Any Mechanics on here can explain what’s happening.

vectian

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Sounds a very stupid and dangerous situation to be in.
So if the automatic system comes into action and it automatically brakes and slows you down
1/ do the brake lights activate to warn the vehicle behind that you're braking
2/ if the driver behind ploughs into your rear because you've braked hard for no reason who's at fault for the insurance claim.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Sounds a very stupid and dangerous situation to be in.
So if the automatic system comes into action and it automatically brakes and slows you down
1/ do the brake lights activate to warn the vehicle behind that you're braking
2/ if the driver behind ploughs into your rear because you've braked hard for no reason who's at fault for the insurance claim.

Looking at the Cross Wind Assist cartoon on the Fiat Ducato ‘Safety’ Webpage it indicates that the brake lights do come on when the feature activates, although it’s no guarantee.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Just how is it good to have the brakes coming on anytime on their own, even if something is coming towards you you might want to go faster to get out of its road not stop in front of it.
I have honestly never heard of this before and can't help thinking I have never heard of anything so stupid.

Brakes are used to control all sorts of handling on modern cars. Anti skid control will brake individual wheels to help bring the vehicle back under control along along with cut to engine power. Traction control uses similar techniques.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
There must be plenty of others with a post 2021 Motorhome with this feature on?

Do they experience the same?
Mines March 2021 and i've never experienced anything like this. However, I guess mine could have easily been built in 2020 and escaped it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Having read the manual for my Pugeot x260 or whatever variation it is, it does have a switch under the dash for ASR, so you can deactivate the system "so the wheels can turn freely". ASR is part of the ESC, as is ABS, DSC, EBA and so on, but only the ASR seems to be switchable. I am wondering if there is unintentional interaction therein. But "I no speaky techno". But as others have said, I can barely see the dash display at the best of times, what's the chances of me seeing a brief small warning light while all that's going on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I know what they will say,the diagnostic will say there’s nothing wrong,the same as my van so Fiat will say everything is normal,that’s the position I’ve been in for the last year.
Yeah probably but the difference this time is that the Technician I spoke to yesterday is doing the work and he is going to reduce the aggressiveness of the system the same way they di with their IVECO vans.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
There must be plenty of others with a post 2021 Motorhome with this feature on?

Do they experience the same?
Manufacture date on mine is around January 22. It has this " feature" but so far , touch wood, done nearly 3000 miles in UK and Spain without any issues.

Patrick

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
So, nobody recall the Boeing 737 max planes being grounded? 2 crashes, killing 300+ people later the authorities finally admitted there was a problem with "safety" software sending the planes into a series of nosedives that the pilots could not overide, Boeing kept the new system quiet (from pilots) until forced to take action, lesson to be learned? never trust the manufacturers to be honest and open!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
I can feel the cross wind assist activating at times, but only gently. There is is a regular stream of lights flashing on the dash, beeps and even a message that told me the windscreen needs cleaning when it was raining. I would need a co-pilot if I wanted to look up what they all mean.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
All these namby Pamby health and safety measures… we should get rid of all these things and go back to the average life expectancy of 45 then that would also be a bonus for climate change…😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
So, nobody recall the Boeing 737 max planes being grounded? 2 crashes, killing 300+ people later the authorities finally admitted there was a problem with "safety" software sending the planes into a series of nosedives that the pilots could not overide, Boeing kept the new system quiet (from pilots) until forced to take action, lesson to be learned? never trust the manufacturers to be honest and open!
Anyone interested in the Boeing debacle may find this link of interest.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
LOL
Take all of that with a pinch of salt
Read the actual reports, not some internet experts account
It’s well documented
The actual reports are linked if you take the trouble to read the posts.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The actual reports are linked if you take the trouble to read the posts.
As an article it covers most of what happened but….
Human performance played a large part in what happened
I have read all the official documents previously but thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zifiro
Exp
Since 2000
As an article it covers most of what happened but….
Human performance played a large part in what happened
I have read all the official documents previously but thanks for the advice
Hi everyone,how did your date with Fiat go Chris,did thay find anything?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Yeah probably but the difference this time is that the Technician I spoke to yesterday is doing the work and he is going to reduce the aggressiveness of the system the same way they di with their IVECO vans.
Hi Chris, did you get the cross wind assist removed in the end? I have just purchased a 2022 Iveco which is doing the same thing.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I doubt it very much, there's nothing to find.
It's a case of physics, not mechanics..
There is such a thing as Mechanical stress caused by wind but do agree physics are normally applied when considering aerodynamics

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
So I’ll try to explain this as best as possible. Second time abroad driving our new 22 plate fiat Ducato on the French till roads but same problem.
We drive up from bavaria into France and up the A4 then A26. It’s very windy and a strong headwind. Each time I try to overtake a lorry I get along side and can feel the pull from the lorry. Once I get ahead the front right break locks up and slow us down with the lorry right alongside. It’s bloody unnerving but only happens when we overtake a lorry. Open road with no overtaking it’s fine. Also we travelled on way down through begium and then German autobahn with no issue only on French toll roads while overtaking. I can’t work out what’s going on but on 3 occasions it’s left me very close to a lorry unable to get past.
Can any mechanic work out what’s happening?
Have you remembered to disengage your speed limiter before overtaking?

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi Chris, did you get the cross wind assist removed in the end? I have just purchased a 2022 Iveco which is doing the same thing.

When I took it in to get checked back in June they just faffed about for a whole week back and forth with data to FIAT. In the end, I just got fed up with them and took the van back.
Fiat doesn't seem to take these things that seriously. They just assume all Motorhomes drive around at 50km an hour and are not in a hurry to get anywhere.

So I still have the problem. I nearly had a collision overtaking a lorry in August while heading southwest in France.
But TBF it was during that 2-week bad weather spell and the win was gale force. We had originally planned to go to Germany but the weather was so bad we decided to head towards Bordeaux. Bad choice it was horrible with the storm coming in from the Atlantic and hitting the Motorhome side-on for days. So you can imagine what it was like trying to overtake any HGVS.

So different approach next year we have booked the ferry from Newcastle to Holland and we just plan to meander at 50km an hour through Germany, just as the Italians would like us to do.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Chris

We have a 2023 Fiat with the same symptoms. I thought it was only me until I spoke to another motor home owner with the same problem. Which garage did you take it too and which email address?

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi Chris

We have a 2023 Fiat with the same symptoms. I thought it was only me until I spoke to another motor home owner with the same problem. Which garage did you take it too and which email address?
I took to the nearest Fiat service place near Edinburgh. A total waste of time because at the time I seemed to be the only person with this issue.

You need to first report the issue with Fiat Camper Contact who will then authorise a check at your nearest Fiat service place.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
I took to the nearest Fiat service place near Edinburgh. A total waste of time because at the time I seemed to be the only person with this issue.

You need to first report the issue with Fiat Camper Contact who will then authorise a check at your nearest Fiat service place.
Same problem on our 2023 Fiat, in Spain on a dual carriageway last year left front braking for a second, happened quite a few times,no traffic near us, never happened again since, guess it was the side wind as it was fierce that day.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
So I’ll try to explain this as best as possible. Second time abroad driving our new 22 plate fiat Ducato on the French till roads but same problem.
We drive up from bavaria into France and up the A4 then A26. It’s very windy and a strong headwind. Each time I try to overtake a lorry I get along side and can feel the pull from the lorry. Once I get ahead the front right break locks up and slow us down with the lorry right alongside. It’s bloody unnerving but only happens when we overtake a lorry. Open road with no overtaking it’s fine. Also we travelled on way down through begium and then German autobahn with no issue only on French toll roads while overtaking. I can’t work out what’s going on but on 3 occasions it’s left me very close to a lorry unable to get past.
Can any mechanic work out what’s happening?
Does it have lane assist ? It may feel the van veering and brake as compensation..
Read the handbook and adjust the settings ?
Mitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back