Anyone know of any buyer scams (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
We are selling our Motorhome and we’re contacting to yesterday by a dealer who travelled from Hertfordshire claiming to be visiting a friend and interested in the van. We met tonight and he wants to purchase obviously at a reduced price. He’s given a deposit in cash to complete tomorrow

There were 2 of them the buyer and his technician. I know there are a few scams about. I will be taking the cash to the bank first thing to have it checked as genuine.

Any advice?

Thanks Janey

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
i remember i lifted a large sum out my bank (natwest at the time ) to buy a car went to car auction bought the car went to pay for it ,,cash office looking at the cash saying 2 of the twenty notes were fake ,,they gave me them back and i paid them back into my account ,that they never questioned. a week later i told them about the fake £20s they gave me ,,they said they dont check all the notes ,,brilliant cant even trust the bank 😒
When people pay in big sums they keep it seperate and check it after close of business.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
maybe, but they dont check it giving it out in large sums, or they never with mine ,,and they never checked the £40 i paid back into them ,,but that was a few years back, they might have changed ,,>?

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
We went for meal at a pretty posh restaurant in Manchester last year and the guy who was our waiter had a large tattoo on his arm.
I said 'is that Vlad the Impaler?' - he was so impressed he gave us a bottle of wine for free.

Ahhh. Yes, it may well have been Mr Khan, and I'm quite happy to shift the blame from Vlad to him as by all accounts he had a particularly nasty side to his character.
But not as bad as wodger thou, he was both a wobber and wapist

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to pay in large amounts of cash for work, mostly from bar sales and there were occasionally forged notes which the bank did pick up.

They let me keep one or two which I used to show the bar staff what to look out for. Mostly checked by feel then the usual watermark, silver thread and holographic check if in doubt.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back