Are CAMC finally getting the message

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I guess this is all about perspectives, regarding electricity its clear since the energy pricing crisis it has become more in focus than the past, then you get people with opinions about what it 'Should' cost or just wanting free parking so somewhere lays the truth.

Clearly the more popular sites do get very busy and you have to book in advance, as we know when lock down happened things went bananas along with people abused the system by booking then late canceling.

I have just booked a private site, the pitches and showers are not as neat, tidy or in as a good a state as CAMC, and its £33 per night, if I want to go to Brighton next Saturday (this Saturday is Full) is from £23.30, add the wife its about £40 so about £7 more than I am paying this weekend. which has very well maintained facilities.

In the area we are staying a Pub room is £140

So here is a thought and its around Inflation, in 2019 that Brighton CAMC pitch may have been £19 with inflation in 2024 that would now be £23.66 and with the wife £33.00

So it may well be that its inflation rather than greedy CAMC that is making these pitch figures look high, yet people expect costs to remain the same or lower.

Average price of pint in 2019 was £3.70 today that same pint is £4.80

The FT weekend edition is £5.20 who on earth would pay over a fiver for a paper? yet its around the same price as a pint

View attachment 963511
It is interesting to read the reviews on the club site of its sites by members. Many are not complementary of the ite standards. Lots of comments about tired facilities in need of improvement. I rarely visit club sites so little first hand experience but I don’t get a sense that club sites are at the top of the pile in regard to excellent facilities. They probably used to be, but independent sites have overtaken them. Probably the newly refurbished blocks are good but that is only a minority.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It is interesting to read the reviews on the club site of its sites by members. Many are not complementary of the ite standards. Lots of comments about tired facilities in need of improvement. I rarely visit club sites so little first hand experience but I don’t get a sense that club sites are at the top of the pile in regard to excellent facilities. They probably used to be, but independent sites have overtaken them. Probably the newly refurbished blocks are good but that is only a minority.
We very rarely use club sites, but if we do we never but ever venture Into their toilet blocks... why should we.... we got or own on board toilet block!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
My CAMC experience in past years is that unless you booked months in advance your only chance of getting on site at short notice during peak season was if there was a late cancellation. Hence the rush in previous years to book the most popular sites online up to 12 months ahead, as soon as advance booking was available online.

In 2024 there was/is a lot of pitch availability if you use the lata availability search tool, even during school holidays and bank holiday weekends. I actually got a pitch at Cirencester Park during the August Bank Holiday weekend via late availability. I was pleasantly surprised, except by the rather steep cost.

I don't know where the break-even occupancy level lies. What is now becoming obvious is that increases in the pitch fees for the 2023 season (and this year) were unnecessarily high. That is putting many Members off, especially compared to cheap pitch fees for equally good or better sites across the Channel at half the cost.

I estimated that I am paying about £5 a night for EHU on CAMC pitches, hidden in the inclusive pitch fee. My requirement is only to charge the hab batteries and keep the compressor fridge and lights running. I am being either overcharged, or I am effectively cross-subsidising high electricity consumption (especially for hot water and space heating) by other outfits, especially large caravans with awnings. What the Club should be doing with its £50+ million in the bank is rolling out metered EHU across its site portfolio ASAP. I understand the current trial of metered EHU has been successful. Bleedin' obvious anyway.
It’s interesting that there is the same charge on CAMC sites for awning and non awning pitches. I’ve come across many people who having an awning then use a 2kw heater to heat it.
I’ve always had the view that the best way CAMC could have effectively and cheaply reduced the use of electricity would be to replace 16amp breakers with either 10 or 6amp ones. These allow the basic functions eg fridge, charging, water heater etc, even a low wattage kettle or microwave, but not electric guzzling heaters etc.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
It’s interesting that there is the same charge on CAMC sites for awning and non awning pitches. I’ve come across many people who having an awning then use a 2kw heater to heat it.
I’ve always had the view that the best way CAMC could have effectively and cheaply reduced the use of electricity would be to replace 16amp breakers with either 10 or 6amp ones. These allow the basic functions eg fridge, charging, water heater etc, even a low wattage kettle or microwave, but not electric guzzling heaters etc.
I think the CAMC has decided that it wants to roll out meters to all sites. The trial was a success I. That it lowered consumption but I gather that the system used was not without issues. Not surprising because in my view the club tends to go for complex not simple, and when I read about the system it did seem very complex. But I’ve not used it. They were going to trial on a second site, but that seems to have gone quiet. They were also doing some trial of members being able to opt on arrival for either electric or not and the warden would lock that particular box, but this seems to have been during the autumn and maybe winter. Not the best time to do a trial with people who perhaps are not too confident in opting out of ehu. Somewhere there has been a report that they will push ahead once they have found an easy system to use. Installation costs will of course be considerable.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
We very rarely use club sites, but if we do we never but ever venture Into their toilet blocks... why should we.... we got or own on board toilet block!
I agree with you there, always nicer in your own van, however, I do use the site facilities if I want a long shower and don't fancy moving the van to top up with water, I have used showers at the gym and at the swimming baths so I'm not completely against their use, just prefer my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I think the CAMC has decided that it wants to roll out meters to all sites. The trial was a success I. That it lowered consumption but I gather that the system used was not without issues. Not surprising because in my view the club tends to go for complex not simple, and when I read about the system it did seem very complex. But I’ve not used it. They were going to trial on a second site, but that seems to have gone quiet. They were also doing some trial of members being able to opt on arrival for either electric or not and the warden would lock that particular box, but this seems to have been during the autumn and maybe winter. Not the best time to do a trial with people who perhaps are not too confident in opting out of ehu. Somewhere there has been a report that they will push ahead once they have found an easy system to use. Installation costs will of course be considerable.
I think your last sentence says it all. Installation costs… which will of course be passed onto site fees making CAMC sites even more expensive. A simple change of breakers to lower consumption would have been a relatively cheap and quick option.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I prefer private sites to "franchise" in the same way I prefer family run hotels to chains.
Always better when the person you deal with has skin in the game.

My main objection to CAMC is the amorphous, rather soulless, corporate branded similarity of them all - that and the odd warden who interprets "warden" differently to me!.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I've only been to a dozen or so. Yes, some of them are older, but none were unpleasant or unwelcoming. All were a step up from CACC standard (which are perfectly fine themselves).

They have a rolling programme of upgrades and refurbishment. But I guess some are put off if they don't have the security of a long lease.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
😂 if you rarely visit sites how do you know only a minority are in good condition ? I would say they are pretty standardised clean and in working order. You say reviews are not complementary the guy who responded to a warden who said ‘good morning Sir’ the guy responded by snapping ‘do not call me Sir’ I suspect he would have left a negative review.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
😂 if you rarely visit sites how do you know only a minority are in good condition ? I would say they are pretty standardised clean and in working order. You say reviews are not complementary the guy who responded to a warden who said ‘good morning Sir’ the guy responded by snapping ‘do not call me Sir’ I suspect he would have left a negative review.
We've stayed on many C&MC sites and, by and large, they are all much of a muchness. Clean and very functional. You know what you're getting when you book.

Only ever made one complaint and that was a few years ago when they spent a lot of money upgrading Hawes toilet block which, to our minds, was one of the higher spec facilities! Money could have been better spent elsewhere on the network on some of the older facilities.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Only a minority have been refurbished, is what I was saying.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Only a minority have been refurbished, is what I was saying.
I think you'll find there is quite a few that have had work done on them over the last couple or so years. We can think of, probably, a dozen or so that we've been on.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think your last sentence says it all. Installation costs… which will of course be passed onto site fees making CAMC sites even more expensive. A simple change of breakers to lower consumption would have been a relatively cheap and quick option.

The CAMC had closing cash of £53.8m up 12% from the previous year. The Club has always been sitting on its massive cash reserves.

I don't see why rolling out metered EHU to the majority of Club sites should mean increased site fees to pass on the cost to Members. Plenty of cash available for such a programme. While they are at it they could install more EV charge points.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The CAMC had closing cash of £53.8m up 12% from the previous year. The Club has always been sitting on its massive cash reserves.

I don't see why rolling out metered EHU to the majority of Club sites should mean increased site fees to pass on the cost to Members. Plenty of cash available for such a programme. While they are at it they could install more EV charge points.
They also have to get their heads around more electric motorhomes like the VW Buzz and others that will need charging on the pitch.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
They also have to get their heads around more electric motorhomes like the VW Buzz and others that will need charging on the pitch.
It would be nice, and if there is an electricity to the pitch, why not, however, not a necessity. The clubs do not currently provide facilities for you to refuel with diesel. Electric motorhomes will just have to charge up before they get there or when they leave just like we do now

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

It would be interesting to know what % of a site fee is apportioned to EHU use. It would also be interesting to know if generally that is exceeded or underused by the majority? Metering could result in a drop in annual income whilst electricity costs on the whole stay high. Facilities blocks, offices, shops etc will still burn it. As you say sitting on massive cash reserves. Up again this year but didn’t stop fees increasing across the board. A not for profit members organisation that sits on £millions yet increases prices. What makes you think they’ll use reserves and not pass the costs on?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It would be interesting to know what % of a site fee is apportioned to EHU use. It would also be interesting to know if generally that is exceeded or underused by the majority? Metering could result in a drop in annual income whilst electricity costs on the whole stay high. Facilities blocks, offices, shops etc will still burn it. As you say sitting on massive cash reserves. Up again this year but didn’t stop fees increasing across the board. A not for profit members organisation that sits on £millions yet increases prices. What makes you think they’ll use reserves and not pass the costs on?
Recently I booked a CAMC site that has one or two cheapo basic grass pitches without EHU, probably for tenters.

The pitch fee for a grass pitch with EHU was exactly £5 more. That's where I got my £5 per night cost of EHU from.

Such an overkill cash pile makes me think that the Executive Committee is extremely risk-averse and/or lacks imagination.

I find it difficult to think what kind of emergency scenario would justify this size of reserve. I understand that some of that cash is earmarked for the odd acquisition, although the tendency is to buy former affiliated private sites, so in reality the number of pitch nights available to Members through the Club's booking system stays roughly the same. Meanwhile, the Club loses important leased city sites such as Baltic Wharf and Crystal Palace, that can't be replaced.

The other excuse for holding cash seems to be that the Planning system delays their site improvements programme.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back