A letter to clubs about site prices (1 Viewer)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'm staying at Moffat C&CC site next weekend, £40/night. I checked the same dates for Camping Sandaya, Maisons Laffitte, Paris, an all singing and dancing campsite I use in the summer. Only €35/night.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are off here for the Bank Holiday weekend so can’t grumble at CMC prices .

I always predicted a financial reckoning would have to be paid for the pandemic and we have it in all its glory everywhere .
They were just finishing it off when we visited, rediculas price it's not much more than a car park and most of the pitches are on a steep slope.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Bristol‘s Baltic Wharf has dramatically increased to the point we won’t pay, even though it’s where our son lives. Most baffling is that it’s closing down, apart from day to day costs there is no investment on the site that benefits the customer and therefore would be a justification.
Also they ask us not to use the EHU if we are self sufficient but offer no incentive.
Lastly if energy is such a big factor surely there is considerably less consumption in the summer, so how do they explain the price rises and what proportion is made up of anticipated energy consumption?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We're members of CCC, we haven't found any particular rise in prices, being over 60 we get the ACR (age concession rate), so from a purely personal perspective the prices are ok.

Recently spent two nights at their Folkestone Club site for £17.50 a night (no EHU needed), so can't complain at that.

Someone mentions £40 a night? I just wouldn't pay that.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
My theory based upon my thoughts and without scientific input is...
Energy costs are an overhead and must be covered. However, they will soon start to fall.
Wages - I don't know many full time employees who have had decent pay rises. And given that most campsites only have a small number of staff, even a couple of pounds an hour extra won't account for the huge increases in site fees.
Covid / lockdown - Businesses across the board have put prices up to try to recoup losses incurred during covid. An extremely dangerous game to play, as you'll get away with it short term, but suffer later.
Campsites had it good during covid. Slam the prices up to accommodate increased demand from the "covid campers". However, more are now returning to the Med and further afield.

We are now in back in both "clubs". She (the CFO) rejoined the CMC earlier this year. However, on principle I'll be canceling at least one of them - not paying around £100 to be in the clubs

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We are off here for the Bank Holiday weekend so can’t grumble at CMC prices .

I always predicted a financial reckoning would have to be paid for the pandemic and we have it in all its glory everywhere .
wow, those are crazy prices !
And they don't allow dogs.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
I am at a CL at the moment for three nights. £20 per night + electric coin meter.( pay for what you use).
What about private site prices in the U.K., I am sure they would have put all there prices up also because of the price of electric etc. I priced up two in Devon where I lived and know the sites and in peak time both were about £55-£65 per night for two adults.

Last edited:
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
there is considerably less consumption in the summer, so how do they explain the price rises and what proportion is made up of anticipated energy consumption?
No electric heated hot water for you then?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I have used C&CC a fair bit. Just trying to do a bit of a comparison, on summer dates between last year and this year. Where prices have risen, and it's a fair jump, is if you have electric. OK so I get a singleton discount on pricing:

Bellingham, Northumberland - electric hardstanding July about 11% increase
Woodhall Spa, Lincs - electric hardstanding, August about 14% increase
But:
Graffham, Sussex - grass no electric about 1% decrease

Given the way we know energy costs have gone for any business use, it seems to me that C&CC have been working quite hard to keep their pricing in limits. Indeed some of the C&CC sites, if you go grass without electric, as a singleton, will be cheaper than many CS/CLs, and yet you get the amenities blocks on the C&CC sites. I was at Boroughbridge, Yorks in April this year for £11 a night which seems quite reasonable.

Never tried to be a member of the CAMC. Could never work out even a few years ago how much I might pay for a site, and even then it always seemed a lot more expensive than C&CC. Reading various posts over the years on MHF I have always thought it to be the CAMC that were acting as if they were a premium priced brand.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
I am a member of both clubs for convenience of area choice but mainly use CLs although still find some private sites for as little as £25 incl hook up and other facilities.
Main club sites are becoming a no no because of price.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I am currently in both but likely to leave the CAMC, prices are too high, rarely an option for non-electric, same price for awning and non-awning pitch, installing more full-service pitches at even higher cost.

I am likely to retain the C&CC, I like THSs, good options for non-electric when grass available, it would be nice if they had non-eclectric HS in the winter. I noticed that currently the difference between electric pitches and non-electric is coming out around £6pn, which is a lot more than I would use even accounting for the non-domestic tarrif.

Oct 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Globe car
Exp
Since 2009
I have used C&CC a fair bit. Just trying to do a bit of a comparison, on summer dates between last year and this year. Where prices have risen, and it's a fair jump, is if you have electric. OK so I get a singleton discount on pricing:

Bellingham, Northumberland - electric hardstanding July about 11% increase
Woodhall Spa, Lincs - electric hardstanding, August about 14% increase
But:
Graffham, Sussex - grass no electric about 1% decrease

Given the way we know energy costs have gone for any business use, it seems to me that C&CC have been working quite hard to keep their pricing in limits. Indeed some of the C&CC sites, if you go grass without electric, as a singleton, will be cheaper than many CS/CLs, and yet you get the amenities blocks on the C&CC sites. I was at Boroughbridge, Yorks in April this year for £11 a night which seems quite reasonable.

Never tried to be a member of the CAMC. Could never work out even a few years ago how much I might pay for a site, and even then it always seemed a lot more expensive than C&CC. Reading various posts over the years on MHF I have always thought it to be the CAMC that were acting as if they were a premium priced brand.
We wanted to go to York in early June but it was going to cost £44 a night so we are going to Oxford instead and will find a B&B for York. Can't remember which club it was sorry.

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Member of both for the last 20y. Still use them but looking to use less and more cls etc, just priced knaresbrough for a weekend in July and looking at £51 per night!!! Wow

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Member of both and probably won't renew next time.
I feel other options should be explored like optional leccy, more a way for them to "save money" instead of raising prices.... Especially as more and more people nowadays have lithium and solar set ups to cope themselves.
Even when I pull on sites these days I hardly ever plug in.

Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Joined CAMC this year and found that main sites are really expensive. So far this year we have stayed on private sites, pubs, wild and one CL. CAMC website was down late last night when we tried to look for something.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
There are some minor perks like the 20% discount in Mountain Warehouse for CAMC members. So if you spent about £275 in there your discount would cover your CAMC annual membership. Probably unlikely thata many members would spend that much but it's a way of getting some of your fee back if you buy a coat, walking boots etc. I think you can get a supermarket discount card as well but we already have one of those through my wife's trade union

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Been a member of CAMC for 23 years but only use a small number of sites. If they didn’t have Rowntree park open in the winter probably wouldn’t bother as can find alternatives for others cheaper. In the last few years it’s become more take than give & the introduction of metered electric will be the final straw for many winter campers.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I use a couple of the CMC minimum facility sites, as they are more reasonable. But the main sites are just too expensive. I have no use for washrooms, toilets, club rooms, children's facilities etc.
Even CLs and CSs are getting very pricy and mostly offer very little in the way of facilities.

Geoff

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
I am currently in both but likely to leave the CAMC, prices are too high, rarely an option for non-electric, same price for awning and non-awning pitch, installing more full-service pitches at even higher cost.

I am likely to retain the C&CC, I like THSs, good options for non-electric when grass available, it would be nice if they had non-eclectric HS in the winter. I noticed that currently the difference between electric pitches and non-electric is coming out around £6pn, which is a lot more than I would use even accounting for the non-domestic tarrif.
We will not be renewing CAMC membership when it’s due this year either.
Ridiculous prices !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back