Any Mechanics on here can explain what’s happening.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Indeed a strange one.... and if it is indeed a cross wind/head wind or any other safety gizmo then thank feck I don't have it...
You and me both. :(

And some dozed off and ran off the road whilst other nodded off and ran into the back of slower moving traffic ;)
More likely those who didn't view driving with the responsibilities it requires Martin, nor the commitment to the safety of all road users. :(

Unfortunately, many see driving purely as a mundane necessity, and nothing more. :(

A lot of these auto gizmos removes the element of responsibility from the drivers, ie, auto wipers, auto lights, DRLs (with no lights to the rear), etc, etc. It is the driver at the end of the day, who is deemed to be in control of the vehicle, and in the event of an accident, blaming auto gizmos or settings for failure to operate, or alert the driver to potentially dangerous situations, is no defence whatsoever.
As previously stated, how on ever did we manage without all this techy assistance stuff? :(

BTW, a while ago I drove a 44 Tonne Mercedes Actros with a loaded trailer, fitted with cameras and monitors instead of mirrors, lane assist, and collision prevention control.
I drove for several miles on cruise control without touching the brakes or accelerator, negotiating several roundabouts. The only time I had to intervene, was when I needed to turn left off the carriageway, which obviously the truck's computer system wasn't aware of..........
.......only because I hadn't programmed the inbuilt Sat Nav. ;)

Whilst it was a bit of a learning curve, (and without any input), I was always aware that I'm the responsible element, not the techy assist systems.
Many of the company drivers refused to drive it without any familiarisation input, whereas I saw it as a challenge, which I enjoyed............but it was like taking a calculated risk:)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
How the he’ll did people manage to drive years ago without all these crap electronics deciding what the vehicle should be doing.

Ohh yeah it was called experience 🙄😊
Yes true, but road safety was not so good, that said the high level of safety of modern vehicles does maybe increase carelessness?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I find, that at the moment of wondering why some alien has taken over control of the car, the dash message has flashed and gone while my attention is still fully on the road and control of the car.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
So how does this lane assist work on narrow country lanes? Highly dangerous if it pulls you to one side.
Our Waitrose delivery driver told me some time ago that he had experienced problems with his van suddenly braking by itself on sharp corners in the narrow Cornish country lanes. The safety system was mistaking the upcoming hedge on the corner for presumably another vehicle.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zifiro
Exp
Since 2000
We have a 2022 Roller Team Zifero with the same problem,the ASC or wind assist actives when overtaking trucks on the motorway with little or no wind this has happened 60 or 70 times in 15000 kms and Fiat assistance say this normal, this is impossible because every MH on the road would have the same problem, so please contact Fiat to tell them you have the same problem,perhaps they can find a solution,we are desperate to find a solution,we feel the MH is to dangerous to drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
I don’t know. I drove down from Edinburgh to Dover and no problem. It’s always heading north on French toll roads. Today on 3 occasions the breaking was so much the Lorry I had overtaken then was side by side
It’s just the Air Dam spilling round from the front of the lorry that’s slowing you down - nothing to do with the brakes! Happens to us often - we get part way past a lorry, slowly as we are both go doing similar speeds often going slightly up hill, but s as soon s we get level with the lorry cab where the air is spilling round the sides of the lorry, we get held back, often having to fall back behind it until e we get on the level it start going downhill slightly! Ours is a 20 year old van!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Yes true, but road safety was not so good, that said the high level of safety of modern vehicles does maybe increase carelessness?
Along with the higher speed levels achieved in short order and a large population of drivers actually believing they are the best drivers on the road.🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just how is it good to have the brakes coming on anytime on their own, even if something is coming towards you you might want to go faster to get out of its road not stop in front of it.
I have honestly never heard of this before and can't help thinking I have never heard of anything so stupid.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just how is it good to have the brakes coming on anytime on their own, even if something is coming towards you you might want to go faster to get out of its road not stop in front of it.
I have honestly never heard of this before and can't help thinking I have never heard of anything so stupid.
chaser .... I am with you all the way on this... 👍👍👍

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
And some dozed off and ran off the road whilst other nodded off and ran into the back of slower moving traffic ;)

I’ll bet they only did it the once though.

Too many “aids” make for a poorer lazy drivers imho.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are thinking about "emergency brake assist" (or whatever they call it) I imagine at the point the brakes come on for you the system deems that you have passed the point of human intervention, whether or not that is the case I don't know and hope that I never find out ;)

The application of a brake for "cross wind assist" is supposed to regain stability and stop you crashing but it would appear that there may be some issues with the system, the braking thing is a bit like the caravan anti-snake system that would apply the caravan brakes to straighten out a dangerous snake.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Along with the higher speed levels achieved in short order and a large population of drivers actually believing they are the best drivers on the road.🤔
Yes true, cars are much more powerful these days, but whilst many do drive thinking they are Mansell, Stewart, Moss, Hamilton, Lauda or Senna (RIP) etc, there are some things that are different…..when many of us passed our test we drove like idiots, kids today have to go a couple of years with a black box in a 900cc put put before they get let loose…. So technology certainly improves safety.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Maybe road safety wasn’t so good because the brakes, head lights, suspension, tyres etc were all crap.

The last thing I need is a vehicle “thinking” for me thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Depends, Volvo city safe is pretty damn good, and as far as I know since about MY17, no UK deaths in an XC90, so that’s a very good thing.

but sure many recall the VFR800 mad coupled brakes from about MY 10 onwards, in rideable at slow speeds…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Maybe road safety wasn’t so good because the brakes, head lights, suspension, tyres etc were all crap.

The last thing I need is a vehicle “thinking” for me thanks.
Exactly, technology has improved, and in the main is a good thing..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
that said the high level of safety of modern vehicles does maybe increase carelessness?
And complacency, ie, "Oh it's great, as it sorts itself out automatically." :doh:

It’s just the Air Dam spilling round from the front of the lorry that’s slowing you down - nothing to do with the brakes! Happens to us often - we get part way past a lorry, slowly as we are both go doing similar speeds often going slightly up hill, but s as soon s we get level with the lorry cab where the air is spilling round the sides of the lorry, we get held back, often having to fall back behind it until e we get on the level it start going downhill slightly! Ours is a 20 year old van!
Sorry tonyysue. Although there is a definite reaction from the bow wave of an Artic or a Coach when overtaking them, it is not enough to think that your brakes have activated, or that you have suddenly lost power.

Having just driven across France, Spain, Portugal, Spain and France again over the last 3 x months, in our 3.0 litre Iveco Daily based MH, (which is too old for the modern driver assist gizmos), we have never not been able to continue overtaking large vehicles, despite encountering the bow wave they make. We just distance ourselves as much as we can from them, within the constraints of the lane markings. Lubbly Jubbly and Ticketyboo. ;)

When driving large vehicles, (Artics or Coaches), I am aware of the bow wave I create when overtaking smaller vehicles, especially caravans towed by cars, and it is for that reason that again, where possible, I distance myself within the constraints of the lane markings, to help aleviate the effects of the bow wave, that I know have created. (y)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Don’t forget when the majority of us passed our test the cars we could afford didn’t go very fast!
In the past a few of my son‘s friends had accidents, using mums car which was something like a Peugeot 205, quite fast for the inexperienced to handle especially with 3 large friends in the back.
I do appreciate there were Lotus Cortina’s etc but not many people I knew could afford them, Ford Anglias if you were upmarket and in my case a Morris 1000!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

chaser .... I am with you all the way on this... 👍👍👍
So am I. (y)

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Don’t forget when the majority of us passed our test the cars we could afford didn’t go very fast!
In the past a few of my son‘s friends had accidents, using mums car which was something like a Peugeot 205, quite fast for the inexperienced to handle especially with 3 large friends in the back.
I am sure that there was a large element of bravado and showing off, involved in those accident statistics. ;)

Cheers,

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zifiro
Exp
Since 2000
It’s happened so often on my MH my wife videoed it twice on one of the videos you can clearly see the ASC illuminated,also my local Fiat dealers mechanic has tested the MH and it happened twice,but the on board computer and the mechanic’s laptop recorded nothing

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If you are thinking about "emergency brake assist" (or whatever they call it) I imagine at the point the brakes come on for you the system deems that you have passed the point of human intervention, whether or not that is the case I don't know and hope that I never find out ;)
Emergency Brake Assist has been around for years...
My last few(oldish) cars had it... It has nothing to do with automatically applying brakes because driver is to lazy too..
Basically when the driver deem an emergency stop is required, the system senses that and applys extra braking force to pedal and braking system to aid driver.
So to activate requires full driver participation..
Never had to do an emergency stop so I do not know if you even know it has activated or not.👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Emergency Brake Assist has been around for years...
My last few(oldish) cars had it... It has nothing to do with automatically applying brakes because driver is to lazy too..
Basically when the driver deem an emergency stop is required, the system senses that and applys extra braking force to pedal and braking system to aid driver.
So to activate requires full driver participation..
Never had to do an emergency stop so I do not know if you even know it has activated or not.👍
OK sorry, the automatic braking but not sure what they all call it IVECO call it AEBS "advanced emergency braking system"

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
So just home after a 10 hour drive from Dover. So it happened 3 times around the dual carriageway on M11 then it was okay right up to Morpeth when I tried overtake a lorry on an uphill incline with cross winds. I just got ahead and was doing 60mph when the wind assist activated and pulled the Motorhome back to under 50.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So just home after a 10 hour drive from Dover. So it happened 3 times around the dual carriageway on M11 then it was okay right up to Morpeth when I tried overtake a lorry on an uphill incline with cross winds. I just got ahead and was doing 60mph when the wind assist activated and pulled the Motorhome back to under 50.
Does it do it all the time or just occasionally, ie, just when you are overtaking uphill?

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Does it do it all the time or just occasionally, ie, just when you are overtaking uphill?
Not all the time if you read back through my posts I have detailed what’s happened over my travels from bavaria up to Edinburgh over the last couple of days.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not all the time if you read back through my posts I have detailed what’s happened over my travels from bavaria up to Edinburgh over the last couple of days.
So it happens sometimes and not others, everything has been checked and working correctly?

we’ve only driven older motorhomes, Merc 2.7 2006, Merc 2.7 2005, Fiat 2.8 2005 and our current Iveco 2005 3.0L, none did/do it.

Surely if it was an inherent problem loads of people would be reporting it so if they not it points to a problem with your system?

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
So it happens sometimes and not others, everything has been checked and working correctly?

we’ve only driven older motorhomes, Merc 2.7 2006, Merc 2.7 2005, Fiat 2.8 2005 and our current Iveco 2005 3.0L, none did/do it.

Surely if it was an inherent problem loads of people would be reporting it so if they not it points to a problem with your system?
It was only fitted from 2021 models

F557E694-6397-4D6B-9EC2-3B66B9B6D8D0.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zifiro
Exp
Since 2000
Chris please report this problem to Fiat assistance l have the same problem but like you I can do 1000 kms with nothing, but the next day it can happen 3times in 100kms but because it’s so intermittent Fiat don’t believe it l have been trying to solve this problem for 10 months

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
How do these things know which side of the road you are supposed to be on, as in left or right hand roads.?
possibly detects which way the MoHo is affected by the cross wind coming from the nearside or offside and counters the movement appropriately rather than being dependant on the side of the road you dive (it has no knowledge of this)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zifiro
Exp
Since 2000
I live in Spain so we drive on the right but sometimes it activates when a van overtakes in windless conditions,frightening

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back