Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Has anyone over 70 renewed their C1 licence recently? I'm keen to know how long you had to wait for the new licence, as we go to Morocco in winter and I can only commence the process 3 months before the old one expires which would mean applying in January.

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
Do the d4 in December, then fill out the D2 and as soon as you`re within 3 months of expiry send off to DVLA. Should get back within a week, 2 at most

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Just renewed my heavy goods with some minor medical declarations and medications. They received it on the Wednesday and printed the new license on the next Monday. Nine days from posting to receiving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I've just had the medical form D4 filled in, can anyone tell me do I need to send off my old driving licence.
Also what is the correct address to send the D4 form. Thanks.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I've just had the medical form D4 filled in, can anyone tell me do I need to send off my old driving licence.
Also what is the correct address to send the D4 form. Thanks.
I think that information is on the D2 form that has to go with the D4. The D2/D4 pack normally has explanatory notes.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I think that information is on the D2 form that has to go with the D4. The D2/D4 pack normally has explanatory notes.
Ahh thanks for that I was just going to send my D4 form in with the renewal form D46. They don't make this easy do they.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I applied on January 9th, still haven't had my new licence.
I have a minor issue which I didn't think was a problem until I went for the medical.
Some people seem to get their licence quickly, others don't. It seems like pot luck.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I applied on January 9th, still haven't had my new licence.
I have a minor issue which I didn't think was a problem until I went for the medical.
Some people seem to get their licence quickly, others don't. It seems like pot luck.
Having medical conditions makes a big difference, especially if they have to write to Doctors and Consultants. It is one of the reasons I pay more for a GP D4, saves them writing letters. I am guessing but if it is a condition they feel they should have been notified about earlier it probably goes off on very long trails.

Have you chased it up?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The DVLA has rules about aortic aneurysms and they are much stricter for bus, coach and lorry licences. As soon as you are 70 the stricter rules apply to your C1 and the DVLA has to be notified.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
Hi franknjan - is your AAA being ultrasound scanned every 3 months by the NHS come what may including a Covid pandemic in my husband's case so any change is absolutely plotted and as soon as it hits the OK we can stent it now cos its big enough the vascular surgery team ready to get you on their list? Not sure whether Pete informed the DVLA other than mentioning it to the D4D Dr and telling him it was being monitored properly - last renewal was a couple of years ago and still not big enough then last Nov it suddenly was and the balls moved faster than a speeding bullet so first appt with Vascular team doc was between Xmas and New Year, following that all the pre-ops done and op due to happen early Feb but the weekend prior got a chest infection so he cancelled; rescheduled for 2nd April when they cancelled then a surprise appt to see the Main Man in July so both went to that - nobody wanted to give him a GA so the alternative was epidural did he still wish to proceed? Yes, still want to get it done so I can get on with my life please! - and he had it done this Tuesday! Kept him in so far and whinging about how sore his thigh is - people had told him it would be but he says he failed to grasp quite how painful they were trying to convey.

They WILL do it the moment it becomes whatsoever 'threatening' - and I fail to comprehend why DVLA cannot grasp that the worldwide medical profession have concretely proved that operating on them when they are not above a specific measurement in any direction, does not save ANY lives.

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Hi. Thanks for this.
My problem is not the main aortic artery, but the left iliac artery. It has always been 30.5 since it was picked up, the right is 28.
I had a scan 2 weeks ago, my scans are every 6mths.
I was worried when my licence was taking some time, but I've given up worrying now. I have tried chasing it up, the DVLA say it's being processed.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They WILL do it the moment it becomes whatsoever 'threatening' - and I fail to comprehend why DVLA cannot grasp that the worldwide medical profession have concretely proved that operating on them when they are not above a specific measurement in any direction, does not save ANY lives.
Their “medical team” are boneheaded to say the least. They seem to think that I should be dead of a brain tumour despite my doctors insistence that I am not and do not have one.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi. Thanks for this.
My problem is not the main aortic artery, but the left iliac artery. It has always been 30.5 since it was picked up, the right is 28.
I had a scan 2 weeks ago, my scans are every 6mths.
I was worried when my licence was taking some time, but I've given up worrying now. I have tried chasing it up, the DVLA say it's being processed.
That might be the problem, the DVLA measurements appear to be for aortic arteries rather than iliac ones.
When I asked my GP about driving after my heart attack he referred to this document which covers a lot of health conditions.
Worth remembering that the D4 is assessed against Group 2 requirements and the rules are a lot tougher than for Group 1 which is used for ordinary car licences. It is why we downsized to under 3500kg, I no longer want to jump through the Group 2 hoops.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I applied in early April (with heart issues that did not need any treatment) and have just done the stress ecg test this week. Report has to go to DVLA who will decide whether to give me my C1 back. The actual test was a bit of an anticlimax as I was able to hold on to the bar of the treadmill which makes it much easier!

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
That might be the problem, the DVLA measurements appear to be for aortic arteries rather than iliac ones.
You must tell DVLA if your aortic aneurysm is 6 centimetres or more in diameter despite treatment. You must not drive if your aortic aneurysm is 6.5 centimetres or more in diameter.

Sorry I should have said, my measurements are millimeters.
30.5mm as opposed to 28mm

Upvote 0
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
I had the operation for the Aortic artery in June 2022.
Only went into the hospital for what I thought was a routine scan, I could`nt believe it when the nurse said it was borderline at bursting point. I was in for the op within a month. I`d only ever been in hospital 3 times in my life before. Tonsils out at 5, Snip aged about 45, New knee 6-7 years ago.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Once your aaa reaches 6cm you must surrender your license
5.5 is the cut of time from having the scan to everything going into action to get a repair done.
Mine went from 4.3 to 5.5 in 1 year the nurses that did the scan said you are now in the system and everything should move quickly and she wasn’t kidding .
3 days later on a Saturday I hade a call from the surgeon who put me straight on blood thinners and had the repair completed within 2 months.
BUT my doctor filled in a medical that DVLA sent him they received it back on 18th April and they still haven’t looked at it as I phoned last week
Joe

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
You must tell DVLA if your aortic aneurysm is 6 centimetres or more in diameter despite treatment. You must not drive if your aortic aneurysm is 6.5 centimetres or more in diameter.
The must not drive limit is 5.5cm for a C1 licence if you are over 70 and you must notify the DVLA of an Aortic Aneurysm of any size.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
I believe if you apply over 53 days before expiry then it will not preserve the original expiry date. So your new expiry would be 3 years from the date it is processed. Under 53 days and your new expiry date would be 3 years from the original expiry. So you could end up losing a couple of months of the 3 years.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I believe if you apply over 53 days before expiry then it will not preserve the original expiry date. So your new expiry would be 3 years from the date it is processed. Under 53 days and your new expiry date would be 3 years from the original expiry. So you could end up losing a couple of months of the 3 years.
I kept my original expiry dates, both times I applied within the first 30 days of the 90 day period.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back