Brownhills inability to think straight ...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am going to play devils advocate here and suggest the reasoning behind the fee. Please note I have no idea why they would mention a leak and suggest an oil change. If the leak was minor they could have waited until you showed up to collect to notify you.

But onto the charge for the oil change. (my best guesses based on running companies for many years)

The vehicle has to be on a lift usually to perform the oil change. That ramp if being used by your vehicle cannot be used by any other vehicle. Hence the 1 hour charge.
They have to give a quote up front so they base it on worst case (on average) over all vehicles they perform services on. They probably charge by the one hour block for lift work as some jobs will run long and some will run short.
They will book 8 (slots) per day. If a job runs short they may at the end of the day have enough time left over to advance a job from the next days work. But they may also free up some time for a job that ran long. It is a balancing act.

As to why they didn't give you a discount on an oil change as you were already on this lift. That would open them up to arguments with customers. You in passing tell someone they did an oil change for £30 which was discounted due to you being on the lift.
They go to get theirs done and are charged the full £60 and they get into a stroppy argument about why they did it for someone else for £30 but not them? Sometimes keeping to a strict and stated price list prevents future issues/arguments.

edit: An oil and filter change is usually 30 minutes or so. But you have to anticipate the problem ones where the plug is cross threaded and jammed in for example. Or the oil filter hasn't been fitted correctly and takes a monstering to get out.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Had mine booked into Brownhills for cambelt and brake fluid change, agreed a price. Whilst the work was being done received a phone call that we had had rodents chewing alternator cable, told them to go ahead and fix it. Dreading the bill when we got back, but it was cheaper then the original quote as the original jobs had gone quicker than expected.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
It’s a business and needs to make money to survive. I’m not a lover of Brownhills but I’m not sure why a discount would be expected after all it saved having to take it back so reduces the inconvenience and downtime. Win win all round I would say.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s across the board.

I am getting one of our cars serviced at Audi tomorrow.

What’s the bets there is some work needed?

:rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Why do you think they're called Brownholes (aka Ars+holes)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When the van is on the ramp in the air with the drain stand up underneath it, the technician can be working on the cam belt

When it’s on the floor and the mechanic is changing the cam belt, it can’t be up in the air draining the oil out

Not conspiracy, no rip off, just charging for facilities

Seems totally fair

The number of people that used to ‘try’ to get arsey with us as they didn’t understand why one of our tech guys can’t just pop out to the car park to take a quick peek at their van for “10” minutes, which was always 20 minutes and was tosser speak for ‘I don’t want to pay you any money’ and not realising they’re probably the third person that’s asked that day, and there is a ‘proper’, money paying customers motorhome in the workshop that needs fixing and finishing, which won’t happen if the tech guy keeps being pulled away from his job

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Their not

When was the last (justified) complaint about them, bearing in mind they’re the biggest dealer in the UK selling thousands of motorhomes a year?

What is the point of a dealer cleaning up their act and massively improving if people tar them with a ten year old brush?

There are pubs that I walked out of 12 months ago, that with a management change become my favourite pub again

Things change

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I have never heard that.. purchased three MHs from them, and they are as good as most.

And a word of caution - be careful of libel?

Many dealers are on this forum, and surely they monitor it for market intelligence….

Ps all those slating Brownhills, are probably those that go to NEC and spend a fortune on a burger and chips, whilst i had a free ploughman’s lunch courtesy of Brownhills.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yesterday I had my cam belt changed at Brownhills - cost £450.
I got a phone call part way through the 'job' (about 2 hours before I was notified it was complete), saying the mechanic had noticed a small oil leak, nothing of any concern and asked if I wanted a new oil change and filter. My first thought was, yes go ahead please as it's already being worked on, but I asked the price ...

Oil around £90 filter around £24 PLUS £90 labour ... I asked re labour charge and was told they charge an hour's labour as it takes an hour for the oil to drain ...

I couldn't work out why they wanted to charge me £90 for 'draining time' when it was stood there anyway while the cam belt was being changed, so I said no (I'm booking it in for other work soon, so will have it done then). I could understand being charged for the time it took to remove the filter and refill which may have been 20 mins or so, but to be told it was for draining down time seemed inappropriate.

When I went to collect my keys, two hours after the phone call, I discussed it very calmly with their service 'agent', with the discussion quite clearly being overheard by others, who could have intervened, but got a shrugged shoulder response.

I won't be using Brownhills again for any vehicle related issues!!!
I drain my hot tub 1800 litres approx (400 gals)

They are taking the proverbial

Tell them you dont want to pay for the fitters lunch break

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have never heard that.. purchased three MHs from them, and they are as good as most.

Many dealers are on this forum, and surely they monitor it for market intelligence….

Ps all those slating Brownhills, are probably those that go to NEC and spend a fortune on a burger and chips, whilst i had a free ploughman’s lunch courtesy of Brownhills.
No such thing as a free lunch....you have along with other customers already paid for that 😉👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Business is business and they need to make a profit, else they aren’t going to be there to provide a choice as somewhere to get some work done!

Oil changes are contentious. Those of us who have or indeed do service our own vehicles know that it’s not an hours work and it’s the easiest thing in the world to do in terms of vehicle maintenance (most vehicles)!

If the company are part way through a job and offer an add on of an oil change, they are taking the Michael if they then add on anything other than a modest additional labour cost! Anything else is upselling a service that rips off their customer, which IMHO is a very bad look for any business.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
We bought a brand new motorhome from Brownhills in 2022. I had seen bad reports about their customer service but as they were the only dealer who could supply what we wanted it was with some trepidation we part exchanged our old van against the new one. We got a fair PEX valuation, and the new van came with 2 years habitation & service included. We got off to a bad start with a couple if issues that they had picked up during PDI and failed to fix on the day despite telling me they had.

Subsequently they paid my diesel for the 300 mile round trip to get these resolved & we were able to take advantage of free overnight parking courtesy of Club Brownhill. We have had a few return visits for warranty & servicing since and I have found their customer service staff & technicians to be helpful & courteous, as good if not better than other dealers I have dealt with.

Buying at a distance can make return visits to dealers a chore but my experience with Brownhills does not mirror others.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Business is business and they need to make a profit, else they aren’t going to be there to provide a choice as somewhere to get some work done!

Oil changes are contentious. Those of us who have or indeed do service our own vehicles know that it’s not an hours work and it’s the easiest thing in the world to do in terms of vehicle maintenance (most vehicles)!

If the company are part way through a job and offer an add on of an oil change, they are taking the Michael if they then add on anything other than a modest additional labour cost! Anything else is upselling a service that rips off their customer, which IMHO is a very bad look for any business.
This is true, but I think that how the work rate for a job is related to a customer is half the battle, an oil change could be an hour or hour an a half labour, the issue is saying it takes 1/2 hour to drain the oil we all know this isn ot the case

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan

3 vans and they give you a miserly ploughman's !
Seriously, did buy a van from them some years ago . All ok apart from no radio or spare wheel (brand new van) . I had a new radio in my old van which I started to remove . Salesman , nice guy , got me a radio and spare wheel .
Do suspect sales guy was too nice . I know he was under pressure on targets . I got a good deal .
Tbf their lounge area and park up facility was also a big plus

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
Seriously, did buy a van from them some years ago . All ok apart from no radio or spare wheel (brand new van) . I had a new radio in my old van which I started to remove . Salesman , nice guy , got me a radio and spare wheel .
Do suspect sales guy was too nice . I know he was under pressure on targets . I got a good deal .
Club Brownhill members get vouchers from time to time for 'free' meals for two at their cafe. Staying overnight you get free EHU and use of their washrooms, lounge area and swimming pool.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Definitely not me re the expensive burger & chips, nor being welcomed for a ploughman's on the Broonfools stand. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
No such thing as a free lunch....you have along with other customers already paid for that 😉👍
Yeah obviously…..

But dont see Travelworld, or Marquis or any others offering a free lunch?

And they and many others have equally good/bad customer experiences…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Possibly a miserly ploughmans, but its more than most dealers give away…..if you have been to the NEC you may note? Oh you may get a bag of catalogues and a cup!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
20 odd years ago we were looking for our first motorhome at the Peterborough show. Perhaps we looked like we couldn’t afford one or something but we were ignored then badly treated at the Brownhills stand. I swore then I wouldn’t buy anything from them if they were the last supplier on earth. However, fast forward those years and I needed a replacement flyscreen for a Hymer roof light. Couldn’t get one anywhere except Brownhills eBay shop which wasn’t showing any stock. So I rang them and had really excellent customer service which resulted in me getting the (expensive) fly screen. I’ve since used them again for a part, so never say never.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back