Adblue - How far are you getting? (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Adblue - what a major pain in the backside this stuff is. We took delivery of a brand new moho last November and it's the first vehicle I've had which is equipped with an adblue system.

So far we're only getting @ 1500 miles between the adblue light coming on. Our Fiat Ducato base has no gauge, just a light. The price of adblue seems to have doubled in recent days, I've just paid £20 for 10 litres, I can't find any of those £1 a litre deals.
A local garage has adblue pumps, £1.79 a litre, but the diesel there is not cheap, so do I drive from one fuel station to another? :)

Another absolute PITA is the addition of an adblue tank to the vehicle has reduced diesel capacity to 60 litres, meaning a fuel range of under 250 miles, a pita on long journeys.

Talking to friends who have cars with adblue, they're saying the never have to top it up. One handbook I've seen says the adblue is topped up at the annual service. Why am I having to top up on journeys?

What's your experience folks, how many miles are you doing between adblue top ups?

Mike

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The back of the tank filler lid it explains how to reset the adblue warning light holding the key in the prestart position for a set time ,can’t remember exactly how long but your 2 mins could be right.
Really! lol. I'll need to look. I guess "prestart" is just ignition on?

Upvote 0
Solution
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our MY20 auto 140bhp has been back to fiat a few times for this as our usage is what I would consider excessive. However by their calculations a Fiat motorhome can use 4-7 litres per 1000KM on mixed/combined driving. Ours came out at 5litres per 1000km. Once the light comes on you get a few hundred miles to top up, ours usually takes 9 litres when the light is on it is a 17 litre ad blu tank. we are running at 4 tonne.

The eco button makes ours more sluggish but with fuel coats i may try this more often now.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
MY20 160ps 2.3 ducato. About 3000 miles before first fill @ 13L or so. Only filled once so far, on 6000m now so expect it soon
What concerned me more was it gave a low warning, and I filled up within 50/100 miles of first warning - so well before any countdown.

Display went from "ad blue low"
to, after filling,
"engine won't restart when cranked" :eek:
then 20 mins later
"ad blue low"
then 10 mins later, all clear

Very odd.

Same happened on our 2020 140bhp manual……you were lucky. RAC Commercial attended, spent 2 hours trying to get it going. They had Adblue cascading out of the filler, even after telling the guy I’d filled it up.

Lowloader called, carted off to the Fiat garage, they did their thing and got it going. Both I and the RAC guy went through the reset procedure, so I have no idea what the garage did.

I now top up every 1000 miles (as the mileage passes the 000 so I know when it done), and it usually takes between 3 and 3.5 litres. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Same happened on our 2020 140bhp manual……you were lucky. RAC Commercial attended, spent 2 hours trying to get it going. They had Adblue cascading out of the filler, even after telling the guy I’d filled it up.

Lowloader called, carted off to the Fiat garage, they did their thing and got it going. Both I and the RAC guy went through the reset procedure, so I have no idea what the garage did.

I now top up every 1000 miles (as the mileage passes the 000 so I know when it done), and it usually takes between 3 and 3.5 litres. (y)
Probably not a bad idea.
I'll get 10L ordered and just full up at home - I'd expect it to be close to taking the full amount

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Probably not a bad idea.
I'll get 10L ordered and just full up at home - I'd expect it to be close to taking the full amount
I believe the tank holds a total of 19 litres. Although the manual says be careful not to overfill, after seeing the RAC Commercial guy having it cascading out, I don’t think I’ll worry about my little dribble of overfill.

I surround the filler with an old towel so I don’t get it on the bodywork. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I believe the tank holds a total of 19 litres. Although the manual says be careful not to overfill, after seeing the RAC Commercial guy having it cascading out, I don’t think I’ll worry about my little dribble of overfill.

I surround the filler with an old towel so I don’t get it on the bodywork. (y)
Well thanks :)

Just bought 2x 5L from Asda @ £8ea. (Toolstation, Screwfix = £22 ECP = £25) - so quite a bargain if you can call it that

First time I've done it from a bottle, used pump last time due to horror stories of spillage, but the included "nozzle" was fine and 5L easy enough to hold. Got all 10L in without spilling a drop! (I had blue-roll wrapping just in case).

Best to be proactive. But better get some more at somepoint!

Thanks for the nudge to be proactive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Glad someone has raised this. Had the same 1500 mile issue when fist had the Van. Serious concern as already have 2 vehicles with Ad Blue.

Initially went back to dealer as suspected there was the preverbal leak in the Ad Blue tank - none to be found... Then tried driving with different Mode setting on gears set to Eco Drive - suddenly found massive saving on Fuel consumption but Ad Blue jumped to 3600 miles (ish) range - beats the RR.
Interesting. Our Ducato is 2.3 160 bhp auto. I've made much use of the Eco drive mode on ours, works well for the mpg but haven't found what difference if any it makes to adblue consumption.

I'll top up at home from now on, before each trip. However long trips will require topping up en route and I'll be able to check distances between warning light then, our next long trip is towards end of May (Norway).

I've just been chatting to neighbours on campsite, they have cars with adblue, they say they've never had to top up.

My van's filler flap has no info on resetting warning light and the handbook is of no use either. 😞

I haven't been too concerned about spillages, I've had 2 spillages so far and found it just washes away with plenty of water.

Thanks for your replies guys. 🙂

Mike

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Interesting. Our Ducato is 2.3 160 bhp auto. I've made much use of the Eco drive mode on ours, works well for the mpg but haven't found what difference if any it makes to adblue consumption.

I'll top up at home from now on, before each trip. However long trips will require topping up en route and I'll be able to check distances between warning light then, our next long trip is towards end of May (Norway).

I've just been chatting to neighbours on campsite, they have cars with adblue, they say they've never had to top up.

My van's filler flap has no info on resetting warning light and the handbook is of no use either. 😞

I haven't been too concerned about spillages, I've had 2 spillages so far and found it just washes away with plenty of water.

Mike

https://www.fiatprofessional.com/uk/mopar/maintenance/adblue (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
PS, found this other thread, what a nightmare, Sapper!

Upvote 1
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp

Mike
I have the sticker on the cap - if you want a pic let me know
What MPG do you get and whats the difference with eco on/off?

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
PS, found this other thread, what a nightmare, Sapper!

Yep, it appears some people get away with having the light come on and others don’t.

I’ll never let my light come on again……for the shake of a 5 minute job, its really not worth the hassle / gamble. (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Really! lol. I'll need to look. I guess "prestart" is just ignition on?
Here.
5392EE1C-9665-492C-AEEF-0E55BB0E6074.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Tesco garage had 10 litres for £14 a couple of weeks ago.
I'm finding any supply at those kind of prices are now out of stock or unavailable. Cheapest I've found drom the supermarkets is 4 litres for £7.50, trouble is the Fiat system insists on a minimum of 5 litres when light comes on.
Then again, 5 cans of that would have been cheaper than the 20litres I bought from Halfords, but then there's 5 plastic containers to throw away. Hardly planet saving. 🙂

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
Adblue - what a major pain in the backside this stuff is. We took delivery of a brand new moho last November and it's the first vehicle I've had which is equipped with an adblue system.

So far we're only getting @ 1500 miles between the adblue light coming on. Our Fiat Ducato base has no gauge, just a light. The price of adblue seems to have doubled in recent days, I've just paid £20 for 10 litres, I can't find any of those £1 a litre deals.
A local garage has adblue pumps, £1.79 a litre, but the diesel there is not cheap, so do I drive from one fuel station to another? :)

Another absolute PITA is the addition of an adblue tank to the vehicle has reduced diesel capacity to 60 litres, meaning a fuel range of under 250 miles, a pita on long journeys.

Talking to friends who have cars with adblue, they're saying the never have to top it up. One handbook I've seen says the adblue is topped up at the annual service. Why am I having to top up on journeys?

What's your experience folks, how many miles are you doing between adblue top ups?

Mike
Think you will find that where was only a small amount of addblu in the motorhome to start I should check your oil level as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I saw a couple of 10 litre containers of adblu in our local Aldi yesterday. Don't know the price as it was outside with the screen wash and I currently have some But it's obviously still available and the last time Aldi was a good price on adblu

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
I am getting roughly 350 - 400 miles/litre of AdBlue, based on my (non-scientific) method of calculating consumption!! I have a 2021 Ducato PVC with the 140bhp 2.3 engine and 9 speed auto transmission. I carry a 5 litre sealed container of the stuff onboard, as a backup. I usually buy it from Screwfix or Toolstation as they tend to be the cheapest, although the local Tesco sometimes has it on offer. The consumption (I believe) varies due to driving style, but I keep a record to try and predict when to top up (at home, preferably) prior to long journeys especially. I tend to use ECO mode on the gearbox when cruising, and it seems to improve the fuel consumption, but unsure about any effect on AdBlue consumption.
I went to Germany in December, and the light came on whilst on one of the Autobahns - the AdBlue I reluctantly purchased at the next services was almost €15 for 4.7 Litres - weird size, and quite expensive!
The 'reset' procedure is quite straightforward - turn ignition on once topped up, and wait for the AdBlue warning light to extinguish before cranking the engine.
When topping up at home, I fill to full (overflowing) so that I know the tank is full. Any spillage is minimal as I use a funnel, but is easily washed away with water. I am convinced that the AdBlue contents are nowhere near full when the van comes off the production line....

Upvote 1
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B-ML T780
My Mercedes 170 BHP does 446 miles per litre of adblue, so 17 litres = 7580 mile. It also has a gauge that shows how much is left. The Mercedes Me app also tells you the percentage in the adblue tank. That is running at a weight of 3660 kg when full of diesel.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Never been in a LEZ or ULEZ, even with my car. These are usually only in cities which I avoid at all costs.
Don’t get me started on this, they’re already separate threads on this subject. I live in Greater Manchester (the proposed largest CAZ in Europe?) “if” brought in I won’t have a choice.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Also don’t forget if the light comes DO NOT turn the engine off until you are in a safe place, as, if it has been wired up correctly, the engine will not restart until it’s been added.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Also don’t forget if the light comes DO NOT turn the engine off until you are in a safe place, as, if it has been wired up correctly, the engine will not restart until it’s been added.
I think that's only the case if the caption turns RED. I have managed to restart my engine without problem when the caption was AMBER.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Burstener TD 745
Exp
since 2014
2019 2.3 160bhp ducato at 4250kg , Amber light comes on at around 1000 miles, only takes 8-9 ltrs though.
Manual says it's a 19ltr tank, seems a little early for a warning to me......
As previous posters have said can be a pain to a. Find an ad blue pump or b. Buy a tub...
Ran fine for a few hundred miles with Amber caption...
Also freezes at -11c , just got back from drive over Pyrenees at -3c, its heated at pump but how it'll cope with an overnight deep freeze I've no idea.

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
Just to add my bit... 2017 Peugeot 2lit base, does very close to 600miles/litre of Adblue from a 15lit tank; so 9000m/tank or 7500m to first warning. Only problem I've ever had is there's a flap about 45mm inside the filler hole, and Halfords 10lit didn't have a nozzle long enough to open it - but that's probably been mentioned on other threads already! Oh and I read that it freezes around -10 but it's fine to use when it unfreezes, and its shelf life is 18mths kept cool and dark. So it's all just one more thing to go wrong...

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
After a couple of refills, mine appears to be using none :oops:!

After stalling the engine, Ad Blue warning illuminated - fair enough, right sort of miles I thought
Went to pump, couldn't get any in - advised pump might be faulty
Went to another pump, same story
Bought a 5litre container, couldn't get any in, might be useless spout, tried another, no luck.

Went to my mechanic [who has looked after my vehicles for nearly 30 years]...
"AdBlue = Dark Arts, absolutely no consistency of use from one engine to another"
"Sensor probably stuck, horrible stuff AdBlue, and stalling just freed it"
"You can't get any in because the tank is full" [when the alternatives are eliminated, the truth is self evident]

Me: But I must have used some over the past x 1000 miles
Him: Why? The sensor only calls for AdBlue additive when temperature is exceeded.
Me: But what about emissions & passing MOT
Him: NOx not measured - and they weren't.

Him: Don't worry about it, the tank is full. If the light comes on you have 1500 miles to fill it up, if you still can't fill it up, then you'll have 100's of miles to bring it here and we'll fix it.

Having said all that - the light will probably go on tomorrow :rolleyes: :LOL:.

Places that do remapping of engines can switch the add blue sensor of so it always thinks it is full. I know someone who has had it done to his transit van

Won't a vehicle running without Adblue fail emmsions test at MOT time though? Afterall the Adblue is there to reduce emissions.

(also think about the children ;))

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Won't a vehicle running without Adblue fail emmsions test at MOT time though? Afterall the Adblue is there to reduce emissions.

(also think about the children ;))
I don't think actual emissions are tested on diesels, only smoke, and I doubt any of our vehicles produces anything meaningful in that regard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back