Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Has anyone over 70 renewed their C1 licence recently? I'm keen to know how long you had to wait for the new licence, as we go to Morocco in winter and I can only commence the process 3 months before the old one expires which would mean applying in January.

Apr 24, 2019
Pocklington, York, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
10 years
I applied early (July) for my renewal so we could overwinter in Morocco 13 months later and still not had an answer. Have had some issues mainly prostate cancer that is being treated by Hormone therapy to reduce testosterone & PSA. The results are good but has left me with little stamina. Have failed the stress ECG twice managed 6 minutes but cardiologist satisfied with my heart. So hoping to receive my C1 renewal very soon. Question is, if DVLA decline to renew can this be appealed?????

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2009
Weymouth,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+
After sending in my medical forms for my C1/D1 last year and had to declare the use of a CPAP m/c for sleep apnea. Medical questionaire was sent to my GP. After a month or so of nothing I phoned medical branch at DVLA and they informed me they were waiting for reports from the GP. I then visited the surgery to see what was happening and they informed me that they had a waiting list of about 3months worth of forms to fill in for various places. I then asked them for the forms and took them to a private doctor to fill in. She had been filling in my D4 for a number of years for my class 2 hgv entitlement (having since handed that in) thats why the renewal of my C1/D1. After sending that in I had licence back in about 10 days. Its not all ways the fault of DVLA for delays, like mine it could all ways be the GP surgery acting slowly.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
Has anyone over 70 renewed their C1 licence recently? I'm keen to know how long you had to wait for the new licence, as we go to Morocco in winter and I can only commence the process 3 months before the old one expires which would mean applying in January.
Just got mine back it took them 8 weeks a friend sent there’s off in January and still waiting.The DVLA says if there is an age or medical condition the details have to go in front of the DVLA doctor.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
After sending in my medical forms for my C1/D1 last year and had to declare the use of a CPAP m/c for sleep apnea. Medical questionaire was sent to my GP. After a month or so of nothing I phoned medical branch at DVLA and they informed me they were waiting for reports from the GP. I then visited the surgery to see what was happening and they informed me that they had a waiting list of about 3months worth of forms to fill in for various places. I then asked them for the forms and took them to a private doctor to fill in. She had been filling in my D4 for a number of years for my class 2 hgv entitlement (having since handed that in) thats why the renewal of my C1/D1. After sending that in I had licence back in about 10 days. Its not all ways the fault of DVLA for delays, like mine it could all ways be the GP surgery acting slowly.
All they require for sleep apnea is proof that you are on therapy and it is working for you, Resmed machines can interface with the Resmed My air app from which you can generate a sleep report, print that off and send it off with your D4/D2 and a covering letter. I got my C1 back in 10 days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
My D2
I wrote quite a bit about getting my D1 licence last year if you go back through the topics. Basically 8 months and couldn't go on holiday last year as a result! D1 are for HGV and PSV and depending on the tonnage of your vehicle you may need to apply for your original rights to be maintained. You will need an eye medical, filled out by your optician and an ordinary medical filled out by your GP. The delay for me was primarily due to the DVLA doctors taking their time.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Sent my D2 form three weeks ago. Two weeks later, had a letter telling me to book a vision test with Specsavers as I have glaucoma in both eyes.
Had the vision test on Thursday - no problems identified with peripheral vision. Specsavers said they would send results same day to DVLA.
Now awaiting DVLA response.
As the van is rated at over 3.5 tons and the insurance, in my name, is due for renewal in September, I'm crossing my fingers that they'll be efficient. 🤞

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
They had my licence in Jan it's now Aug and still waiting for it back the last I heard was in JUNE where awaiting my Doctors reply... last time during covid it took 23 and a half months....

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I've just had the medical form D4 filled in, can anyone tell me do I need to send off my old driving licence.
Also what is the correct address to send the D4 form. Thanks.
DO NOT send off your old licence
there are horror stories of people losing category entitlement from the new licence
I have always photocopied my licence and sent in the photocopy
If you dot it the other way around and send the original and keep a photo copy
and you have issues with lost entitlement the DVLA (who never admit to mistakes)
will not accept your phopto copy as proof on your original category of entitlements

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I applied early (July) for my renewal so we could overwinter in Morocco 13 months later and still not had an answer. Have had some issues mainly prostate cancer that is being treated by Hormone therapy to reduce testosterone & PSA. The results are good but has left me with little stamina. Have failed the stress ECG twice managed 6 minutes but cardiologist satisfied with my heart. So hoping to receive my C1 renewal very soon. Question is, if DVLA decline to renew can this be appealed?????
Yes it can, with corroborating medical evidence (your GP and cardiologist)

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I renewed my C1E through https://d4drivers.uk/?msclkid=bbe9922f695517e23bccf4979774af54. Had the medical, they filled most of the paperwork, sent the application off on a Monday (recorded delivery), licence back by Friday! Can’t fault it…✅

Upvote 0

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Took 10 months for mine to come through as they kept moving the criteria. ( I had a stent fitted 16 year previously ) . In the end I downplated the mh back to 3500kg. The C1 came through a week after I had completed the downplating .

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
It took a couple of weeks mainly because there were no medical issues

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
DO NOT send off your old licence
there are horror stories of people losing category entitlement from the new licence
I have always photocopied my licence and sent in the photocopy
If you dot it the other way around and send the original and keep a photo copy
and you have issues with lost entitlement the DVLA (who never admit to mistakes)
will not accept your phopto copy as proof on your original category of entitlements
surely if you copy your original and keep it and send them the copy or send them the original and keep the copy it's the same thing ???

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
surely if you copy your original and keep it and send them the copy or send them the original and keep the copy it's the same thing ???
Don't send your old license back at all, I just wrote a covering letter saying that I needed to keep it for a trip to France, if your new one is correct when you get it back then destroy your old one, if they've missed out any categories take a photo of your old license and correspond using that photo, but keep hold of your old one.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
I renewed my C1E through https://d4drivers.uk/?msclkid=bbe9922f695517e23bccf4979774af54. Had the medical, they filled most of the paperwork, sent the application off on a Monday (recorded delivery), licence back by Friday! Can’t fault it…✅
That’s a quick turnaround. How long ago was this. I’m thinking of using D4Drivers but I have my concerns. Since they don’t have access to your medical records they are relying on the truthfulness of your answers. I believe that the DVLA can request confirmation from your GP if they feel the need to which would add delay to the application.

My understanding is that the only physical examination done is an eye test and blood pressure check.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
That’s a quick turnaround. How long ago was this. I’m thinking of using D4Drivers but I have my concerns. Since they don’t have access to your medical records they are relying on the truthfulness of your answers. I believe that the DVLA can request confirmation from your GP if they feel the need to which would add delay to the application.

My understanding is that the only physical examination done is an eye test and blood pressure check.
If you are seriously thinking of telling lies about your health to the D4D doctor then you should absolutely never be allowed to drive anything anywhere there since your insurance simply does not apply at any time where you have fibbed to get your licence. It wholly and entirely relies on your holding a valid licence to drive the vehicle you ask them to insure and the principle of uberrima fides (ie utmost good faith in modern English) by all parties throughout.

Of course you also have to pay the premium required by them but just because you have paid it does not change the law in this respect. You just have to hope like hell that every other driver is as honest as you - and to be perfectly truthful I'd like an instant sentence of HARD labour - or preferably the death penalty - for all uninsured drivers.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
If you are seriously thinking of telling lies about your health to the D4D doctor then you should absolutely never be allowed to drive anything anywhere there since your insurance simply does not apply at any time where you have fibbed to get your licence. It wholly and entirely relies on your holding a valid licence to drive the vehicle you ask them to insure and the principle of uberrima fides (ie utmost good faith in modern English) by all parties throughout.

Of course you also have to pay the premium required by them but just because you have paid it does not change the law in this respect. You just have to hope like hell that every other driver is as honest as you - and to be perfectly truthful I'd like an instant sentence of HARD labour - or preferably the death penalty - for all uninsured drivers.
I wasn’t implying that I would lie and would never give false information to get a licence. It was just a statement as to why D4Drivers medical can be valid as they don’t have access to your medical records and solely rely on your answers. I can’t believe that the DVLA accept this as a valid medical.

I will be going to my own GP for my medical where there can be no doubt about it’s validity.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
Well be prepared to a) wait ages to get the form completed and b) pay through the nose - used to be a price list on the noticeboard at our GP surgery, cost about £150 to have them do it. Hence why we both said let's price up 'this lot the Forum keep mentioning'. And the D4D Drs all have to stamp the forms and quote their BMA Registration numbers before signing the forms, so they ARE properly qualified and as such CAN and WILL cross examine the folk they see.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If DVLA are concerned about anything the D4D doctor has written then they will contact your GP anyway. This happened to Joe and the GP had no idea as he hasn't seen him for several years (he has seen other Drs but not our own). The GP just asked the questions on the form and Joe answered them for him to fill in before sending to DVLA.

Upvote 1
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
I called DVLA today as I looked on the gov website and my HGV has disappeared.

“Amber” said it was still going though and she could see my HGV entitlement
Other than that I would just have to wait it out.

As to the above D4 doc only knows what you tell them. The DVLA will contact your Doc and ask to confirm details.

Mine asked me to call in and read what they were going to send back. It was the same copies of what they sent last time.

So I’m happy to wait it out.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Had my D4D medical test last Wednesday, sent my old licence and paperwork with a special delivery return envelope last Thursday and presto my new licence arrived this morning, excellent service I think.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Had my treadmill test on 6th August. DVLA received results on the 14th and it got into their system on 20th. Now being looked at apparently so hopefully only a few weeks to conclude. Applied beginning of April.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I applied in April and as I have said I now have to take a stress test.
I had to take a DVLA stress test after a heart attack last year before I could drive my motorhome again. Once you are over 70 it is not just renewals that get tougher but the list of health problems you must report to the DVLA gets a lot longer too, if you keep your C1. I will let mine go at the next renewal.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I applied in April and as I have said I now have to take a stress test.
I took mine two weeks ago having trained up for it. At the test they said I had to hold onto the hand rails which made it much, much easier. They take your blood pressure at intervals too. Waiting for dvla to make their minds up.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I took mine two weeks ago having trained up for it. At the test they said I had to hold onto the hand rails which made it much, much easier. They take your blood pressure at intervals too. Waiting for dvla to make their minds up.
I was told by the Doctor I had met the DVLA standard at the time of the stress test. That was important to me because the DVLA advice is that after a heart attack/stent I needed a Doctors ok before using my C1. The B licence was subject to the normal lower level restrictions.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was told by the Doctor I had met the DVLA standard at the time of the stress test. That was important to me because the DVLA advice is that after a heart attack/stent I needed a Doctors ok before using my C1. The B licence was subject to the normal lower level restrictions.
The doctor in charge of the test didnt give me any indication one way or another only saying that the DVLA will make up their own minds when they got the results. I did get through the whole test and heart rate was well under the max they look for. Maybe I should have pressed him further!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back