OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Have the same little Weber as you and they are brilliant little things. Have cooked all sorts and with the lid shut used it like the oven😁if only the Dometic van oven was as good, or should I say any good 😁😁
Yeah it's great having the weather and longer daylight for using the BBQ as the gas oven seems to take ages and cook everything on one side too much.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Lasted one night in car park camping. Amazing spot for watching the surfers and sunset but loud sea and other noises meant a slightly disturbed night and I'm getting too fond of a lovely boy dog who we've fed and watered. He's absolutely gorgeous and really affectionate. When we shut up the van he sat outside and guarded us for a few hrs. Came back in the morning but wasn't hungry and just wanted head rubs.

There's also a litter of 7 small pups with their mum down near the beach. Someone has made them a little nest in some rocks with a blanket as a roof and we took them lots of water and food and saw others doing the same.

Lots of traders coming by the van here too so hard to relax or read a book. Bought some gorgeous looking honey though for 60dh for a massive jar.

We've spent a week in 3 locations around Taghazoute now so time to move further South as we are half way through our trip now, having 2.5 weeks left.
PXL_20240125_111631193.jpg
PXL_20240125_144713842.jpg
PXL_20240125_124705452.jpg
PXL_20240125_124722902.jpg
PXL_20240125_163237396.jpg
PXL_20240125_164122041.jpg
PXL_20240125_170247466.jpg
PXL_20240125_174920254.jpg
PXL_20240125_175550451.jpg
PXL_20240126_093158151.jpg

1000010363.jpg

PXL_20240125_111635009.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Dodgy campsite WiFi so bare with pics and edits. Paul also has some really stunning pics of Anchor point to put up.

Yesterday we stopped in Agadir for topping up phone credit, taking out cash and restocking the fridge with fresh food. Agadir seems huge and not somewhere I would choose to holiday but useful for the above. Found a good covered market selling some really nice produce with tasters and smiles from sellers. Crazy cheap fruit and veg again. Got huge bag of clems, green beans, lots of baby aubergine and courgettes, green peppers, spring onions, tomatoes and his mum's homemade citrus jam. Decided to try the Mergez sausages as they will keep well in the fridge for a bit. Fish counter was sparce so left that (we're getting very fussy now with the amazing fish selection out here)

We got the rest of our supplies in the very posh and shiny Carre four. We bought a pair of beautiful pageot which is part of the sea bream family and a new fish for us. We also had our first raw oysters! We saw some people enjoying them right by the fish counter and at 64 pence we couldn't resist. They were super fresh and really refreshing with a squeeze of lemon.
1000010364.jpg

Then on to Sidi Wassay and another campsite.
Driving in this town seemed desserted. Quite unusual as other Moroccan towns have all been very buzzing.

Got a place one row back from the seafront row but still a seaview from the pitch. Small pitch and like beach camping as it's on sand. Very quiet and chilled vibe.

Went for a walk down the beach and there were lots of Morrocan families enjoying their Friday afternoon. It's a beautiful long and wild feeling beach here.
1000010368.jpg

1000010370.jpg

We slept very well after a yummy BBQ and couple of g and t s!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Did you get a surf in. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Did you get a surf in. 👍
We had a couple of goes from camping terre d ocean but it wasn't great conditions and packed with learners on long boards. Not ideal for body board. It's been really quite small surf lately. Then at anchor point it's all the hot shots and the main wave is off the rocks...looked too much for us. Here at Sidi Wassay isn't safe apparently (strong currents) still hoping we'll find some surf at Sidi iffni but not fussed if not. The sea was lovely and warm when we did get in though.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I must say I could get used to campsite life in Morocco especially if the weather is like this.
1000010395.jpg

Dozed off by the pool after reading my book. Pool is chilly but I managed a good 20 lengths and then watching the swallows swooping and dipping in for a drink was delightful.
1000010399.jpg
1000010410.jpg

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I’d wanted to come to Anchor Point for many years. Couldn’t believe that we could overnight right by it for 20MAD. Got a couple of surfs in nearby and could sit and watch from the van too.

Sunrise surf check
IMG_1083.jpeg

Aiming for the barrel
IMG_1022.jpeg

Almost made it!
IMG_1010.jpeg

Wishful thinking…
IMG_1048.jpeg

Park up with a view to die for
IMG_1039.jpeg

Beach cruising
IMG_1071.jpeg

Sunset surfers
IMG_1069.jpeg

Sunset from the van
IMG_1077.jpeg

Heading south from Sidi Ouassay tomorrow. Another few days on the coast before we head inland.

Cheers, Paul

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Pics from our morning walk along the cliffs. There were several piles of rubble where dwellings had been bull dozed recently and we met a very friendly guy who works at the nature reserve and told us his cave house at the other end had been knocked down. His father had built it so it was over 40 years old but all unofficial I believe. He repeated what we had heard that it's happening all up the coast. He mentioned the world cup being partly to blame. Making way for more hotels perhaps?

There were lots of fisherman and women collecting mussels.

1000010378.jpg
1000010381.jpg
1000010385.jpg
1000010387.jpg
1000010389.jpg
1000010394.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Some pics from the last couple of days after our big drive from Marrakesh and a pit stop at Carrefour in Agadir.

View attachment 857084

Absolutely beautiful beach with very little litter to be seen.

View attachment 857085

View attachment 857086

Sunset from the park up above town. Our van is bottom right. Only 20MAD per night parked up with other kindred spirits.
The caravan to the left of the pic is used to store food and water for the strays and their puppies. We’ve given Hakim who looks after them some money to buy supplies.

View attachment 857087

It wouldn’t take much for Helen to take one home… I’ve put my foot down!

View attachment 857088

The view north from the park up towards Anchor Point which is a world famous surf spot. I’ve wanted to surf it for over 20 years! Shame it’s a bit flat.

Helen has had a head cold for a couple of days so I’ve been exploring Taghazout and buying a gas bottle & burner as I’m trying to limit our gas usage. 2 x 11kg of Gaslow seems to be lasting very well though but we’ve been n hook up for most of the time.
My new purchase means we’ll go off grid a bit more now.

View attachment 857093

100MAD for the burner & bottle. Can run the BBQ off it too.

View attachment 857094

It’s a really lovely village.

View attachment 857095

View attachment 857096

View attachment 857097

View attachment 857098

View attachment 857099

Some more pics of the park up which is a dead end so no through traffic.

View attachment 857100

View attachment 857101

Sunset from the park up is nice!

View attachment 857103

Helen’s feeling better today so a lovely beach walk then some lunch.

View attachment 857102
That's the same carpark in tagazhout that the 2 puppies we smuggled in to Spain came from.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Dodgy campsite WiFi so bare with pics and edits. Paul also has some really stunning pics of Anchor point to put up.

Yesterday we stopped in Agadir for topping up phone credit, taking out cash and restocking the fridge with fresh food. Agadir seems huge and not somewhere I would choose to holiday but useful for the above. Found a good covered market selling some really nice produce with tasters and smiles from sellers. Crazy cheap fruit and veg again. Got huge bag of clems, green beans, lots of baby aubergine and courgettes, green peppers, spring onions, tomatoes and his mum's homemade citrus jam. Decided to try the Mergez sausages as they will keep well in the fridge for a bit. Fish counter was sparce so left that (we're getting very fussy now with the amazing fish selection out here)

We got the rest of our supplies in the very posh and shiny Carre four. We bought a pair of beautiful pageot which is part of the sea bream family and a new fish for us. We also had our first raw oysters! We saw some people enjoying them right by the fish counter and at 64 pence we couldn't resist. They were super fresh and really refreshing with a squeeze of lemon.
View attachment 859265
Then on to Sidi Wassay and another campsite.
Driving in this town seemed desserted. Quite unusual as other Moroccan towns have all been very buzzing.

Got a place one row back from the seafront row but still a seaview from the pitch. Small pitch and like beach camping as it's on sand. Very quiet and chilled vibe.

Went for a walk down the beach and there were lots of Morrocan families enjoying their Friday afternoon. It's a beautiful long and wild feeling beach here.
View attachment 859267
View attachment 859268
We slept very well after a yummy BBQ and couple of g and t s!
Sidi ouassay is another favourite of ours, Im just catching up on the Wifi in Jaipur and was about to suggest it. Wondrrful beach and great views, Only downside its a bit remote. If you walk south along the headland when the tide is right in you get tunes played through the many blowholes in the rock.

Just be careful with EHU there, this is the one that had the big surge last year.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Sidi ouassay is another favourite of ours, Im just catching up on the Wifi in Jaipur and was about to suggest it. Wondrrful beach and great views, Only downside its a bit remote. If you walk south along the headland when the tide is right in you get tunes played through the many blowholes in the rock.

Just be careful with EHU there, this is the one that had the big surge last year.
Yeah tide was low when we walked around yesterday. Electric is really good here but Lenny HB helped us fit a voltage stabilizer before we came out. Moving on today as we are over halfway through our time here we need to get going to our furthest Southerly point and then head inland for a bit.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
That's the same carpark in tagazhout that the 2 puppies we smuggled in to Spain came from.
Paul and I were talking about that and trying to imagine doing it ourselves but just don't think we could go through that. Just the thought of having it taken off you if you got caught! Would be heart breaking. We decided we'll definitely go to Sara Morocco when we are ready to adopt as I've been looking at their website and Facebook and they have 70 plus dogs vaccinated and ready to go at any time. Any dog taken from them frees up a space for a new street dog is my rationale. They are looking after 1000 animals across 3 rescues. Definitely going to be setting up a regular donation too as they are clearly doing an amazing job out here.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Enjoying looking at your journey through Morocco, the pictures are great, have you been through any touristy areas and have you been harassed by the locals at all, looks like the campsites are nice. Enjoy the rest of your journey and look forward to seeing more of your photos. :giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
Is there a cogent reason in your head as to why you did that...?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Paul and I were talking about that and trying to imagine doing it ourselves but just don't think we could go through that. Just the thought of having it taken off you if you got caught! Would be heart breaking. We decided we'll definitely go to Sara Morocco when we are ready to adopt as I've been looking at their website and Facebook and they have 70 plus dogs vaccinated and ready to go at any time. Any dog taken from them frees up a space for a new street dog is my rationale. They are looking after 1000 animals across 3 rescues. Definitely going to be setting up a regular donation too as they are clearly doing an amazing job out here.
I admit it was a nerve wracking experience and they weren't even in my van ...but no one paid a blind bit of attention. Same coming in to Turkey no one looked at dogs ... x rayed my bloody van though

Likes collected
Funster No
I admit it was a nerve wracking experience and they weren't even in my van ...but no one paid a blind bit of attention. Same coming in to Turkey no one looked at dogs ... x rayed my bloody van though
What do you think they were looking for, weapons, drugs or something else?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
What do you think they were looking for, weapons, drugs or something else?
No idea ...I think choosing a Sunday morning to enter turkey was a bad idea , I was the only motorhome there the rest were cars so they were obviously looking for work . Gave me a right runaround..
He did ask how much alcohol I had on board but wasn't interested in my 4 bottles of wine and 16 cans of beer .

I was just glad to get out of there in the end . Didn't help that my fuel light had came on as soon as I entered the motorway in Greece so I was running on fumes by the time I got through all the border stuff.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well after 4 restful nights and scorching days we have decided we better move on before we get too comfortable as it's so luxurious here.

Yesterday we went out for a bike ride up the hill above the campsite and discovered a tiny village at the top with some caves.
View attachment 858411View attachment 858412
It seemed absolutely deserted but upon peering into the darkness I found an elderly man inside making pottery. The next cave over had obviously been used for firing.
View attachment 858413View attachment 858414
Road through the village and down towards Tagazoute with some stunning views all the way down the coast. Only got chased by one pack of barking dogs defending their territory.
View attachment 858415View attachment 858416View attachment 858417
We grabbed a few supplies in Tagazoute then managed to find an off road, cliff side track back along the coast, checking out several famous surf spots along the way.
View attachment 858418View attachment 858419View attachment 858420
It's been really hot in the afternoons and evenings so we have enjoyed lazing about and reading then having a beer with our new friends, John and Mike, the detectorists who we 1st met back in Oualidia.

We've had some really good home cooked meals too as it's so much easier on a campsite with plenty of water on hand for washing the mountains of dishes I produce.

We were especially pleased to bag an enormous bonito from the fish guy. It weighed 2kgs and is mostly meat with large easily removed bones. I marinated it Asian style then seared It on the Weber. It made a dinner and enough left for 'tuna' sandwiches for lunch.
View attachment 858425
A bit of fun playing with magic eraser as Paul didn't like the face he was pulling squinting into the sun 🤣
View attachment 858426
A veggie biryani
View attachment 858427
Breakfasts of kings
View attachment 858428View attachment 858429
I can highly recommend these silicone cups for quick easy poached eggs on the road.
View attachment 858430
Anyway back to carpark camping tonight. Just down the road at the famous surf break Anchor point, which we discovered on our bike ride is ok to overnight.

I use those silicone cups in the microwave, never thought of using them in the van. Thanks for the tip.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
Yeah tide was low when we walked around yesterday. Electric is really good here but [B]Lenny HB helped us fit a voltage stabilizer before we came out. [/B]Moving on today as we are over halfway through our time here we need to get going to our furthest Southerly point and then head inland for a bit.
may I ask what voltage stabilizer you fitted ?

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Enjoying looking at your journey through Morocco, the pictures are great, have you been through any touristy areas and have you been harassed by the locals at all, looks like the campsites are nice. Enjoy the rest of your journey and look forward to seeing more of your photos. :giggle:
Yes most of the areas we have been are touristy... especially the bigger places like Marrakech, Essaouira and Taghazoute and then all the campsites are for tourists. When you say harassed what do you mean exactly? Moroccans need the tourists to make money so there are people trying to sell you things in most places but not over the top 99 percent of the time if you smile and say no thanks they move on. Just a few who are obviously a bit desperate and you need to say no a few times before they get the message. You get used to it after awhile and when you see how poor the country is and how harsh life appears to be here you can't begrudge them wanting a sale from the rich tourists.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Sollatek AVS30 bought direct from their website for about £80. Apparently there are some fakes on eBay & Amazon.
You can set the parameters really easily on it as the 3 way fridges don’t like going below 200V.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Sollatek AVS30 bought direct from their website for about £80. Apparently there are some fakes on eBay & Amazon.
You can set the parameters really easily on it as the 3 way fridges don’t like going below 200V.
It not a voltage stabiliser it is a protection unit protects against over & under voltage and has surge protection.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
It not a voltage stabiliser it is a protection unit protects against over & under voltage and has surge protection.
Hopefully one day we will have got our heads round all this technical stuff with your help 🍻

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
So I’ve been planning a rough route for us after we’ve had a surf stop in Sidi Ifni.
Any input on this would be appreciated;

Sidi Ifni to Fortress Boujeriffe

Fortress Boujeriffe to Borj Biramane

Borj Biramane to Tafraoute on R107

Tafraoute towards Zagora driving some of the way on the P1805 as it’s meant to be a stunning drive

Zagora to Merzouga to experience the Sahara desert proper

Merzouga towards either Todgha Gorge or Ziz Canyon

Todgha Gorge/Ziz Canyon to Meknes, maybe stop en route for an overnight in Azrou

Meknes to Moulay Idris & Volubilis

Then on towards Chefchaouen

Cheers, Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back