Anyone know of any buyer scams (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
We are selling our Motorhome and we’re contacting to yesterday by a dealer who travelled from Hertfordshire claiming to be visiting a friend and interested in the van. We met tonight and he wants to purchase obviously at a reduced price. He’s given a deposit in cash to complete tomorrow

There were 2 of them the buyer and his technician. I know there are a few scams about. I will be taking the cash to the bank first thing to have it checked as genuine.

Any advice?

Thanks Janey

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We are selling our Motorhome and we’re contacting to yesterday by a dealer who travelled from Hertfordshire claiming to be visiting a friend and interested in the van. We met tonight and he wants to purchase obviously at a reduced price. He’s given a deposit in cash to complete tomorrow

There were 2 of them the buyer and his technician. I know there are a few scams about. I will be taking the cash to the bank first thing to have it checked as genuine.

Any advice?

Thanks Janey
Walk away.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi yes all sorted. Took advice and negotiated better price. Thanks for all your advice and help. It was a bit of a strange one but it’s all experience, thanks all
Glad it was all good for you and your happier with the price.
Just for our info how did they end up paying the balance to you.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I sold my frankia in 2018 like this

Guy phoned said they were 40 miles away viewing another van that turned out to be unsuitable . Could they view

An hour later 3 guys turned up. One was the buyer one a mechanic and the other a motorhome sales broker . Loved the van spent 45 minutes viewing it .. took it a test drive I drove . They said they'd take it . They went off for lunch while I emptied it ,returned 2 hours later. Transferred £41,500.00 in to my account and drove off . Never heard from them again

Alls well that ended well

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A dealer from Hertfordshire, just passing somewhere in East Lothian, happens by chance to have a mechanic with him, more chance winning the lottery
I had one from Blackpool just happened to be in Glasgow with his mechanic and a broker .. van was viewed sold and paid for within a few hours.

It does happen .

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I sold my frankia in 2018 like this

Guy phoned said they were 40 miles away viewing another van that turned out to be unsuitable . Could they view

An hour later 3 guys turned up. One was the buyer one a mechanic and the other a motorhome sales broker . Loved the van spent 45 minutes viewing it .. took it a test drive I drove . They said they'd take it . They went off for lunch while I emptied it ,returned 2 hours later. Transferred £41,500.00 in to my account and drove off . Never heard from them again

Alls well that ended well
I had a Dutch twat pestering me over my Frankia, said he was waiting on his house selling before buying. At the end up he wanted to throw his Ducrapi into the deal, I told him to do one. 🤣🤣

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I get it, never travel with out a mechanic, just in case
I had a Dutch twat pestering me over my Frankia, said he was waiting on his house selling before buying. At the end up he wanted to throw his Ducrapi into the deal, I told him to do one. 🤣🤣
I've had that same problem with my mobilvetta.

Whit a coincidence lol

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
I expect its common practice for some dealers. Some go door chapping and ask if vans ,caravans for sale . The guy I bought my latest one from gets most of his stock that way.

And he had a lot of stock
sure, legitimate dealer, travelling and buying stock. If you read the first post, you get why there was some skepticism, he was visiting a friend and happen to have a mechanic and suitcase of cash...
from the outcome, just another dealer doing his thing, but trying to lower the price by the opening gambit

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
sure, legitimate dealer, travelling and buying stock. If you read the first post, you get why there was some skepticism, he was visiting a friend and happen to have a mechanic and suitcase of cash...
from the outcome, just another dealer doing his thing, but trying to lower the price by the opening gambit
That's what dealers do . Buy cheap , do nowt, sell dear , give worthless warranty lol.

Private sales are always better

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Yeah, they even gave the Germans their bikes to get home in ‘45. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah it still hurts now, hugely popular and welcome in NL (not)
Mind you talking to my grandfathers I believe we have good cause for the dislike……….🥲

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back