LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Started the van today and a warning sound with Airbag Fault being displayed.
Checked everything for a loose connection to no avail.
Called AA and after much searching he came up with the attached fault codes.
It seems that the air bag ecu is prone to failure (Google Searches).
I can hopefully source a module and replace it myself.
Not sure if this would clear the codes or whether I would still need to take it somewhere to get the faults cleared.
Sod’s Law as we are packing the van for an extended tour of Ireland.
Any info appreciated.
Graham
IMG_4513.jpeg

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
There are a million and one titles on this

Just buy a new one after buying a new vehicle battery as its normally loss of vehicle power or you jumpstarted it and there was a power surge

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming this is a fiat then it’s easy to replace but any new unit needs to be “ proxi aligned “ to the main ecu.
You can do this if you have the appropriate software ( multiecuscan) as an example.
Or you pay for the set up.
There is a simple procedure to clear the codes but without the proxi nothing will change.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
There are a million and one titles on this

Just buy a new one after buying a new vehicle battery as its normally loss of vehicle power or you jumpstarted it ans there was a power surge
Vehicle battery fully charged and holding power.
Just one of those annoying things.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Assuming this is a fiat then it’s easy to replace but any new unit needs to be “ proxi aligned “ to the main ecu.
You can do this if you have the appropriate software ( multiecuscan) as an example.
Or you pay for the set up.
There is a simple procedure to clear the codes but without the proxi nothing will change.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Changing it is well within my capability but I would then need to take to a garage with a good code reader

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
This is what the group is for, I'd try all the fixes for it. Then plan the fix if this doesn't work before your MOT

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Changing it is well within my capability but I would then need to take to a garage with a good code reader
Do you know any funster locally who has multiecuscan? Unless there are other issues it’s a relatively quick process. ( although it took several attempts to get mine aligned)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Mine went a couple of months ago. I got Fiat to replace and proxy. Align it. Expensive but I thought it was worth it for peace of mind as it is now warranted for a year.

I also purchased the multi scan software for my computer for any future electronic shenanigans.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Just had mine replaced I managed to clear the fault codes 3 times with multieuscan but on the 4th time it said internal fault with ecu so I like many have had to have it replaced and proxy aligned I’m not confident enough with ms software so had my local garage do it £478 later all now working fine. I do believe that the new oem ecu’s have been upgraded so shouldn’t now re-occur

Nov 23, 2023
Chatham, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, my brother had the same issue, he removed the module which is in front of the battery on the floor, sent it to a guy on eBay and he removed crash data and it’s been fine since, if you put in eBay item number 305644695013 he will come up, i would highly recommend him

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
From experance it is best to get a new unit, if you have it done by a Fiat Professional expensive but you get a two year warranty. Adams Morey are only just along the road from you.
Problem is I leave on Tuesday so probably no chance of getting it done seeing as it’s a bank holiday.🤬

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Problem is I leave on Tuesday so probably no chance of getting it done seeing as it’s a bank holiday.🤬
Give them a ring try to get hold of Simon Potter, when mine went I phoned him on Thursday afternoon they had one in stock a & fitted the next morning.
Should get the Fun discount on parts.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Are we sure that those codes imply an airbag ECU fault? If it was me, I would be checking the underseat connectors and wiring before spending money on a new ECU and proxy alignment.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
From experance it is best to get a new unit, if you have it done by a Fiat Professional expensive but you get a two year warranty. Adams Morey are only just along the road from you.
I got a new one too, heard various reports about companies charging not much less than a new one to reset it, only for it to fail shortly after.
Mines failed on a 2019 fiat btw
(Also got a new battery fitted at the same time).

Graydo

Jun 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Literally had this a month ago. Bought a 2019 Autotrail with the Fiat cab. A day before we were due to collect he said that the airbag light had come on and indeed it is a common fault . If you remove your old unit and send it to a firm near Liverpool Crashdata it costs around £90 for a fix that you can refit to the vehicle.
The seller of the van bought a brand new unit for around £250 and sent it express to me. Literally a five minute job to replace the unit but the airbag light remained on until a motor electrician worked his magic to code it to the vehicle.
Apparently a drop/surge in voltage causes this.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you remove your old unit and send it to a firm near Liverpool Crashdata it costs around £90 for a fix
Total wast of time I had one repaired by them it lasted 10 days they don't give any warrantee d wash their hands of it won't accept any responsibility.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
. If you remove your old unit and send it to a firm near Liverpool Crashdata it costs around £90 for a fix that you can refit to the vehicle.
Apparently a drop/surge in voltage causes this.
A new one from Fiat will hopefully be more resilient to this problem. A repaired one from crashdata often just fails again

Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Just had mine replaced I managed to clear the fault codes 3 times with multieuscan but on the 4th time it said internal fault with ecu so I like many have had to have it replaced and proxy aligned I’m not confident enough with ms software so had my local garage do it £478 later all now working fine. I do believe that the new oem ecu’s have been upgraded so shouldn’t now re-occur
Hi Poutie 57
Do you know what year the new Oem ecu were fired ? My van is a 2021 do you know if it will still be prone to airbag module failure ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back