2015 Hymer Exsis i 414 upgrade to Lithium, DCDCS charger/charge controller, inverter thread!! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
Hello All. I'm about to update the hab battery to lithium, charger, solar controller and inverter on my Hymer Exsis i414. My plan is to disable the EBL29 from charging the battery and replace it with a Renogy DCC50S (50A DC/DC Solar). I also plan to fit the Lithium battery in its original location (to the right hand side of the drivers seat where the door step would have been), which meant buying individual cells (280Ah) and a BMS. The inverter will just fit under the drivers seat, and intend to use that location for the busbars and fuses etc.

Would those of you in the know please look at my schematic and let me know if I've made any mistakes? I've spend hours going over this, but you never know what false information you pick up on the way.

I was thinking of using a Blue Sea Systems MRBF busbar fuse set up to reduce the footprint as space will be tight. What are your thoughts on these?

Why does the hab battery have to have a link to the starter battery (existing EBL has one), do I need one?

Do the fuse sizes look OK, I really appreciate your time looking at this for me. Cheers!
20240627_171259.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would use a 60 amp fuse from the B2B.

I have a Hymer Exsis, there are a few electrical gubbins under the drivers seat, a 2000w inverter is quite big. Are you sure you have the space with the bus bars as well?

There is a thread in my signature about upgrading mine, I haven’t got any spare space at all anymore as I put the 2nd battery under the drivers seat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you aware the Renogy B2B/Solar reduces the B2B out put if it detects solar. Best to fit a relay switched by the D+ so the solar input is cut with the engine running.

You will need a means of charging the starter battery when stationary, I would fit an Ablemail battery maintainer.

RogerIvy (Off Grid Solutions) will build a custom battery for you and give you a Funster discount.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
I would use a 60 amp fuse from the B2B.

I have a Hymer Exsis, there are a few electrical gubbins under the drivers seat, a 2000w inverter is quite big. Are you sure you have the space with the bus bars as well?

There is a thread in my signature about upgrading mine, I haven’t got any spare space at all anymore as I put the 2nd battery under the drivers seat.
Fuse noted. Thanks.
I read your thread before I started to think about mine, especially when I saw how similar our vans are. I'm going to try and fit the inverter on a shelf above the gubbins, and move the gubbins to one side like you did, but pit the busbars and fuses there. I know that one of the wiring bits is the interface for the Hymer light, but no idea of what the others do (yet!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Are you aware the Renogy B2B/Solar reduces the B2B out put if it detects solar. Best to fit a relay switched by the D+ so the solar input is cut with the engine running.

You will need a means of charging the starter battery when stationary, I would fit an Ablemail battery maintainer.

RogerIvy (Off Grid Solutions) will build a custom battery for you and give you a Funster discount.

The version of the DCDCS that I have allows the parameters to be changed so that you can be more in control of the engine charging side of it. I think it comes set with it going 100% alternator when the solar is less than 13A. I'll check the starter battery top up, but seem to remember (lol) that it does supply a small current to the starter. Regarding the battery, I've already bought 4 x 280Ah prismatics from Fogstar and a BMS from China (the Fogstar BMS didn't have the heater function). I'm going to fit them on their side to reduce the height. That's the plan for now anyway! Once we're happy with the schematic, I'll order wire and connectors and crack on!

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Can anyone recommend suppliers of quality cable, connectors, crimps and cable management stuff please? Is 12v planet as good as any? Wanting quality adhesive ring crimps for the BMS, and rings for the 16mm, 35mm etc Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can anyone recommend suppliers of quality cable, connectors, crimps and cable management stuff please? Is 12v planet as good as any? Wanting quality adhesive ring crimps for the BMS, and rings for the 16mm, 35mm etc Thanks
Off Grid are cheapest on good quality cable and can supply most of the crimps, anything you can't get from them you should be able to get from 12v planet.
Best to avoid eBay unless you know the quality of what you are buying.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
I'm checking out the voltage drop for the cable sizes on my diagram.. For as 4 x 3.2v lithium battery, what value do I use for the nominal system voltage? Obviously, the lower the nominal voltage the higher the voltage drop. Thanks

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I got mine from sunshine solar, all made to measure both length and crimp hole size (battery was 8mm shunt 10mm). Good price and quality and excellent service.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
12.8v iis the nominal voltage quoted for Lithium, they rarely drop below that unless getting very low. They will spend most of their life between 13 to 13.5v.
I use 12.8 for my cLculations.

For the inverter try to get the volt drop down to 1% or less.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
As the dcdc+s is to be fitted under the passenger seat, adjacent to the EBL, can I feed the +ve for the EBL from the +ve Hab connection on the dcdcs? As both upstream and down stream are fused, would it need a separate fuse? (this would leave a spare fuse on the busbar). If all OK, what size fuse would the remaining fuse need to be between the DCDCS Hab +ve and the Hab battery? Wanting to get the cable ordered tomorrow... Thanks for your help

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
I got mine from sunshine solar, all made to measure both length and crimp hole size (battery was 8mm shunt 10mm). Good price and quality and excellent service.
Thank you, I'll check them out. I'm not sure if I'll be able to thread pre-crimped cables through though...

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
12.8v iis the nominal voltage quoted for Lithium, they rarely drop below that unless getting very low. They will spend most of their life between 13 to 13.5v.
I use 12.8 for my cLculations.

For the inverter try to get the volt drop down to 1% or less.
Thanks Lenny HB I didn't know about the 1% for the inverter, so will be careful to use max lengths to make sure I'm within spec. 12.8v nominal. Cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB I didn't know about the 1% for the inverter, so will be careful to use max lengths to make sure I'm within spec. 12.8v nominal. Cheers
3% is the norm to aim for but 1% is my preferable for biggish inverters, I generally aim for less than 2% on everthing else.
For the sake of a bit more expense on the cable I like to get the best out of the system.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Had a bit of a play with a trial fit of the inverter under the drivers seat. Clipped of the cable ties and moved stuff around and there should be enough space for the busbars, and the big inverter cables will be 40cm shorter too.

Question though...what are these?
1000017588.jpg
1000017587.jpg

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
I wish I knew! I have no idea either.
That's funny. I was going to message you as you moved these around too. The fuses are so small. Have you come across a wiring diagram for an Exsis?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I ought to have written "what are these for"
A relay is an electrically operated switch - a large current (amps) can be switched by a very small current. In a vehicle they are used to save long runs of thick wiring.

For example, a horn takes quite a high current, but needs to be switched from the steering column. So a relay is positioned maybe near the battery, with thick power wires from battery to relay, and relay to horn. Then some thin signal wires go from the relay to the steering column to trigger the relay. The steering column switches can be small and light, no need for heavy-duty contacts there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's funny. I was going to message you as you moved these around too. The fuses are so small. Have you come across a wiring diagram for an Exsis?
Hymer don't issue wiring diagrams it's trial & error to find out what they do.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
A relay is an electrically operated switch - a large current (amps) can be switched by a very small current. In a vehicle they are used to save long runs of thick wiring.

For example, a horn takes quite a high current, but needs to be switched from the steering column. So a relay is positioned maybe near the battery, with thick power wires from battery to relay, and relay to horn. Then some thin signal wires go from the relay to the steering column to trigger the relay. The steering column switches can be small and light, no need for heavy-duty contacts there.
I'm so so sorry autorouter to waste your time writing this explanation. Im trying to ask if anyone has specific knowledge as to what circuits on the Exsis i they might be for? Im wondering if its for the water sensor circuits etc.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Hymer don't issue wiring diagrams it's trial & error to find out what they do.
Oh dear! I keep finding fuse stickers all over the place with clues on them, but nothing in this area. So many relays and fuses on the main block suggests that they are factory and not aftermarket.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Oh dear! I keep finding fuse stickers all over the place with clues on them, but nothing in this area. So many relays and fuses on the main block suggests that they are factory and not aftermarket.
It may take time but you could pull them out 1 at a time and see what stopped working?

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
It may take time but you could pull them out 1 at a time and see what stopped working?
I think that will have to be the plan. I'd ike to know what they do for when whatever they are controlling stops working!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Sorry, I have no idea either.

I do know there are some fuses hidden behind the panel on the right hand side under the window, that was fun! đź«Ł

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back