Bamberg

12th June 2023
23-Cheb-Bamburg.png
Camping Insel is on the river to the east of Bamberg and its an easy cycle ride into the town. It is easy if you go the right way. I was in front and went sailing past the bridge we should have crossed. When we got to the end of the cycle path there was a very steep footpath up into the south part of the town which we wouldn't have walked up, nevermind pushing bikes. Very luckily at this point was a small one man ferry boat that would take you across for €1. Seeing as it was either a massive hill or three mile detour back we thought it was a bargain.

IMG_9494.JPG
We parked up the bikes at the tourist information where there were plenty of places to securely lock them.
The most famous building is the townhall or Rathaus.
DSC_8959.JPGDSC_8969.JPGDSC_8975.JPGDSC_8984.JPGDSC_8990.JPG
Everywhere around is beautiful old timber buildings.
DSC_8949.JPGDSC_8952.JPGDSC_8988.JPG
We had a beer and something to eat at the Hofbrau near the townhall.
After which we walked up the hill to the cathedral and gardens. It would have been better doing it the other way round but nevermind. Its not a big hill though.
DSC_8993.JPGDSC_9005.JPGDSC_9007.JPG
Behind the palace is the rosegarden.

DSC_9008.JPG
All very nice.
Back down into the town.
IMG_9561.JPG
Bamberg is a medieval town full of timber buildings and full of pubs. There are a couple of old breweries , which each one claims to be the oldest and a dozen more that don't care. The "specialty" of Bamberg is smoked beer. The most famous being Schlenkerla Rauchbier. If you like beer, as I do, you have to try it.
DSC_9044.JPGDSC_9045.JPG
I'll be honest I thought it was awful. You when some beers say there a tones of this and that, usually coffee and chocolate and you can hardly taste it, this smokiness is overpowering. The say the second is better than the first and the third better than the second. Well they would say that. I would rather taste others so went after one. The bar itself is great though and other none smoked beers are available.
As time was getting on we said we would come back the next day and explore some more.
This we did. One of the areas in the town is little Venice. Houses built on stilts along the river.

DSC_9020.JPGDSC_9024.JPGDSC_9035.JPGIMG_9557.JPG

We walked along both side and then back up to the cathedral. Just behind it was the old court house but it had been taken over by a theatre company and it was not easy to see it.
IMG_9562.JPGIMG_9565.JPG
Back down in the town again we (or rather I) searched out the other oldest brewery, the Klosterbrau.
Here we all had the Schwarzla bier which was fabulous.
IMG_9569.JPGDSC_9059.JPG
I bought a couple of bottles and a couple of there Braun bier as well as a nice glass to drink it from.
We got there at 2pm when it opened Sam was allowed inside. I suggested we ate in here, so I could get another beer and we had Currywurst and chips.

Bamberg is a great place to visit, especially if you like a beer but so is everywhere else in Bavaria.

More entries from Broko

Comments

Journal entry information

Author
Broko
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

Share this entry

Alan Kerr,