Beware out there folks - not nice 'present' on returning home today (98 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Drivers will be stuck nose-to-tail in a jam, while a half-empty bus goes past doing 50 mph,
If you put your mind to it there are various ways to shut a bus lane,many times a day & every day.
These anti-car zealots don't care and don't listen. :mad:
& they need to be targetted the same as just oil do to others ,& driven out of there homes.
in the USA break their laws they shoot you.
but they are really just,as thick as shite redknecks dealing with even more stupid TAS rednecks.Most shouldn't be allowed out with a hoop
is that the politicians are rarely qualified to do anything other than to sit down and pass motions.
This ^^^^^^^^ & need to be taught that they are there solely to serve the people.
This is just one of the roads where I have come across going from the National Speed Limit to 20mph. The right hand sign has been knocked a bit and you can see both sides in the image but you can also move beyond the point and see the other sid of the left hand one. The same road at the other end of the village drops ot 30 before going to 20 but this one appears without any warning and can be hidden by foliage. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1211022,-4.1836851,3a,75y,9.92h,79.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shgI0O3kNuJT7KIFvwuHmPQ!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&w=900&h=600&pitch=10.769999999999996&panoid=hgI0O3kNuJT7KIFvwuHmPQ&yaw=9.92!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyNS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==
exactly, come round the end at 60 mph & faced with a 20mph sign.
I'm fortunate in that I drive according to what the conditions are.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Is it us or has anyone noticed that fixed speed cameras have a tendency to be sited on downhill sections of road.
Where I live. They call them safety cameras. But there is a bit of road on the A45 just past the filling station where the overhead lights stop. 3 or 4 people have been killed there but no speed camera. Surely that would have been the perfect location for a safety camera. All fixed cameras are turned off now in Northamptonshire.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
We call ourselves a democracy and yet these ridiculous speed limits are forced upon us by some faceless council bureaucrats.

I say to them... If you're that brainless that you have to drive at 20mph so you don't run someone over, then please feel free. Don't judge all of us by your standards. No offence.
Actually they are local laws implemented by council officials based on political choices made by the people you elect.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Actually they are local laws implemented by council officials based on political choices made by the people you elect.
Except there's no one you can vote for who saying they will get rid of speed cameras and ULEZ and start applying common sense instead. That's the problem at National and local levels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Can I (heaven forbid!) introduce a note of sanity here? If I drive from where I live to Chepstow it takes me 14 minutes if there is no other traffic. I go through Tintern (half a mile at 20mph) and St Arvans (300 metres at 20 Mph). Using a calculator I find that if I were allowed to go at 30mph in these villages, the trip would take me 14.3 minutes. Oh my god! The end of civilisation as we know it! Incidentally, I personally have not seen a situation where the road goes from 60 to 20 just like that - there is always a transition to 30 first. I drive a lot in France, and 20mph (well, 30kmh, which is less than 20mph) is commonplace in areas where there are lots of pedestrians and I have never heard any of my French friends complain. Perhaps because, like me, they also walk and cycle (Don't get me started about the attitude to cyclists of many British motorists! It's why I hate cycling in Britain and love cycling in polite and considerate France. And PLEASE don't tell me of a rude or dangerous experience you have had in France, of course we all have, but I'm talking about the generality here.) I realise I am out of step with many posters on this site, but I still like MotorHome Fun, I have had much help from its contributors over the years and will continue to participate and subscribe. It would be dull world if we were all the same!
I would guess that you are out of step with SOME posters on here. But they are the usual suspects that thrive on outrage, usually over trivial matters.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Can I (heaven forbid!) introduce a note of sanity here? If I drive from where I live to Chepstow it takes me 14 minutes if there is no other traffic. I go through Tintern (half a mile at 20mph) and St Arvans (300 metres at 20 Mph). Using a calculator I find that if I were allowed to go at 30mph in these villages, the trip would take me 14.3 minutes. Oh my god! The end of civilisation as we know it! Incidentally, I personally have not seen a situation where the road goes from 60 to 20 just like that - there is always a transition to 30 first. I drive a lot in France, and 20mph (well, 30kmh, which is less than 20mph) is commonplace in areas where there are lots of pedestrians and I have never heard any of my French friends complain. Perhaps because, like me, they also walk and cycle (Don't get me started about the attitude to cyclists of many British motorists! It's why I hate cycling in Britain and love cycling in polite and considerate France. And PLEASE don't tell me of a rude or dangerous experience you have had in France, of course we all have, but I'm talking about the generality here.) I realise I am out of step with many posters on this site, but I still like MotorHome Fun, I have had much help from its contributors over the years and will continue to participate and subscribe. It would be dull world if we were all the same!

I've driven on that road and all I can say is that the pointless 20 mph zones felt like a trap for unwary English drivers.

I have cousins living in deepest Wales who keep inviting me to visit them but I am less than enthusiastic about risking points on my licence.

As for France their 30 kph zones tend not to appear out of nowhere.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I already do. Sadly. Along with many others as you can see from this thread.
Many?

It’s not that many really is it?

It’s never empty or quiet, campsites always full and same with beaches. Been up Snowdon a few times recently, always rammed!!

I don’t think anyone that thinks it’s acceptable to place their personal convenience and driver privilege above the lives and safety of residents will be missed either.

It’s a slower speed limit, that’s all.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Mark draford idiot first minister is the culprit not any councils, he approved ÂŁ21 million for the change over now he's talking about allotting ÂŁ10 million so local councils can change some back (after local consultation). Don't worry though we in Wales will remember that stupidity in 2 years time when the labour party are looking to get re-elected into power in Welsh assembly - We will remember them !!!
I’m not a fan of Mark Drakeford but I think you will find our first minister is now Eluned Morgan who took over when Vaughan Gething was ousted . Drakeford hasn’t been in power since he resigned last December.
Drakeford is now health minister.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
And they may be offered a speed awareness course if not done one in 3 years
It may only bee 3 points and although notifiable to your insurance...if asked ..check the small print is unlikely to effect your premiums
Unless of course you collect points ..some people do I'm lead to believe.

Would you get speed awareness for 27 in a 20? Percentage over the limit that's quite high. Equivalent to 81 in a 60 or 84.5 in a 70.

Edit - ah, might so according to this info

Speed limitAccepted tolerance to qualify for a speed awareness course
20mphFrom 24mph to 31mph
30mphFrom 35mph to 42mph
40mphFrom 46mph to 53mph
50mphFrom 57mph to 64mph
60mphFrom 68mph to 75mph
70mphFrom 79mph to 86mph

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
If just 10% of motorists carried battery operated heavy duty 8'' angle grinders ,, there would be no fixed cameras in a couple of months ...
... and fewer entitled speeding idiots on the road (after they're all prosecuted for their vandalism) ... :giggler:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Along with many others as you can see from this thread.

More than a slight exageration! there are fewer than 50 people who have contributed on this thread.

I have little time for the current devolved Welsh govenment and many of their poor decissions; Poor decissions by politicians often the result of the outcome of the election being decided on history not on effective policies.
But, i can assure you Wales is the same country with the same people as there were prior to the change to 20 mph.

However, everyone is entitled to make their own choices as to where they travel for recreation.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
20MPH On an A road bonkers. I live near the Welsh border but now nine times out of ten choose to not enter Wales.
same here, its just a pain, this lunchtime we ventured about 8 miles over the border, went through a tiny place called Ardleen, cant be more than 100 houses, nobody about, 20 mph for first 200 yards, out into a bit of countryside so it went to 30mph, then past 6-8 houses it went to 40mph then back to national speed limit all in about 400 yards. Ridiculous!!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry to hear you were caught, most drivers have at one time or another, the key for this is was there a sign of 20 mph before you entered the area,
This is all well and good but they now have more signs in Wales than ever before but they also have a lot of hedges and as they leave the hedges uncut to protect the eco system its genuinely not easy to see many of non-urban ones.

I also went through Trewern today and noticed that the tops of the speed limit signs were missing but the big circles were painted on the road as 40mph, no idea whats going on there...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is all well and good but they now have more signs in Wales than ever before but they also have a lot of hedges and as they leave the hedges uncut to protect the eco system its genuinely not easy to see many of non-urban ones.

I also went through Trewern today and noticed that the tops of the speed limit signs were missing but the big circles were painted on the road as 40mph, no idea whats going on there...
Its not what is painted on the road (thats optional and could be wrong) it is the sign and if the sign is covered that in itself would be presentable as reasonable 'defence' as signage has to be clearly viewable, painted road signage is optional and its not a red circle but normally just advisory white paint (not a sign giving an order) !

Download for signage is here

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 19.00.19.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back