Beware out there folks - not nice 'present' on returning home today

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
20MPH On an A road bonkers. I live near the Welsh border but now nine times out of ten choose to not enter Wales.
I live in Wales and the first week the new 20mph limit came in I was done for doing 24mph in a 20mph zone.
It was on a country A road in the middle of nowhere, not built up residential or near a school etc.
The Welsh government said people would be "engaged with and educated " when the limit was introduced if they were doing 26mph or under.
A camera can't engage or educate a driver so I got a fine through the post.
There are plenty of sections of dual carriageway that are 20mph now including stretches out of towns and cities, it makes no sense.
Drakeford and Skates are both clueless idiots.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We'll vote them out in 2026 if the rest of Wales can get themselves out of the idiotic mindset they've had for 25 years. Something tells me it won't happen :rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
1 year, in these times
The legislation does not allow the use of repeaters on restricted roads with a system of streetlighting, it was not a choice made by politicians and advisors.
That was intended to be my point. The default was changed.
If the default had not been changed, 20 repeaters would have been required by legislation.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That was intended to be my point. The default was changed.
If the default had not been changed, 20 repeaters would have been required by legislation.
Zones have been around for decades but saying it’s right or wrong, but go to any housing area where it’s 30mph you get told once and that’s it and that includes rural lanes too where you see an unrestricted sign and no repeaters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Personally I think the limit should be 10 miles an hour also a man waving a white flag walking in front of the car would be effective. It will also create millions of jobs 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well. I'm back in Wales after 4 years away. Staying near llanberis ( which is sadly a bit run down these days).

The natural scenery is still as stunning and yesterday's clear day was amazing.

I was however stunned by the extent and stupidity of the 20mph thing. Miles and miles of it. I thought it was just round schools and busy areas, but it's not is it. It's everywhere it seems. Absolutely crazy. Been driving along arterial roads at 20mph in areas where there were no pedestrians at all.

I'm afraid the natural beauty doesn't make up for the run down towns and studied speed restrictions and cameras. I'm out of here. If it wasn't for my elderly auntie I wouldn't ever cross the border.

IMG_20241014_184833.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well. I'm back in Wales after 4 years away. Staying near llanberis ( which is sadly a bit run down these days).

I was however stunned by the extent and stupidity of the 20mph thing. Miles and miles of it. I thought it was just round schools and busy areas, but it's not is it. It's everywhere it seems. Absolutely crazy. Been driving along arterial roads at 20mph in areas where there were no pedestrians at all.

I'm afraid the natural beauty doesn't make up for the run down towns and studied speed restrictions and cameras. I'm out of here. If it wasn't for my elderly auntie I wouldn't ever cross the border.

View attachment 965325
That's the moon btw😀

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I've only been in Wales since Friday but the speed limits are quite ridiculous. I drove a patch yesterday from Taff's well to brecon , motorway at 50mph and then an a road at 40mph ....no buildings ,pedestrians, cyclist's or anything just lots of signs saying pollution kills slow down , and average speed cameras . The 20mph is bad enough , potholes and speedbumps, tailbacks, and the you've the rain to contend with too .

All I can say is I'll be glad to get back to English potholes 😁🤣

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've only been in Wales since Friday but the speed limits are quite ridiculous. I drove a patch yesterday from Taff's well to brecon , motorway at 50mph and then an a road at 40mph ....no buildings ,pedestrians, cyclist's or anything just lots of signs saying pollution kills slow down , and average speed cameras . The 20mph is bad enough , potholes and speedbumps, tailbacks, and the you've the rain to contend with too .

All I can say is I'll be glad to get back to English potholes 😁🤣
According to our local ex MP our roads are in the same state as the French (they said they often had conversations about them with the French) I pointed out that that their roads tend to be as smooth as billiard boards to which the scoffed and stated that they had as many potholes as we do .

There are two roads near me that are concerning its not the pot holes but the sink holes that are about to appear as the roads ha sunk so much.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bursner Solarno 690
Exp
since 2016
Mr Drayfords other achievements - cancelling the M4 relief road in Newport to be replaced by improved local transport (really helpful travelling to Swansea). Local buses are being reduced in frequency around S Wales (that's an improvement?). So now if there is a big accident at the Newport tunnels south Wales turns into a car park. Thank you Mr Drayford see you at the voting both

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Knew i shouldn't have said owt.
Just been done for 35 in a thirty. Was on the bike at the time.
From what i can make out they must have pinged me from just under half a mile away where a 60 drops to a 30.
Bugger.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If I'm unfortunate enough to have to enter Wales could you all keep to the left lane on dual carriageways with stupid speed limits so that I can travel at a sensible speed,please?(y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A point that hasn't yet been made AFAIK is that as a limit reduces it becomes more difficult to maintain a steady speed. At 50 for example 5% is 2.5mph. At 20 it becomes 1mph. To drive so that at no time 20mph is exceeded it is probably necessary to keep ones speed under 15mph.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697

6 of us, 3 couples...have a week break on our 3 motorbikes each year. We are steady away riders now so never worry about getting into bother. Last month we had a superb week based just outside Kelso in the Borders. I'd contemplated arranging mid-Wales for Sept 2025 but it had slipped my mind about the sgupid 20s....it is now off the agenda. So a £1500 weeks booking for a nice house, a meal out for 6 of us each day, foodstuffs, wine, gin (and Vimto for me) etc...probably a tad over £3k...going to another part of the UK....not because we want to go and ride like loonies....but at a speed commensurate with the conditions.....like the vast majority of limits seem to be around the rest of the UK. They've lost the plot
According to our local ex MP our roads are in the same state as the French (they said they often had conversations about them with the French) I pointed out that that their roads tend to be as smooth as billiard boards to which the scoffed and stated that they had as many potholes as we do .
Mmm, I'll take him/her out on any of our local roads...push bike, motorbike, car, camper etc....no issues with 99%+ of them. He/she is a moron.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
A point that hasn't yet been made AFAIK is that as a limit reduces it becomes more difficult to maintain a steady speed. At 50 for example 5% is 2.5mph. At 20 it becomes 1mph. To drive so that at no time 20mph is exceeded it is probably necessary to keep ones speed under 15mph.
Absolutely. I prefer to drive with my eyes on the road and not the Speedo. Trying to keep at 20 means staring at the Speedo constantly especially in a ducato with its crap speed display.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Absolutely. I prefer to drive with my eyes on the road and not the Speedo. Trying to keep at 20 means staring at the Speedo constantly especially in a ducato with its crap speed display.
I shall try mine today but a quick google seems to suggest that cruise control tends not to work below 25mph so 20s really are really difficult to master with regard to maintaining a steady low speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back