2015 Hymer Exsis i 414 upgrade to Lithium, DCDCS charger/charge controller, inverter thread!! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
Hello All. I'm about to update the hab battery to lithium, charger, solar controller and inverter on my Hymer Exsis i414. My plan is to disable the EBL29 from charging the battery and replace it with a Renogy DCC50S (50A DC/DC Solar). I also plan to fit the Lithium battery in its original location (to the right hand side of the drivers seat where the door step would have been), which meant buying individual cells (280Ah) and a BMS. The inverter will just fit under the drivers seat, and intend to use that location for the busbars and fuses etc.

Would those of you in the know please look at my schematic and let me know if I've made any mistakes? I've spend hours going over this, but you never know what false information you pick up on the way.

I was thinking of using a Blue Sea Systems MRBF busbar fuse set up to reduce the footprint as space will be tight. What are your thoughts on these?

Why does the hab battery have to have a link to the starter battery (existing EBL has one), do I need one?

Do the fuse sizes look OK, I really appreciate your time looking at this for me. Cheers!
20240627_171259.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would use a 60 amp fuse from the B2B.

I have a Hymer Exsis, there are a few electrical gubbins under the drivers seat, a 2000w inverter is quite big. Are you sure you have the space with the bus bars as well?

There is a thread in my signature about upgrading mine, I haven’t got any spare space at all anymore as I put the 2nd battery under the drivers seat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you aware the Renogy B2B/Solar reduces the B2B out put if it detects solar. Best to fit a relay switched by the D+ so the solar input is cut with the engine running.

You will need a means of charging the starter battery when stationary, I would fit an Ablemail battery maintainer.

RogerIvy (Off Grid Solutions) will build a custom battery for you and give you a Funster discount.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
I would use a 60 amp fuse from the B2B.

I have a Hymer Exsis, there are a few electrical gubbins under the drivers seat, a 2000w inverter is quite big. Are you sure you have the space with the bus bars as well?

There is a thread in my signature about upgrading mine, I haven’t got any spare space at all anymore as I put the 2nd battery under the drivers seat.
Fuse noted. Thanks.
I read your thread before I started to think about mine, especially when I saw how similar our vans are. I'm going to try and fit the inverter on a shelf above the gubbins, and move the gubbins to one side like you did, but pit the busbars and fuses there. I know that one of the wiring bits is the interface for the Hymer light, but no idea of what the others do (yet!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Are you aware the Renogy B2B/Solar reduces the B2B out put if it detects solar. Best to fit a relay switched by the D+ so the solar input is cut with the engine running.

You will need a means of charging the starter battery when stationary, I would fit an Ablemail battery maintainer.

RogerIvy (Off Grid Solutions) will build a custom battery for you and give you a Funster discount.

The version of the DCDCS that I have allows the parameters to be changed so that you can be more in control of the engine charging side of it. I think it comes set with it going 100% alternator when the solar is less than 13A. I'll check the starter battery top up, but seem to remember (lol) that it does supply a small current to the starter. Regarding the battery, I've already bought 4 x 280Ah prismatics from Fogstar and a BMS from China (the Fogstar BMS didn't have the heater function). I'm going to fit them on their side to reduce the height. That's the plan for now anyway! Once we're happy with the schematic, I'll order wire and connectors and crack on!

OP
OP
growly_bear
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Can anyone recommend suppliers of quality cable, connectors, crimps and cable management stuff please? Is 12v planet as good as any? Wanting quality adhesive ring crimps for the BMS, and rings for the 16mm, 35mm etc Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can anyone recommend suppliers of quality cable, connectors, crimps and cable management stuff please? Is 12v planet as good as any? Wanting quality adhesive ring crimps for the BMS, and rings for the 16mm, 35mm etc Thanks
Off Grid are cheapest on good quality cable and can supply most of the crimps, anything you can't get from them you should be able to get from 12v planet.
Best to avoid eBay unless you know the quality of what you are buying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back