1999 Neissman Bischoff Flair Life - any good? (1 Viewer)

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
My wife and I are buying our first motorhome and we've seen a 1999 Neissman Bischoff Flair Life for sale and wonder if this make and model is any good and if there's anything we should be looking out for by way of issues and problems they are prone to? Any other information you can share would also be very helpful. Thank you :)

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
Thank you Coastal Cruiser. How do I contact him? I can't see a way of sending a private message to him.

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
Thanks. The one we've seen is RHD with an automatic gearbox. Merc 2.8L diesel engine. Air suspension. Full wet central heating system. Twin inbuilt LPG gas cylinders. By all accounts one of the double glazed side windows gets fogged up so sounds like the seal has gone. Is this a repairable item? Apparently the underneath of the vehicle has been waxed. Seller says this is not in an attempt to hide anything and any inspection is welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They did some of those early Flair life ones on the Merc chassis, nice compact A class excellent quality but at that age it all depends on whose owned it and how it’s been looked after, condition is everything.

Check shower tray for damage, water ingress in exterior lockers, are the cab side glass windows double glazed if so check for condition. Expensive unless you do it yourself which is possible.
Then usual check of everything else, does everything work, condition of inside, upholstery, boiler, any service records for the engine and habitation area?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
They did some of those early Flair life ones on the Merc chassis, nice compact A class excellent quality but at that age it all depends on whose owned it and how it’s been looked after, condition is everything.

Check shower tray for damage, water ingress in exterior lockers, are the cab side glass windows double glazed if so check for condition. Expensive unless you do it yourself which is possible.
Then usual check of everything else, does everything work, condition of inside, upholstery, boiler, any service records for the engine and habitation area?
I have only ever seen one on a Mercedes Chassis.

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
Appreciate the heads up. Just checked the MOT history and last one had a few advisories including both the offside Front Suspension arm ball joint and the nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play. Is this anything to be concerned about. The MOT history also mentions that the underside of vehicle is covered in a protective wax. Any idea why this would be mentioned?

It's a private sale so we're not going to get any warranty, which worries me a bit, especially as the MOT expires mid September. Any thoughts on this?

Oh and it's 3800kg and I was reading somewhere that this has an impact on insurance and road tax costs. Is the weight a big issue?

Thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
First thing to do is go to see it, don’t listen to sellers description unless you know them. Go see the van first, take someone with you preferably who knows about vans.

Where is it located in the country?

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
It's in Dumfries, Scotland. This is the vehicle in question.
<Broken link removed>
Unfortunately we don't know anyone who knows about motorhomes so we're on our own when it comes to viewing and choosing.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Seller does not mention any engine service history or when/if the Alde system has been serviced and the fluid changed.

Plenty to check as I said, windscreen, glass cab windows, engine history, Habitation history, evidence of water ingress in exterior lockers, shower tray, roof for damage, water ingress through front/rear roof seal which needs checking(Easy to replace), then condition of inside and all fittings, upholstery, inside locker doors etc etc

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
Thanks. We've arranged to view on Tuesday so I'll write down what you've said and check it all. If you have any other thoughts I would welcome them :)

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
If it was a choice between this 1999 Neissman Bischoff Flair Life or this 2001 Hymer B544 which would you favour giving our intentions (see below)?

<Broken link removed>

We intend to cut our teeth touring in the UK for the next couple of years and then head off into Europe for an extended excursion. Six months and possibly longer, using Morocco, Croatia etc to get around the 90 in 180 rule. We have a couple of large dogs which we'll take with us in the UK and we'll hold off going abroad until they are no longer with us. So the vehicle needs to accommodate us and all our gear. I like the between floor storage you get with some of the Hymers.

We value the opinion that comes with experience and we have none!

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Both nice vans . I personally like the Hymer more but I don’t have experience with either manufacturer. I am not sure which one has more spares available etc . This would be something to consider.

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
Good point.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If it was a choice between this 1999 Neissman Bischoff Flair Life or this 2001 Hymer B544 which would you favour giving our intentions (see below)?

<Broken link removed>

We intend to cut our teeth touring in the UK for the next couple of years and then head off into Europe for an extended excursion. Six months and possibly longer, using Morocco, Croatia etc to get around the 90 in 180 rule. We have a couple of large dogs which we'll take with us in the UK and we'll hold off going abroad until they are no longer with us. So the vehicle needs to accommodate us and all our gear. I like the between floor storage you get with some of the Hymers.

We value the opinion that comes with experience and we have none!
The flair will be more robust structurally because they were made wood free even then apart from garage floor ( but this one doesnt have one) all N&b s were double floored but not sure about MB chassied one. Merc will probably be a bouncy ride. New d/g cab window from NB will be £2-3k but you might be able to repair or live with it.

Hymer 544 at that age could be any one of a number of engines, the best is the 2.8 jtd you probably dont want the 2.5. Also a well made motorhome but has more wood in it so need to check carefully. Lots of them around.

With 2 people plus 2 dogs long term I would be buying something bigger with a fixed bed. Yes its going to be over 3500kgs but anything decent will be, no probs if you have C1 on your licence. Whatever else you do, dont buy anything of whatever age without somebody who knows what they re doing having a look, they are a complicated box of bits with endless capacity for going wrong.

Hth
Jon

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Biggest point is do you have a license which allows you to drive over 3500kgs ?
As far as any vehicle is concerned it’s all down to payload. Two of you plus two big dogs, how much can you/ do you need to carry, do plenty of research with regards to payloads.

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
That does help Jon, thank you. No problem with the driving license, I'm qualified to drive a bigger vehicle. Our biggest problem is we don't know anyone who owns or who has owned one, so don't have anyone who can help us assess a used vehicle :(

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That does help Jon, thank you. No problem with the driving license, I'm qualified to drive a bigger vehicle. Our biggest problem is we don't know anyone who owns or who has owned one, so don't have anyone who can help us assess a used vehicle :(
Is this vehicle local to you? Or are you in surrey? Or are you trying to buy down to a price? There are not as many motorhomes available as normally was the case but I wouldnt go 500 miles to look at that one unless I specifically wanted that model.

The choice of 3500-4500kgs is huge, you might get lucky at £20k but I would be prepared to up the budget a bit and have a good look at a few before committing and maybe rent one for a week see how you get on.

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
No, we live in north cumbria now, so only about 70 miles from the N&B. The Hymer is in Lincolnshire.

Is there anyone (individual/company) who we can pay to check over a vehicle? My wife found a company online called HabCheck and another called Dekra UK. We're wondering if this would be a sensible way to go. We don't want to make a bad purchasing decision.

Also are there any companies offering good motorhome warranties for further peace of mind?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh and it's 3800kg and I was reading somewhere that this has an impact on insurance and road tax costs. Is the weight a big issue?
I don’t think it would make any difference to insurance and being over 3500kg means the road tax will be cheaper than 3500kg at £165

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
No, we live in north cumbria now, so only about 70 miles from the N&B. The Hymer is in Lincolnshire.

Is there anyone (individual/company) who we can pay to check over a vehicle? My wife found a company online called HabCheck and another called Dekra UK. We're wondering if this would be a sensible way to go. We don't want to make a bad purchasing decision.

Also are there any companies offering good motorhome warranties for further peace of mind?
Wissel is over that way??

He doesn't know much though!😉😉😉

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Get them to put a mot on it for a start if you have it and any problem delt with and it looks nice moterhome

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You are unlikely to get any warranty on a vehicle of that age and it would be worthless if called upon anyway.
The N&B part looks exceptional for it age ,however,as N+B built Motorhomes of this vintage like the preferable Brick you know what this is no surprise. Todays equivelant 250k this says everything.
The Mercedes engine is barely run in it’s good for 500k miles+ if serviced.
At that price it’s a gift and if you have to put a bit more in to the mechanicals look at it as a piece of mind investment.
This is a plus…You can take it back to N+B’s factory in Polch aa easy days drive from the Calais and they will service the Motorhome part no problem,ask Hymer to do that? The answer is No.
Don‘t overthink your decision it’s always easy to look for reasons not to buy,look at the positives.
l have owned two N+B’s.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back