A new adventure to Africa

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Good morning from a foggy Monday morning in the UK! I'm really enjoying reading your posts about your adventures in Morocco, and seeing the lovely photos! I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of your trip, and look forward to hearing more on your travels! We've visited (and loved) Marrakech several times but not in the motorhome - perhaps one day we'll venture down to Morocco. Happy travels!🌞

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Important thread update!

500ml cans of 5% Sagres & Royal Dutch lager are 200 dirham/£1.55 at Agadir Carrefour. Moroccan beers are cheaper still.

View attachment 859814
In some places. Those crazy Geordies I was travelling with last year were paying €4 per stumpy can during Ramadan. And driving miles sometimes to get it. I'm glad I'm not a big drinker

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There is not much to see in Sidi ifni and you would probably be better in the campsites in the lower part of town rather than the top campsite on the clifftop that we were in ,if you want to surf.( closer to the beach).
Ps on the way to Sidi ifni is Legzira where the arch is on the beach. It's just a morning or afternoon stop off. No places to stop over really. Its a nice beach with some cafes.
(y)https://maps.app.goo.gl/MfuohvDmiw4J7gCaA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
There is not much to see in Sidi ifni and you would probably be better in the campsites in the lower part of town rather than the top campsite on the clifftop that we were in ,if you want to surf.( closer to the beach).
(y)

We’re at the Camping El Barco right on the beach so we’ve easy access to the surf. First impressions from our walk yesterday were pretty good. Some lovely old buildings with a dilapidated charm to them. They must date from colonial times.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We’re at the Camping El Barco right on the beach so we’ve easy access to the surf. First impressions from our walk yesterday were pretty good. Some lovely old buildings with a dilapidated charm to them. They must date from colonial times.
Yes , some of the buildings , especially those on top of the cliffs are spanish and even some " newer: ones still have a Spanish look about them. There is a lighthouse on top.with a good walk up the terraces where the cafes and restaraunts are. Behind and up from el Barco. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
So we had an interesting drive yesterday from Sidi Ouassay along the coast road which was single lane and rather bumpy tarmac through landscapes with a desolate kind of beauty only spoiled by the usual piles of rubbish some way out of the towns which then ends up blown across the countryside. It's what I'm finding hardest to accept about Morocco. They don't seem to have a waste management system and no one seems to make any effort at all to contain rubbish to one place. It just gets dropped anywhere. Countryside, beaches etc.
1000010429.jpg
1000010434.jpg
1000010436.jpg
1000010437.jpg
1000010441.jpg

We stopped for lunch in Mirleft and had thought about overnighting there but recent reports of park4night spots have said police move you on and the only campsite in town was a tiny little walled place that was not really suitable for us and claustrophobic. Didn't really look like a great place for accessing the beach easily either so moved on.

Glad we did as we immediately liked the feel of Sidi Ifni. Parked right on the front in Camping El Barco and went for a wander along the beach and up the terraces. Some nice architecture and landscaping up there in the town. It's got a charming, faded grandeur vibe with nice wide streets (very little traffic) and the sea one side and hills as a backdrop make for some nice vistas.
1000010450.jpg
1000010446.jpg
1000010447.jpg
1000010458.jpg
1000010460.jpg
1000010464.jpg
1000010467.jpg
1000010465.jpg
1000010451.jpg

Then we watched 6 body boarders catching waves at high tide and enjoyed the sunset and another BBQ dorado for dinner.
1000010471.jpg

This morning we decided to have a look at the other campsite that's right on the beach and whilst 1st impressions were that it was a packed, dusty carpark when you went round the corner there was a nice row of spaces along the seafront wall which has 'windows' in it. A few people had just left so some premium spots were open and we bagged one. Really good WiFi at the van, unlike the other campsite and also sunny all day and more private than the other campsite. Also 10dh cheaper.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Ok it's official we're now in paradise! Been for our 1st proper surf. Only managed a couple of long rides as no surf fitness and I got stuck in the clean up set which sent me back in and my calf muscles starting cramping from the unusual activity of kicking with fins on.

There is a really cool viewing platform 3 spaces along from our pitch where you can sit and watch the surfers and sunset and we were practising our french with a nice couple and made friends with the campsite cat.

The weather is just utterly glorious and the views across the town and campsite are brilliant too. So glad we moved campsite.
PXL_20240129_155650044.jpg
PXL_20240129_154753240.jpg
PXL_20240129_154458355.jpg

You can see our van the one with pulse on the side. There are windows in the wall so you still have a bit of a view from the pitch.
PXL_20240129_155636687.jpg
PXL_20240129_155709232.jpg
PXL_20240129_161455607.jpg
PXL_20240129_160454056.jpg
PXL_20240129_161655658.jpg
PXL_20240129_163127959.jpg
PXL_20240129_163140428.jpg

Paul always loves to help others by taking their photo.
PXL_20240129_163158778.jpg
PXL_20240129_164530149.jpg
PXL_20240129_170742098.jpg

Going out for dinner now.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Morning all. We have landed in Seville at last! Yesterday we woke to a grey, drizzly day in the Basque region so skipped our original idea of a walk and just grabbed a few supplies from the local Lidl. Not our supermarket of choice but the Carrefour had height barriers (reinforcing my non motorhome friendly vibe)

It was actually a pretty nice Lidl and I do like the fact that whatever country you are in the layout is the same so it does make for a quick and easy shop. Plus they always have products of the country you are in, so to feel like we were actually in Spain we picked up some manchego, lovely purple beefsteak tomatoes, iberico ham and some boquerones.

After checking the forecast for Seville we found that wed was going to be warm but cloudy and Thursday is rain all day then turning brighter but cooler the rest of the week so we calculated that we could get to a park up 40km from Seville if we spent the day driving and hopefully get a dry day to wander around and get some much needed leg stretching.

Most of the drive was grey, very windy and through very boring agricultural land but eventually the landscape became more interesting with rugid, rock strewn hills and craggy mountains and then we started to see miles and miles of rolling, managed pasture covered with the classic Holm oaks (we have a young one in our garden at home and it had it's first acorn this year) This is in the Extramedura region of Spain and these pastures are known as La Dehesa.

As avid foodies we were quite excited to see a couple of herds of fat black pigs (the Iberian pig) which feed on the Holm oak acorns and become the iconic product that Spain is so proud of. I did a bit of buffing up online about the various hams and was reminded that the pigs we had just seen roaming free range and eating exclusively acorns give you the Ibèrico de Bellota. Hopefully we will get to taste this in Seville today.

The drive was 500 miles and about 2 hrs from our destination the landscape changed again and became much drier with olives, oranges and palms and we were treated to the most spectacular candy floss skies that kept changing to deeper oranges and reds as we drove on directly into the sunset. I couldn't get a good pic but this one is a bit arty.

View attachment 850674

It really brightened my mood as I was itching for that feeling of actually being in a different climate.

We arrived at the park up at 8pm and it was supposed be a scenic spot over looking a reservoir but almost immediately after turning off the small country road there was a low stone bridge/ tunnel. As we approached I said to Paul 'that looks low shall I jump out?' and he said no we'll be fine. Well we got 6m in (very slowly) and then heard a faint noise. Panic ensued and we crept back out and I jumped out with the torch. I could see the tiniest of marks from ground level so we had been very very lucky.

Paul was quite upset with himself but really he was just so ultra focused on getting us to our spot after a massive drive and it was a useful reminder that tiredness can lead to poor judgement.

View attachment 850679
Just shaved the paint off 🫣

We stayed the night next to some bins in a very quiet layby and it was a gorgeous, starry night and not a breath of wind which is so welcome as it has been so windy at home the last few months.
View attachment 850681

Up early and we had a half hour drive and are now settled in an aire by the port. It's very industrial but gated and serviced at 14e a night and the sun has just come out which was unexpected so we are off to explore!
We stayed at the same aire by the port in September. Feels a bit "iffy" as you drive down past the qypsy camp by the road bridge but pretty secure and reallt easy access to Seville. What a fantastic city. Enjoy your trip and will follow with interest.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We stayed at the same aire by the port in September. Feels a bit "iffy" as you drive down past the qypsy camp by the road bridge but pretty secure and reallt easy access to Seville. What a fantastic city. Enjoy your trip and will follow with interest.
Yes we were just telling a french couple about that Aire as they said they didn't stop in Seville as couldn't find anywhere to stay. We managed to explain in rudimentary french that it's looks 'well dodgy' when you drive in but gets better once inside and very safe.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Fortress Boujeriffe to Borj Biramane
If you can catch the camel market in Guelmim on a Saturday its truly a sight to see
There's parking right across the road from it

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
If you can catch the camel market in Guelmim on a Saturday its truly a sight to see
There's parking right across the road from it
We had tea with a nomad yesterday who said that there aren't a lot of camels being traded at the moment because there have been no rains for several years so it's too expensive to feed the camels. 🤷 Not sure we'll be there on a Saturday but if so we'll see...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Yes we were just telling a french couple about that Aire as they said they didn't stop in Seville as couldn't find anywhere to stay. We managed to explain in rudimentary french that it's looks 'well dodgy' when you drive in but gets better once inside and very safe.
I found a lovely quiet street right next to the Palace in seville ... a little known secret .

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Lazing about in the shade of the van this afternoon as it's so hot and I've come across a fascinating article about Sidi Ifni if anyone is interested.
I think it's changed already since this was written in 2019 as we are seeing quite a lot of tourists here and plenty of different nationalities though maybe that depends on what time of year you visit.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We stayed on the marina aire in Seville. A bus stop outside and a short ride in to the main Square area.

Likes collected
Funster No
Lazing about in the shade of the van this afternoon as it's so hot and I've come across a fascinating article about Sidi Ifni if anyone is interested.
I think it's changed already since this was written in 2019 as we are seeing quite a lot of tourists here and plenty of different nationalities though maybe that depends on what time of year you visit.

The museum of Resistance and Liberation which is on the road more or less next to the municipal camping at the top of the market is interesting ( and free)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
So we had an interesting drive yesterday from Sidi Ouassay along the coast road which was single lane and rather bumpy tarmac through landscapes with a desolate kind of beauty only spoiled by the usual piles of rubbish some way out of the towns which then ends up blown across the countryside. It's what I'm finding hardest to accept about Morocco. They don't seem to have a waste management system and no one seems to make any effort at all to contain rubbish to one place. It just gets dropped anywhere. Countryside, beaches etc.
View attachment 859903View attachment 859904View attachment 859905View attachment 859906View attachment 859907
We stopped for lunch in Mirleft and had thought about overnighting there but recent reports of park4night spots have said police move you on and the only campsite in town was a tiny little walled place that was not really suitable for us and claustrophobic. Didn't really look like a great place for accessing the beach easily either so moved on.

Glad we did as we immediately liked the feel of Sidi Ifni. Parked right on the front in Camping El Barco and went for a wander along the beach and up the terraces. Some nice architecture and landscaping up there in the town. It's got a charming, faded grandeur vibe with nice wide streets (very little traffic) and the sea one side and hills as a backdrop make for some nice vistas.
View attachment 859918View attachment 859923View attachment 859928View attachment 859929View attachment 859930View attachment 859931View attachment 859932View attachment 859933View attachment 859934
Then we watched 6 body boarders catching waves at high tide and enjoyed the sunset and another BBQ dorado for dinner.
View attachment 859937
This morning we decided to have a look at the other campsite that's right on the beach and whilst 1st impressions were that it was a packed, dusty carpark when you went round the corner there was a nice row of spaces along the seafront wall which has 'windows' in it. A few people had just left so some premium spots were open and we bagged one. Really good WiFi at the van, unlike the other campsite and also sunny all day and more private than the other campsite. Also 10dh cheaper.
What was the name of the other campsite you moved to please?

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Bit of a dusty, windy day in Sidi Infinity today so after a walk at low tide over the rocks we mostly chilled out in the van with all the windows shut and just popped out for some lunch. In honour of the Spanish influence here had a siesta too 🤣
1000010525.jpg

Think I need to leave Morocco soon or I'm not going to be able to resist the puppies much longer. There are very few dogs here in Sidi Ifni but this gorgeous young girl hopped in to say hello. Offered her some food but she only had a nibble and then got distracted by someone's chocolate lab and went zooming off after them. Phew.
1000010538.jpg

Went for another surf and then packed up the van ready for departure tomorrow morning.
1000010535.jpg

Oh and the golden hour here can't be beaten.
1000010507.jpg
1000010508.jpg
1000010509.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Bit of a dusty, windy day in Sidi Infinity today so after a walk at low tide over the rocks we mostly chilled out in the van with all the windows shut and just popped out for some lunch. In honour of the Spanish influence here had a siesta too 🤣
View attachment 860797
Think I need to leave Morocco soon or I'm not going to be able to resist the puppies much longer. There are very few dogs here in Sidi Ifni but this gorgeous young girl hopped in to say hello. Offered her some food but she only had a nibble and then got distracted by someone's chocolate lab and went zooming off after them. Phew.
View attachment 860798
Went for another surf and then packed up the van ready for departure tomorrow morning.
View attachment 860799
Oh and the golden hour here can't be beaten.
View attachment 860801View attachment 860802View attachment 860803
The puppy pictures didn't post

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Lovely photos again, thank you. The stray dogs in Morocco would break my heart. I am following the story of the missing monkey (a Japanese Macaque) who escaped from a wildlife park in Scotland. I am so worried he is going to get killed after spending his life in captivity he has no awareness of the dangers in the real world:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back