has been processed today and will be sent out tomorrow. Excellent service. However I notice that it hasn't retained the anniversary of my expiry which was 3/10/2024. The new expiry is now 02/09/2027. Did this happen to you.
No the dates followed on exactly.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
It can happen if you are too eager, and send in your application a bit soon. ;)

I deliberately renewed mine 3 x months early, for my annual licence to not have expired whilst I was out of the UK. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003

I deliberately renewed mine 3 x months early, for my annual licence to not have expired whilst I was out of the UK. 👍

Cheers,

I have twice renewed mine at the first opportunity i.e. at the start of the 90 days without any change to the anniversary. It still runs to the day before my birthday. I have both times avoided sending a new photo and I am wondering if this makes a difference. New photo = new licence = new start date? Just a guess but adding a new photo means more processing by the DVLA so perhaps the old licence ceases to be part of the calculation.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
I have twice renewed mine at the first opportunity i.e. at the start of the 90 days without any change to the anniversary. It still runs to the day before my birthday. I have both times avoided sending a new photo and I am wondering if this makes a difference. New photo = new licence = new start date? Just a guess but adding a new photo means more processing by the DVLA so perhaps the old licence ceases to be part of the calculation.
My renewal was only 31 days from expiry and no new photo sent so the same scenario as yours. I will need to take this up with the DVLA.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010

Cheers,

So did you retain your anniversary or was the new expiry 3 years from the date it was issued.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My renewal was only 31 days from expiry and no new photo sent so the same scenario as yours. I will need to take this up with the DVLA.
Not really the same scenario because to avoid the need for a new photo you are supposed to have at least 56 days remaining on your expiring licence. I had more than 56 days and less than 90, a short window of 34 days when this applies. You were outside this window so either they made a mistake in your favour or perhaps used your passport to verify your identity.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So did you retain your anniversary or was the new expiry 3 years from the date it was issued.
Annually from the new date is was issued. Mine is for HGV & PSV, not C1, but the same medical and application procedure.

You were outside this window so either they made a mistake in your favour or perhaps used your passport to verify your identity.
I agree. (y)

Cheers,

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
Not really the same scenario because to avoid the need for a new photo you are supposed to have at least 56 days remaining on your expiring licence. I had more than 56 days and less than 90, a short window of 34 days when this applies. You were outside this window so either they made a mistake in your favour or perhaps used your passport to verify your identity.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the rules applied. I contacted the DVLA to ask if I needed a new photo as I was within the 56 days (30 days before expiry) and they assured me that there was no need for a new photo until October 2029. Which is 10 years from when my current licence was issued.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
How soon before your expiry did you send it in? What is your new expiry date?
The renewal was sent off on the 6 wks before it's expiry date, the dates the new licence starts the day after the expiry date , I was well pleased.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
The renewal was sent off on the 6 wks before it's expiry date, the dates the new licence starts the day after the expiry date , I was well pleased.
I will contact the DVLA tomorrow to query this. Did you send in your old licence with the application. I did which maybe the difference. Although I don't see why it should make a difference.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I will contact the DVLA tomorrow to query this. Did you send in your old licence with the application. I did which maybe the difference. Although I don't see why it should make a difference.
Yes I sent in my old licence, From reading a few posts on here it seems some did had discrepancies on dates, I suppose in the big scheme it's not a deal breaker.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
hi how do you check your dvla account

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I just got an email from D4D, anybody contemplating D4D for their medical can get a fiver off using the code MATESRATES, every little helps as they say :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back