Brownhills inability to think straight ...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am going to play devils advocate here and suggest the reasoning behind the fee. Please note I have no idea why they would mention a leak and suggest an oil change. If the leak was minor they could have waited until you showed up to collect to notify you.

But onto the charge for the oil change. (my best guesses based on running companies for many years)

The vehicle has to be on a lift usually to perform the oil change. That ramp if being used by your vehicle cannot be used by any other vehicle. Hence the 1 hour charge.
They have to give a quote up front so they base it on worst case (on average) over all vehicles they perform services on. They probably charge by the one hour block for lift work as some jobs will run long and some will run short.
They will book 8 (slots) per day. If a job runs short they may at the end of the day have enough time left over to advance a job from the next days work. But they may also free up some time for a job that ran long. It is a balancing act.

As to why they didn't give you a discount on an oil change as you were already on this lift. That would open them up to arguments with customers. You in passing tell someone they did an oil change for £30 which was discounted due to you being on the lift.
They go to get theirs done and are charged the full £60 and they get into a stroppy argument about why they did it for someone else for £30 but not them? Sometimes keeping to a strict and stated price list prevents future issues/arguments.

edit: An oil and filter change is usually 30 minutes or so. But you have to anticipate the problem ones where the plug is cross threaded and jammed in for example. Or the oil filter hasn't been fitted correctly and takes a monstering to get out.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Had mine booked into Brownhills for cambelt and brake fluid change, agreed a price. Whilst the work was being done received a phone call that we had had rodents chewing alternator cable, told them to go ahead and fix it. Dreading the bill when we got back, but it was cheaper then the original quote as the original jobs had gone quicker than expected.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
It’s a business and needs to make money to survive. I’m not a lover of Brownhills but I’m not sure why a discount would be expected after all it saved having to take it back so reduces the inconvenience and downtime. Win win all round I would say.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s across the board.

I am getting one of our cars serviced at Audi tomorrow.

What’s the bets there is some work needed?

:rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Why do you think they're called Brownholes (aka Ars+holes)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When the van is on the ramp in the air with the drain stand up underneath it, the technician can be working on the cam belt

When it’s on the floor and the mechanic is changing the cam belt, it can’t be up in the air draining the oil out

Not conspiracy, no rip off, just charging for facilities

Seems totally fair

The number of people that used to ‘try’ to get arsey with us as they didn’t understand why one of our tech guys can’t just pop out to the car park to take a quick peek at their van for “10” minutes, which was always 20 minutes and was tosser speak for ‘I don’t want to pay you any money’ and not realising they’re probably the third person that’s asked that day, and there is a ‘proper’, money paying customers motorhome in the workshop that needs fixing and finishing, which won’t happen if the tech guy keeps being pulled away from his job

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Their not

When was the last (justified) complaint about them, bearing in mind they’re the biggest dealer in the UK selling thousands of motorhomes a year?

What is the point of a dealer cleaning up their act and massively improving if people tar them with a ten year old brush?

There are pubs that I walked out of 12 months ago, that with a management change become my favourite pub again

Things change

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I have never heard that.. purchased three MHs from them, and they are as good as most.

And a word of caution - be careful of libel?

Many dealers are on this forum, and surely they monitor it for market intelligence….

Ps all those slating Brownhills, are probably those that go to NEC and spend a fortune on a burger and chips, whilst i had a free ploughman’s lunch courtesy of Brownhills.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back