AdBlue... anyone? (33 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Does anyone use AdBlue?

If you do, do you know how much benefit it provides?

It's injected into the exhaust, right, so it has no effect of the engine, performance or fuel economy whatsoever. It basically converts "some" nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

I just bought 10 litres for £33

That's more than twice the price of diesel... and it's two-thirds water. The other third is urea - urine... pee... wee-wee... I'm trying to use the less offensive words... it is actually dilute urine and I'm paying twice what I pay for diesel. And I have no idea how effective it is but I do know that I'll burn more diesel to haul 10Kg of dilute p*ss around. I must be mad.

What's annoyed me is that the spout wasn't long enough to open the anti-spill device in the filler so I had to make my own spout up. What a faff!

Even then, the spout isn't long enough to get the last 50cc from the container into the filler!

I don't think I'll be buying AdBlue on the road again.

Strikes me as the sort of thing the petro-chemical companies figure they can make a killing on and some dozy politician decides they can make their name on and in fact it does no good whatsoever. But I could be wrong - please enlighten me :)

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Never had a problem getting adblue into our 2022 Ducato PVC. Uses very little when light comes on I buy a 10 litre pack from the next fuel station and that fills it up. No spills no waste and no carrying around Adblue just in case!

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I understand that the Adblu tank on a Ducato is 19 litres capacity.

We bimble along. Avoid toll roads, rarely use motorways. Our Adblu usage is really meagre. Don't know if blatting along at 70mph on motorways increases consumption. I presume that it does. I fill up once in a while, when I see it cheap at a filling station. Never waited for the low Adblu warning to appear.

I suspect a combination of irregular use, short journeys, and high speed motorway dashes, all contribute to high Adblu usage.

As an aside, We've done just over 5,000 miles in the last 12 weeks. According to our trip computer I've averaged 36.1 mpg in our 2.3 diesel 140hp PVC. It's taken us some amazing places during that trip, including the Sognefjellet Pass ("Roof of Europe"), the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe in Norway, and the Lofoten Islands. Now heading south. Currently in Gothenburg, Sweden. I've now just topped up with Adblu without waiting for the dashboard message.

I've been averaging about 27 mpg for my last trip - essentially point to point - but then I've been driving at 75 mph. On that basis it looks like 5l/1000 miles, give or take.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
lokking to buy
Does anyone use AdBlue?

It's injected into the exhaust, right, so it has no effect of the engine, performance or fuel economy whatsoever. It basically converts "some" nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

That's more than twice the price of diesel... and it's two-thirds water. The other third is urea - urine... pee... wee-wee... I'm trying to use the less offensive words... it is actually dilute urine and I'm paying twice what I pay for diesel. And I have no idea how effective it is but I do know that I'll burn more diesel to haul 10Kg of dilute p*ss around. I must be mad.

What's annoyed me is that the spout wasn't long enough to open the anti-spill device in the filler so I had to make my own spout up. What a faff!

Even then, the spout isn't long enough to get the last 50cc from the container into the filler!

Strikes me as the sort of thing the petro-chemical companies figure they can make a killing on and some dozy politician decides they can make their name on and in fact it does no good whatsoever. But I could be wrong - please enlighten me :)
Just wait until the injection system goes awry. Even main dealers appear stumped. I am struggling with Citroen and the technology is pretty much for same on all ad blue systems . Warning lights galore and financial distress follows. I wouldn’t touch a modern diesel system again on a car and fortunately I couldn’t afford a modern motorhome using that technology. I’m buying 20 year old motorhome !

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Never mind the Price of adblu, just wait till the system itself starts conking out bit by bit!!
Mrs Westys euro6 Citroen has had faults with it, new injector/ wiring etc
I know it’s a different game but all our big machines at work are always having expensive problems with it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Never mind the Price of adblu, just wait till the system itself starts conking out bit by bit!!
Mrs Westys euro6 Citroen has had faults with it, new injector/ wiring etc
I know it’s a different game but all our big machines at work are always having expensive problems with it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
... and is it an MoT fail if it's faulty??

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Does anyone use AdBlue?

The most we've paid in 6 years, at the pump was 72p a litre. Have tried buying it over the counter but have struggled to pour it into the tank without spilling half of it ;)

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Yes

It stops you poisoning my grandchildren.
No offence but your grandchildren have much more pressing issues to deal with other than adblu vehicles, like terrorism, dodgy elections, mad people in high places, high taxation, low pensions all these will ruin/end the world before we run out of clean air, and the worse thing is, we can’t seem to do anything about it🤷‍♂️😔😔

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
In Germany it Varies but most big Supermarkets have it and the baumarkts, Toom, Obi, etc.....usually around 10€ for 10litres ....I dont carry any spare, its readily available and you have a good 1000km once it tells you to top up

Ducato 140 with 9 speed auto 2023....17000km in 12 months, adblue is consistent with 10ltr per 2500km

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
In Germany it Varies but most big Supermarkets have it and the baumarkts, Toom, Obi, etc.....usually around 10€ for 10litres ....I dont carry any spare, its readily available and you have a good 1000km once it tells you to top up

Ducato 140 with 9 speed auto 2023....17000km in 12 months, adblue is consistent with 10ltr per 2500km
Similar ballpark. Ducato 140 2.3 2021, manual. I estimate about 10 l per 3000-3200 km.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No offence but your grandchildren have much more pressing issues to deal with other than adblu vehicles, like terrorism, dodgy elections, mad people in high places, high taxation, low pensions all these will ruin/end the world before we run out of clean air, and the worse thing is, we can’t seem to do anything about it🤷‍♂️😔😔
I agree there are more pressing issues than AdBlue vehicles, anyway it is the non AdBlue ones that are poisoning my grandchildren. Mad people in high places and world politics do worry me to the core. I think the world will survive but whether we do is another matter. However we still have to do our best for our children and our children’s children, it is built into us genetically to protect them.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our Citroen car at seven years old has just cost us £1400 to have the AdBlue system replaced. It crystallised up the main tank and injector.
It’ll fail the MOT with the warning lights on and will stop, refusing to start after 700 miles but the system can be deleted and it’s not checked during MOT so will pass.
The problem with that is that it’s illegal to use it, though getting caught isn’t very likely at the moment, things may change.
Our car barely uses AdBlue so it sat in the tank a long time, far longer than the recommended shelf life time, it’ll crystalise with age.
My new regime is to drain it out once a year and use Wynns anti crystalline additive with new AdBlue, which it has in now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Our Citroen car at seven years old has just cost us £1400 to have the AdBlue system replaced. It crystallised up the main tank and injector.
It’ll fail the MOT with the warning lights on and will stop, refusing to start after 700 miles but the system can be deleted and it’s not checked during MOT so will pass.
The problem with that is that is illegal to use it, though getting caught isn’t very likely at the moment, things may change.
Our car barely uses AdBlue so it sat in the tank a long time, far longer than the recommended shelf life time.
My new regime is to drain it out once a year and use Wynns anti crystalline additive with new AdBlue, which it has in now.
Mrs Westys Citroen was 7 yrs old too when it started with the adblu problems!! We got away light with around £500ish👍

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
... and is it an MoT fail if it's faulty??
yes.
You left out the 'nuclear fallout'

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
If you don't want Adblue, fine, you have several choices.

Break the law and get it mapped out.

Sell and buy an older motorhome.

Sell and find a petrol motorhome.

Sell and find an electric motorhome.

Or just stick it on a seasonal pitch.

See, loads of choices.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
For information, to all funsters using Ad blue equipped engines, it is well worth the time to watch Jimmy O'Reilly, the mobile mechanic on YouTube. He has an extensive knowledge of how it all works and has often solved issues that appear beyond the ken of dealerships. He may be able to help you with your issues.

Further, I've recently started to use Wynns Crystal clear in the Ad Blue tank. Prevention rather than cure as it were.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
The problem with that is that it’s illegal to use it, though getting caught isn’t very likely at the moment, things may change.
Our car barely uses AdBlue so it sat in the tank a long time, far longer than the recommended shelf life time, it’ll crystalise with age.
So, you were misadvised to get a diesel car.

You needed a petrol one.

There was a whole scandal a number of years back of people being sold diesels who did very low miles, and for whom diesel was the wrong choice.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
So, you were misadvised to get a diesel car.

You needed a petrol one.

There was a whole scandal a number of years back of people being sold diesels who did very low miles, and for whom diesel was the wrong choice.
I wasn’t advised at all by anyone to get a diesel car, I make my own mind up and am responsible for myself and my own decisions.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We always fill up in mainland Europe where it is much cheaper, have always used pumps, could not be bother with containers. Word of warning, they have two different type of pump nozzles, one for cars which needs the tip of the filling nozzle to be pushed back when inserted to allow flow. It does not work in my 40l tank. I need to use the specific truck filling points which is normally a little cheaper.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back