Any Mechanics on here can explain what’s happening.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
So how does this lane assist work on narrow country lanes? Highly dangerous if it pulls you to one side.

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
So just found this on Fiat website. Looks like this is the problem.

DD11D3EE-A75C-4978-8A20-8A8CE0132B17.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Does anyone really know what the computer in your vehicle is doing at any one time? I've had the engine warning light come on and then go off again a few times. Professional diagnostics says there are no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
So how does this lane assist work on narrow country lanes? Highly dangerous if it pulls you to one side.
Lane Assist recognises the white lines, between lanes. If there aren’t any, it’s not normally an issue however, our Tivoli is a bit over-sensitive! If the Road has been tarmacced with joins, it sometimes picks them up! It’s not so much resistance you can’t overcome it but, you can definitely feel it trying pull you back ‘on line’…..

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Have you tried leaving the indicator on while overtaking, as it may well notify any safety features that you are overtaking etc.
Funnily enough I was thinking about that. I generally do it a lot while driving in Germany to warn the F1 drivers on the autobahn I’m overtaking but not so much on French roads.
I’ll give it a try in August if I can get a definitive answer what’s going on.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Funnily enough I was thinking about that. I generally do it a lot while driving in Germany to warn the F1 drivers on the autobahn I’m overtaking but not so much on French roads.
If it's computer intervention you should get something flash up on the dashboard, our lane departure warning will flash up "get back in lane" or something similar while simultaneously nudging the steering (just enough to feel but not dangerous), "cross wind assist" will momentarily brake on wheel to regain control but as I say it was removed from motorhome packages by IVECO.

I should add that "lane departure warning" is not functional if you use your indicators to change lane.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My 2020 Pugeot has something called lane assist or something. If you look at the interior rear mirror from the outside, in the black out area top middle, there's a small round spot where there is a camera lens. Owing to my personal circumstances I have not driven the van much at all, but just the other day I went out in it, it was a real handful in the wind. I'll have to look it up on the manual. I never read manuals coz it's usually in techno speak. I no speaky techno.

My Jazz Mk4 has the annoying Road Departure Mitigation and Lane Keep Assist systems that sound a warning bleep, and tugs the steering much too often for no good reason. You get used to it, because it is a faff using buttons and menus to turn these "driver aids" off before every journey. Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand the latest Ducatos along with windscreen top cameras now have electric steering, allowing FIAT to implement such hyper-sensitive electronic safety systems. I haven't driven such a Ducato, but I can imagine that when the system kicks in it will be irritating or maybe even alarming for the driver, depending on the circumstances.

I am in favour of Collision Mitigation Braking systems and anything that wakes you up if you nod off.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It only works once it has locked on to two lines, very rarely if ever on narrow country lanes as it can't lock on.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My Jazz Mk4 has the annoying Road Departure Mitigation and Lane Keep Assist systems that sound a warning bleep, and tugs the steering much too often for no good reason. You get used to it, because it is a faff using buttons and menus to turn these "driver aids" off before every journey. Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand the latest Ducatos along with windscreen top cameras now have electric steering, allowing FIAT to implement such hyper-sensitive electronic safety systems. I haven't driven such a Ducato, but I can imagine that when the system kicks in it will be irritating or maybe even alarming for the driver, depending on the circumstances.

I am in favour of Collision Mitigation Braking systems and anything that wakes you up if you nod off.
On ours you can set the sensitivity and steering input level to suit yourself, if you don't want a fight with the steering wheel you set the steering input to low.

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Have you tried leaving the indicator on while overtaking, as it may well notify any safety features that you are overtaking etc.
Funnily enough I was thinking about that. I generally do it a lot while driving in Germany to warm the F1 drivers on the autobahn I’m overtaking but not so much on French roads.
I’ll give it a try in August if I can get a definitive
If it's computer intervention you should get something flash up on the dashboard, our lane departure warning will flash up "get back in lane" or something similar while simultaneously nudging the steering (just enough to feel but not dangerous), "cross wind assist" will momentarily brake on wheel to regain control but as I say it was removed from motorhome packages by IVECO.

I should add that "lane departure warning" is not functional if you use your indicators to change lane.
Its definitely wind assist as you describe. It momentarily breaks on passenger side but it’s a jolt and can reduce speed from 65 to 50 in seconds.
I have to take foot of gas and then back on a couple of times to gain speed again

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It only works once it has locked on to two lines, very rarely if ever on narrow country lanes as it can't lock on.

My Road Departure Mitigation system reacts to grass verges. The designers have obviously never driven on our country lanes or B roads. The Lane Departure one only kicks in above about 50 mph. Enough about the Jazz which is excellent in many other ways. I use it as an example of the safety aids being oversensitive and intervening when it really isn't necessary. I hope they won't spoil the driving experience in the latest Ducato/Relay/Boxer MHs.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Funnily enough I was thinking about that. I generally do it a lot while driving in Germany to warm the F1 drivers on the autobahn I’m overtaking but not so much on French roads.

Its definitely wind assist as you describe. It momentarily breaks on passenger side but it’s a jolt and can reduce speed from 65 to 50 in seconds.
I have to take foot of gas and then back on a couple of times to gain speed again
I would be looking for the OFF switch then,

My Road Departure Mitigation system reacts to grass verges. The designers have obviously never driven on our country lanes or B roads. The Lane Departure one only kicks in above about 50 mph. Enough about the Jazz which is excellent in many other ways. I use it as an example of the safety aids being oversensitive and intervening when it really isn't necessary. I hope they won't spoil the driving experience in the latest Ducato/Relay/Boxer MHs.
I should have said "our" etc etc (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How do these things know which side of the road you are supposed to be on, as in left or right hand roads.?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I was stationed in Germany for 20 years, loved it, but I remember the advert that outlawed being in the fast lane with the indicator on. The F1 drivers used it as a means of trying to bully their way through traffic. That was in the 90’s, so not aware what the law states now 👍🏻🤷🏼‍♂️

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How do these things know which side of the road you are supposed to be on, as in left or right hand roads.?
:LOL: Good question, It wouldn't, when I first started using ours I got the feeling it thought we were driving on the right, we are LHD, it would try keep me further away from the Left side of the road than I wanted it to in the UK but over time it seems to have learned that I like to hug the left side, either that or I gave the camera a little tweak but it works fine over the water whatever.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
I can't for the life of me see how something that puts your brakes on, never mind just one, when trying to overtake a lorry can be described as a safety feature, sounds very dangerous to me.
My understanding is both front and rear brake and from experience the vehicle does not pull you toward the vehicle being overtaken what it actually does is hold the line so it stops you hitting it or vice versa it warns you if you haven’t noticed visually that it’s closing in on you and allows you to move away. Remember this braking effect is instantaneous.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I can't for the life of me see how something that puts your brakes on, never mind just one, when trying to overtake a lorry can be described as a safety feature, sounds very dangerous to me.
My last car, a Suzuki, had "safety braking" it was very dangerous, kept putting the brake on if it thought something was getting too close, including on a bend if the corner Infront of it had a bank. I switched it off but it was automatically on, so had to be switched off every time. The VW we have now has something similar but without the automatic braking, it flashes a warning on screen, much easier to ignore.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

I wonder if it also applys the brake lights warning people following you.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
It doesn’t, it knows your on a dual carriageway or motorway see.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
:LOL: Good question, It wouldn't, when I first started using ours I got the feeling it thought we were driving on the right, we are LHD, it would try keep me further away from the Left side of the road than I wanted it to in the UK but over time it seems to have learned that I like to hug the left side, either that or I gave the camera a little tweak but it works fine over the water whatever.
It does cus it’s linked to yr sat Nav I guess?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How the he’ll did people manage to drive years ago without all these crap electronics deciding what the vehicle should be doing.

Ohh yeah it was called experience 🙄😊

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How the he’ll did people manage to drive years ago without all these crap electronics deciding what the vehicle should be doing.

Ohh yeah it was called experience 🙄😊
And some dozed off and ran off the road whilst other nodded off and ran into the back of slower moving traffic ;)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
All becoming clearer now! A couple or more weeks ago we were driving south from Bruges.
Weather was grim and I was only doing about 55 mph, at times just tucked in behind lorries as though in a convoy!
Anyway went under a bridge or an overpass when I came out the other side the motorhome was buffeted quite strongly by the crosswind, it slowed up quite considerably and I had no idea what had happened, I actually thought my foot had slipped off the accelerator!
I know I should have been aware of the “safety feature” on the new Ducatto but never saw it in the virtually non existent manual!
Thanks Motorhomefun, every day a school day.

OP
OP
Chris Laing

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
So just at Cambridge services at moment it has done it 3 times now overtaking lorries all on the M11 dual carriageway not big 3 lane highways.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So just at Cambridge services at moment it has done it 3 times now overtaking lorries all on the M11 dual carriageway not big 3 lane highways.
Anything flash up on the dash?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back