Anyone know of any buyer scams (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
We are selling our Motorhome and we’re contacting to yesterday by a dealer who travelled from Hertfordshire claiming to be visiting a friend and interested in the van. We met tonight and he wants to purchase obviously at a reduced price. He’s given a deposit in cash to complete tomorrow

There were 2 of them the buyer and his technician. I know there are a few scams about. I will be taking the cash to the bank first thing to have it checked as genuine.

Any advice?

Thanks Janey

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As suggested already do not let the van go until you have taken the buyer to the bank to ensure the notes are genuine, and do not let them take it for a test drive alone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
We are selling our Motorhome and we’re contacting to yesterday by a dealer who travelled from Hertfordshire claiming to be visiting a friend and interested in the van. We met tonight and he wants to purchase obviously at a reduced price. He’s given a deposit in cash to complete tomorrow

There were 2 of them the buyer and his technician. I know there are a few scams about. I will be taking the cash to the bank first thing to have it checked as genuine.

Any advice?

Thanks Janey
Hi thanks for all the comments. Fully intend to go to bank before completing any sale. Yes they have an accent which would indicate they were of Irish heritage. ( no offence intended to our friends in Eire and NI). Moto in secure compound so not in drive.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Check with your bank that they accept large cash deposits. Expect them to ask questions about the source of the funds - don’t know if that extends to asking questions of the buyers who will presumably accompany you to the bank. Take along id, V5, photographs etc to demonstrate that the van exists.

Upvote 1
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi thanks for all the comments. Fully intend to go to bank before completing any sale. Yes they have an accent which would indicate they were of Irish heritage. ( no offence intended to our friends in Eire and NI). Moto in secure compound so not in drive.

Yes check with your bank regarding cash deposits 👍

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Damp scam, whilst you’re not looking one of them sprays a little water on the internal wall surface from a little pocket concealed water misting bottle.
They then say we’ll just check for damp and low and behold their meter shows a higher than normal moisture reading.
‘We can sort it back at our workshop but it’ll cost bit’
hence the low offer price.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2023
Coventry, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer swing
when I sold a motorhome in 2016 the buyer had cash, bank said they would only take £5000 cash.Then my wife came to the bank and they let us do £5000 on her card as well(joint account).The rest went home with us in a bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Boringfrog

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I realise that in days of yore that was a commonplace jibe but isn't that rather racist in view of today's sensitivities? :unsure:
When I advertised my motorhome on Facebook I was inundated with messages from Irish buyers, all friends of each other and continuously messaging me in quite an aggressive manner.

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Warning

I would be very worried about this scenario.
If it is indeed a scam, and you haven't informed the buyer / scammer that you intend to have the notes examined by the bank prior to handing over the keys, you should be prepared for a very negative or violent reaction.

Personally, I would ring the buyer/ scammer and inform him that you intend to take the notes to the bank prior to handing over the keys, and see what reaction you get.

Hopefully you don't live in an isolated place.
If you do, get friends to visit at the same time and disable van.

Sad, but bad people are knocking about.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would check with your storage compound and advise that the van is not to leave the compound unless you are there in person.
They have your receipt for your deposit to hand add a few zeros and advises compound they have bought it.
Can you call the dealers premises in Hertfordshire to see if he is genuine?

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If they are Itinerants, one thing for sure is they are expert negotiators, and you'll need to have your wits about you for the second stage. Because guaranteed, even though you have a deposit, the deal isn't yet done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I advertised my motorhome on Facebook I was inundated with messages from Irish buyers, all friends of each other and continuously messaging me in quite an aggressive manner.
(I don't want to derail this worrying thread but find it strange that so many alleged scammers/fraudsters seem to be Irish).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back