Vienna

30th May 2023
18-Ptuj-Vienna.png
I'll state now if you are looking for information and pictures of walking around Vienna and the touristy hot spots don't go any further.
The plan was to go to Donaupark Campsite Klosterneuburg, outside of Vienna and take the train in. No of us had been to Vienna (Except for Angela again before we met, shes been everywhere) and a few people had said it was beautiful. (We kind of knew that anyway).
So off we go.
We get to the site about 2pm and trot into the office where a nice lady asks us for our booking ref. We say we haven't one and she just laughs at us. The site is full until next friday when the kids go back.
For the last month we have been lulled into a false sense of security with all the campsites being quite empty but now we are back into "mainland" europe and everything is full again. You cant say its bad planning (because I planned it) as we didn't know when we would be here. A little further north is a free aire at the train station. Paul is keen to stay here but the piles of broken glass from broken windscreens make me unsure. When I point them out to Paul he feels the same. So, if we want to visit Vienna we will have to go the the large Stellplatz in the city. We ring them up and they have spaces. Driving though Vienna, even in a small van is no fun. Nose to nose traffic. The stellplatz is okay, if a little expensive (€30 -€5 for no electric). (http://www.reisemobilstellplatz-wien.at/)
Its been a long day so we go to the local Spar 100m away and get some supplies, beer and crisps and chill for an hour. In the evening we suss out the local underground station. To get to the center we need to get two trains and then a tram.
We then find somewhere to eat. We end up at an Italian place and three of us have a pizza and one of us has pasta carbonara.
The next morning we find that Ang has been up all night, sick as a dog. Paul and Ang are in no mood or fit state to take 2 underground trains then a tram to visit Vienna. I ask Angela if we should go on our own, as Paul and Ang will look after Sam. Then Angela says she's not bothered as I've been before and it's a bit "over-rated". I say I'm not that bothered either, Paul and Ang say they weren't bothered anyway. So to my mid what is the point in staying another night, we should just clear off.
Krems was on the list, further down the Danube, their website says they are also full but Paul rings them up and we get the last 2 pitches so off we go.
I'm sure Vienna is a lovely place, I had visions of tracing doorways where Harry Lime was and taking lots of pictures but it was not to be. Anyway, if it meant nothing to Midge Ure it would mean nothing to me. Aaaah well Vienna.
  • HeartHug
Reactions: suavecarve

More entries from Broko

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Broko
Read time
3 min read
Views
Last update