AdBlue... anyone? (33 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Does anyone use AdBlue?

If you do, do you know how much benefit it provides?

It's injected into the exhaust, right, so it has no effect of the engine, performance or fuel economy whatsoever. It basically converts "some" nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

I just bought 10 litres for £33

That's more than twice the price of diesel... and it's two-thirds water. The other third is urea - urine... pee... wee-wee... I'm trying to use the less offensive words... it is actually dilute urine and I'm paying twice what I pay for diesel. And I have no idea how effective it is but I do know that I'll burn more diesel to haul 10Kg of dilute p*ss around. I must be mad.

What's annoyed me is that the spout wasn't long enough to open the anti-spill device in the filler so I had to make my own spout up. What a faff!

Even then, the spout isn't long enough to get the last 50cc from the container into the filler!

I don't think I'll be buying AdBlue on the road again.

Strikes me as the sort of thing the petro-chemical companies figure they can make a killing on and some dozy politician decides they can make their name on and in fact it does no good whatsoever. But I could be wrong - please enlighten me :)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Is the ratio of Wynns to Adblue (50ml to 10L) a recommendation from Wynns?

thanks
The larger bottle of Wynns holds 500ml, it says in the instructions '"one 500ml bottle treats 45-75 litres of Adblue"
maths is not my strong point, but as I have some containers marked up with 25ml and 50ml I concluded that 50ml to 10L was about right.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The larger bottle of Wynns holds 500ml, it says in the instructions '"one 500ml bottle treats 45-75 litres of Adblue"
maths is not my strong point, but as I have some containers marked up with 25ml and 50ml I concluded that 50ml to 10L was about right.
That looks a bit on the shy side. Should be 70ml to 10L.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yeah but 10 litres of AdBlue will last considerably longer than 10 litres of diesel. The comparison in price isn’t relevant. You will get probably 3000 miles from that 10 litres. Wish I could get 3000 miles from 10 litres of diesel.
We have been doing some figures on LWB Transit minibuses.
Which are broadly similar to many Motorhomes.

It seems around 20 litres of AdBlu gets you about 10 fuel refills.
A tank on a transit gets you about 400 miles (if you are lucky, with the wind behind you)
Perhaps for calculation purposes work on 3 tanks gets you 1,000 miles.
10 tanks would be around 3,500 miles
or
VERY roughly six liters of AdBlue per thousand miles.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back